Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 upgrade to "Mark I" or Mark II

I am reading all the commentary if is worth the money upgrading from a K-1 to a K-1 mark II .. I am planning to upgrade from my K-3 and am curious if for $300 more I should go Mark II or save the $300 and go "Mark I" ?
thoughts?

04-23-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the Mk 1 is suberb by all counts I don't think you can go wrong. To me spending another $300 would come down to what other items I had slotted to spend that money on. If you already have sufficient full frame lenses and don't need the extra $300 for anything (improved tripod for example if that's a need) then maybe go for it. If there are gaps in the lens coverage that you really want or other gear issues I might hold off on the extra and spend the money where it is more needed.

What are your reasons for moving to the K-1 and what if any challenges in gear do you have that might impede this?
04-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since the Mk 1 is suberb by all counts I don't think you can go wrong. To me spending another $300 would come down to what other items I had slotted to spend that money on. If you already have sufficient full frame lenses and don't need the extra $300 for anything (improved tripod for example if that's a need) then maybe go for it. If there are gaps in the lens coverage that you really want or other gear issues I might hold off on the extra and spend the money where it is more needed.

What are your reasons for moving to the K-1 and what if any challenges in gear do you have that might impede this?
Thanks Uncle--
Currently, I have the following FF Lenses:
- Sigma 24 1.8 EX DG Macro,
- Pentax FA 50 1.4, and
- Sigma 100 2.8
Why move to a K-1 (II)? it's full frame and if I can ever move to FF, it is now. better Dynamic Range, less noise..
I love my K-3 and will keep it using the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 50-135, mostly.. and will either sell my k-5 or most likely convert it to IR only..
04-23-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Thanks Uncle--
Currently, I have the following FF Lenses:
- Sigma 24 1.8 EX DG Macro,
- Pentax FA 50 1.4, and
- Sigma 100 2.8
Why move to a K-1 (II)? it's full frame and if I can ever move to FF, it is now. better Dynamic Range, less noise..
I love my K-3 and will keep it using the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 50-135, mostly.. and will either sell my k-5 or most likely convert it to IR only..
So no FF zoom at all? Maybe save the $300 and try to score a 28-105 WR for a walkabout zoom and "settle" for the K-1 mk1? Granted you have 3 primes that cover that range.

04-23-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If better dynamic range & less noise is your key reason for moving from the K-3 to the K-1, it's also the reason to move from the K-1 to the K-1ii.

The other rationale for paying the extra $300 is the better AF on the K-1ii than the K-1.
04-23-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If better dynamic range & less noise is your key reason for moving from the K-3 to the K-1, it's also the reason to move from the K-1 to the K-1ii.

The other rationale for paying the extra $300 is the better AF on the K-1ii than the K-1.
Personally, I'd be surprised if K-1 ii has a better DR than K-1.
04-23-2018, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd probably wait a month or two until there are more solid and detailed reviews comparing the two head to head. The initial impressions of the dynamic pixel shift on the Mk2 seem good, so that on it's own might be worth it. But I'd hold off until more information is available.

04-23-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am reading all the commentary if is worth the money upgrading from a K-1 to a K-1 mark II .. I am planning to upgrade from my K-3 and am curious if for $300 more I should go Mark II or save the $300 and go "Mark I" ?
thoughts?
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd probably wait a month or two until there are more solid and detailed reviews comparing the two head to head. The initial impressions of the dynamic pixel shift on the Mk2 seem good, so that on it's own might be worth it. But I'd hold off until more information is available.
I agree, it's still a little bit to early to tell.

I have been comparing the two cameras and so far the difference between the K-1 and K-1 II (noise/color performance wise) seems to be smaller than the difference we observed between the K-3 and KP. This does make sense, given that the KP got a newer-gen sensor, whereas the sensor in the K-1 II remains unchanged. Any observable difference would solely be attributable to the image accelerator chip that's been added.

Dynamic pixel shift works well, but also takes extra processing time.

The K-1 II's autofocus seems a little more eager to get going, but that could just be my biased opinion. Still haven't done any controlled tests in that respect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2018, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Photos: Gallery
I went from K3 to K1mk2 and there's a world of difference. The Auto focus feels miles ahead. More accurate is an understatement, the low light feels much better too colour wise. The shadows look much better, there's just more oomph =)

I went with the k1mk2 because it had the better auto focus algorithms and it pays off. I can't compare to the K1 because I've never used it. Whichever one you choose you'll be happy. Now if only they would make a 24MP FF, that would be great
04-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I went from K3 to K1mk2 and there's a world of difference. The Auto focus feels miles ahead. More accurate is an understatement, the low light feels much better too colour wise. The shadows look much better, there's just more oomph =)

I went with the k1mk2 because it had the better auto focus algorithms and it pays off. I can't compare to the K1 because I've never used it. Whichever one you choose you'll be happy. Now if only they would make a 24MP FF, that would be great
thanks for the input.. CNunez - may I ask which lenses are you using with your mk2?
04-23-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the input.. CNunez - may I ask which lenses are you using with your mk2?
my go to lenses are:

24-70mm DFA 2.8
100mm DFA 2.8 Macro
Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art
Samyang 85mm 1.4
04-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
my go to lenses are:

24-70mm DFA 2.8
100mm DFA 2.8 Macro
Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art
Samyang 85mm 1.4
I did not know the Sigma Arts worked with Pentax...wow. I'll have to check them out

Last edited by neal_grillot; 04-23-2018 at 05:05 PM.
04-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I think the 35mm is the only one released for K-mount.
04-24-2018, 03:13 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think the 35mm is the only one released for K-mount.
Also the 18-35mm Art (APS-C).

04-26-2018, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

thoughts?
You could potentially save more than that by buying a used Mark I and then upgrading it to Mark II. Of course, you would have to wait for the upgrade to be performed, which may not be worth it. No free battery grip also in the current deal if you care about that.