Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Nice one. I must have extraordinarily shaky hands. That cat must have been very idle. I usually shoot my three 1 year olds at 1/125 to 1/250 to avoid motion blur.
My buddy was lying next to me trying to qute enough that I'd put down my tablet and pay attention to her .... I had to use 1/4 second because the only light came from a nearby table lamp. IBIS cannot compensate for motion blur, of course, so we have to up the shutter speed to deal with those situations, regardless how steady our hands are.

04-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Those were great night shots ! 1/4 and 1/5 shutter speed handheld ? I have never seen the SR work this well on my previous bodies (K200D and K-30).
Were you using Dynamic Pixel Shift or just SR ?

Waiting for my K-1 II to arrive tuesday with the 28-105 . Have the DA 50 already. Can't wait.
Just regular shots. No pixel shift.
06-03-2018, 03:20 PM - 9 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got some kind of rare unit. This 4x60sec sensor shift panorama with focus stack has ZERO white dots. No LENR used.

Irix 15mm, Irix ND16 gel filter on rear slot and 95mm Irix CPL filter. Ambient temp about +15C. I would say this is word class long exposure performance in FF camp. Exiftool (to make the RAW appear as MK-1 file) and LR used for PEF conversion.
06-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I got some kind of rare unit. This 4x60sec sensor shift panorama with focus stack has ZERO white dots. No LENR used.
That's impressive I wonder if this is indicative of the camera generally, or if you do indeed have a particularly good copy of the camera?

Beautiful photo, by the way...

06-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Irix 15mm, Irix ND16 gel filter on rear slot and 95mm Irix CPL filter. Ambient temp about +15C. I would say this is word class long exposure performance in FF camp. Exiftool (to make the RAW appear as MK-1 file) and LR used for PEF conversion.
MJKoski Very nicely captured. Beautiful images.

I don't think it is a special unit I just think what you are seeing is what Ricoh said the Accelerator Unit was going to do. Deliver better files when it comes to noise and color fidelity.

What you are describing translates into better B&W conversions. Especially when ISO increases.

In the DPR comparison tool you can see the white dot noise start from ISO 200 for the K-1, D850 and A7RIII compared to the K-1MKII. At around ISO 800 the white dot noise balloons into red, blue and green dots. This can clearly be observed by looking at just part of the grey background of the DPR Studio Comparison Tool then increasing the ISO. As ISO increases the K-1MKII has a much finer grain appearance.
06-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shot.
06-28-2018, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for comments. Previous weekend I took 300 second exposure in rather nasty weather conditions with 100mm WR macro, without LENR of course. Like the one above, I could not find a single white dot in the image. Ambient temp about +15C.

Now after many long exposures it is clear to me that the filtering also occurs at ISO100 when doing long exposures. The triggering level is somewhere under 30 seconds like I noticed with KP. It is however different compared to "high" ISO filtering. The accelerator seems to do similar thing as Sony spatial filtering which made A7r1 a great long exposure option in Sony camp (quite a bit better than R2 or R3).

06-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Previous weekend I took 300 second exposure in rather nasty weather conditions with 100mm WR macro, without LENR of course. Like the one above, I could not find a single white dot in the image. Ambient temp about +15C.
Oh my... that is a strikingly beautiful image, and beautifully captured. Very, very nice indeed. Superb work!
06-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for comments. Previous weekend I took 300 second exposure in rather nasty weather conditions with 100mm WR macro, without LENR of course. Like the one above, I could not find a single white dot in the image. Ambient temp about +15C.

Now after many long exposures it is clear to me that the filtering also occurs at ISO100 when doing long exposures. The triggering level is somewhere under 30 seconds like I noticed with KP. It is however different compared to "high" ISO filtering. The accelerator seems to do similar thing as Sony spatial filtering which made A7r1 a great long exposure option in Sony camp (quite a bit better than R2 or R3).
Amazing how an artist can turn a dull or even ugly scene into a thing of beauty. This photo just glows, MJKoski.
02-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
In camera processing time

Playing with ND filter with a K-1 mII.
I found that an exposure of 30 secondes in bulb mode takes forever to process in camera
I figure out that a 30 seconds exposure takes about more than 15 seconds to process in camera.
A 80 seconds takes at least 1 minutes.
Is it a normal behavior?
Should I change any setup in camera?
Thank you for your help.
02-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You probably have the automatic noise reduction for longer exposures turned on.