Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-1 vs Fujifilm X-H1

I'm considering selling my K-1 and full frame lenses and moving to the Fujifilm APS-C body X-H1. I've rented the Fuji along with two lenses, the 56mm F1.2 and the 90mm F2.0. I will be comparing this kit to my K-1 and the 77mm F1.8 limited and the Rokinon 135mm F2.0 . My work is mostly portraits in studio and some weddings and events. The other lens I use with the K-1 is the Samyang 24mm F1.4.
This is what I've noticed so far when comparing the two systems:
I'm 64 years old and I really like the large LCD on the K-1 and the ability to enlarge the text on the screen enough so I can see my camera settings at a glance without glasses. The Fuji X-H1 does not (yet) have the ability to change the text size on the LCD and the font/size it uses is too small. However, the electronic viewfinder shows the settings in large sizes and is easily read. I use the viewfinder instead of the LCD to preview/review my images instead of the LCD.
There is no comparison in regards to focus speed/accuracy. The Fuji wins hands down. Even comparing the Pentax 28-105 zoom, the Fuji lenses are faster. I know that Sony mirrorless cameras have eye focus and Sony cameras are better than Fuji but I am still very impressed with the Fuji.
In terms of image quality, the Fuji images are very good. If you pixel peep, you can see the K-1 has sharper images. However when comparing color and contrast, they are very, very close.
I have not spent any time looking at the Fuji video performance because I am a stills shooter. My experience using the K-1 and manual lenses has, I think, been helpful to my progress being a better photographer. You have to plan in advance every image you shoot which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, I miss those in- between poses and candid shots because of my manual lenses or , in the case of the 77mm limited, the focus not being fast or accurate enough.
I will let you guys know after spending more time with the Fuji what else I see in terms of performance differences and if I decide to switch systems.

04-28-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is not easy to have auto-focus to get us well focused images with manual focus lenses. Fuji X-H1 is interest from AF and ergonomics standpoints, however, at this size I don't understand why they did not give it a better battery capacity, A7III is better in this respect, and not more expensive. The price / quality is what I don't like with Fuji.
04-28-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #3

You might want to wait for the DFA 50mm release to see how it performs on the K1 for autofocus speed and accuracy. (Frankly though you'd expect them to have the 85mm out by now.) In my experience the screw drive lenses aren't great for accuracy around AF, and the DFA 24-70 and the 70-200 are by far the best focusing lenses on the K1 you can use for portraits. The 70-200 is truly great but it is heavy and expensive, and for that money you've got a new camera and change to spare.

I'm of a similar mind, dropping the K1 or keeping it for landscape and slower work, and looking at a different system for better AF, except I'm looking at Sony. A7 III doesn't cost much more than the X-H1. Eye autofocus seems to be a killer feature for portraits as to ease of use. On top of that, the spread of the autofocus points on the new Sony blows me away.

https://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Sony-A7III-mirrorless-camera-AF-points.jpg

The way that DSLRs cluster their autofocus points in the centre is a bit of a downside when you want to fill the frame... the point of interest in a portrait is so often outside the centre cluster.

Compare the A7 III spread with the Fuji:

Fujifilm X-H1 Autofocus Explained | Fuji Addict

That said, I'm only looking at the specs, I've shot with neither outside of a camera store.

Another factor would be to look at what lenses you want now and what lenses you want in the long-term, prices for systems.
04-28-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 isn't wedding friendly. That would be my comment. Fuji or Sony... Winder had a post about this a while ago, He loves his A9 for weddings.

04-28-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You have summarized well. There is no 3rd party lens support for Fuji yet.

I think it is better to go with the system that gives maximum output for the amount of time that we spend taking pictures. It is like buying a machine with faster cpu. If the system is able to compensate for inadequate technique that is not bad People who want to learn they will still learn.
04-28-2018, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

For studio work, the static setups suit FF and MF, but for image quality you're working at f8, f11 with controlled lighting - APS-C like that Fuji or a K3 is perfectly adequate.
04-28-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How big are your final prints? If your clients want them 48" wide, the K-1 will be better; if 24"x16" or less then you pays your money and you takes your choice.

04-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Due to medium format digital camera being the worst in terms of auto-focus and speed of operation, I've always wondered why professionals use them.
04-28-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Due to medium format digital camera being the worst in terms of auto-focus and speed of operation, I've always wondered why professionals use them.
"Big camera" syndrome + "big print" syndrome.

Bigger is better even if it's not necessary and comes with other compromises.
04-28-2018, 02:24 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect for portrait, commercial, fashion, landscape, still life, wedding photography, and you may get your living from any of those.

Not great for events and sports, sure. But you're allowed to own more than one camera, BE!
04-28-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
You might want to wait for the DFA 50mm release to see how it performs on the K1 for autofocus speed and accuracy. (Frankly though you'd expect them to have the 85mm out by now.) In my experience the screw drive lenses aren't great for accuracy around AF, and the DFA 24-70 and the 70-200 are by far the best focusing lenses on the K1 you can use for portraits. The 70-200 is truly great but it is heavy and expensive, and for that money you've got a new camera and change to spare.

I'm of a similar mind, dropping the K1 or keeping it for landscape and slower work, and looking at a different system for better AF, except I'm looking at Sony. A7 III doesn't cost much more than the X-H1. Eye autofocus seems to be a killer feature for portraits as to ease of use. On top of that, the spread of the autofocus points on the new Sony blows me away.

https://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Sony-A7III-mirrorless-camera-AF-points.jpg

The way that DSLRs cluster their autofocus points in the centre is a bit of a downside when you want to fill the frame... the point of interest in a portrait is so often outside the centre cluster.

Compare the A7 III spread with the Fuji:

Fujifilm X-H1 Autofocus Explained | Fuji Addict

That said, I'm only looking at the specs, I've shot with neither outside of a camera store.

Another factor would be to look at what lenses you want now and what lenses you want in the long-term, prices for systems.
Yes, I also considered the Sony A7iii. It does have better focusing and better image quality than the Fuji X-H1. But there are negatives- Although the
Sony body is weather resistant many people have commented on the flimsy build and poor weather sealing. The other is although the body is small the full frame lenses are big, heavy and more expensive than the Fuji equivalents. Unlike the simplicity of Pentax and Fuji for using buttons & dials instead of burying controls in sub menus many people do not like the Sony menu/ control systems. The Fuji is built pretty well , although when comparing it to my Pentax K-1, the Pentax is built like a tank!

Last edited by dfp771; 04-28-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Continuing reasons...
04-28-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
You have summarized well. There is no 3rd party lens support for Fuji yet.
Theres plenty of manual lenses and there is a few AF adapters for CaNik mounts that work quite well.So in fact, there are many, many lenses that can be used on Fuji.
04-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #13
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-1 isn't wedding friendly. That would be my comment. Fuji or Sony... Winder had a post about this a while ago, He loves his A9 for weddings.
Why do you think, the K1 isn't wedding friendly? What exactly do you mean?
04-29-2018, 01:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It is the image aspect ratio. Portraits are not too tall and normal orientation provides much more headroom for architectural photos. After using 4x5 for a year I have noticed that 3:2 format is quite useless for most scenes being usable for only beach rock wide angle shots and alike.
04-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wouldn't go that far. A wedding isn't a sporting event and a K-1 will keep up fine. My wife shoots weddings and the only down side she ever sees is that the buffer fills up pretty fast when you are writing to both cards.

Obviously cameras improve over time, but six or seven years ago a lot of wedding photographers were still using D700 and 5D MK II cameras. And before that top end APS-C cameras. I doubt highly that most wedding photographers have the funds for an A9, nor would they need those sort of specs (much more likely to go with a A7r or something like that for Sony) and I have never seen a Fuji camera in the wild.

Be that as it may, good luck to the OP.