Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
But you don't even own a K-1 body, what do you know about pixel shift implementation in that particular product?
Well said Awscreo! Pixel Shift is a "joke" only to those who either have never used it, or don't know how to use it properly.

05-14-2018, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Well said Awscreo! Pixel Shift is a "joke" only to those who either have never used it, or don't know how to use it properly.
I just don't get it, why people feel the need to do this sort of things honestly. Why not just enjoy the equipment they have. Since I sold my mft gear I haven't visited the old mft forum once, because I didn't feel I need to go there and prove superiority of the ff format over mft. But I saw people doing that when I was on that forum, and I see it here too, and it's just something I don't understand.
05-14-2018, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
IBIS- many have it (crop or FF) ; tilt and shift simulation (mostly for architecture shots; still no specific photographer drops the money for this feature) ; Pixelshift- it' s a joke with a very very narrow field of applicability (perfect static shots- full static- like welded static) , Cleaning the sensor by US when turning on (not the only ones) .
Don't forget Astrotracer and AA simulator -

but the point is that innovation isn't measured by how many people you think will buy the camera because of it - a business decision might be, but not innovation per se.- and who knows what other functions might arise from perfecting a technology that others aren't pursuing.
05-14-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Out with the old and in with the new" is their motto.
Yes, because old products don't generate revenue for their business. Keeping backward compatibility has the advantage not to alienate long time customers but that does not generate much profits. New lens mount has the advantage of enabling sales of entirely new systems, generates a lot more revenue than just making a new camera model for using legacy glass. Eventually, making a new mount that is compatible with crippled adapter is the way to go: a first, customers buy the new camera body thinking they'll use lenses they already own, but after a bit of usage, they realize the adapter is not working perfectly, making them buy new glass for the new mount.

05-14-2018, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #320
Veteran Member

You said IBIS. Let me ask you this: Have you felt that you are losing shots because of the IBIS? Did you feel it was primitive in any way? I believe nobody every complained about IBIS, for a matter of fact few people are interested in it, when choosing a camera (contrary to a big point, let' s say AF) .
Yes of course, I lost shots because there was not IBIS in Canon EOS 5D/5DMKII/6D I had. Shooting at 1/8s with a Canon (22Mp) without IBIS is doomed to fail, compared to Pentax K-1 36Mp with IBIS, for sure, no doubt! I can take a 1/8s picture without IBIS with my Leica R6: Canon nor Nikon can do it! I work with Leica-R lenses, so I am free of any brands... If Sony gives me camera enough to switch, I switch as I did from Nikon to Canon to Pentax... I am not subject to any brand, so I think I am trustable...

Tilt and shift function, very niche' I suppose it is useful, didn' t hear anyone jumping the gun on Pentax because of that (I am not in the business in talking to people how to spend money on cameras- granted) ;
Yes, you are right, it's a niche, but it's my concern anyway.

Pixelshift- promising, if nothing is moving (just like Pentax' s sales because of this I suppose) .
Still wrong, RawTherapee is a fantastic tool to work with Pixel Shift mode and useful, no doubt... Besides, I use it for scanning my negatives, It's better than Imacon...

Let' s shift to something else Pentax could improve (meaning, really come in this century) : Autofocus, Lens line- up, Software flexibility (and people can come here with their own desires and needs; more or less specific) , mirrorles technology (MF mirrorless is rocking now- they lost the train on this so so bad) , good EVF (for mirrorles- Nikon is announcing a Mirrorles camera- guessing Canon soon) .
I don't mind about autofocus. Not having autofocus never prevent me to shoot. I can focuse wherever my eye wants to, and not the autofocus module wants me to... Mirrorless technology is a retina killer and nobody speaks about it, why?
05-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #321
Veteran Member

Hello,

IBIS- many have it (crop or FF) ; tilt and shift simulation (mostly for architecture shots; still no specific photographer drops the money for this feature) ; Pixelshift- it' s a joke with a very very narrow field of applicability (perfect static shots- full static- like welded static) , Cleaning the sensor by US when turning on (not the only ones) .

Let' s get the term `innovation` :

Innovation can be defined simply as a "new idea, device or method".[1] However, innovation is often also viewed[by whom?] as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.[2] Such innovation takes place through the provision of more-effective products, processes, services, technologies, or business models that are made available to markets, governments and society. The term "innovation" can be defined[by whom?] as something original and more effective and, as a consequence, new, that "breaks into" the market or society.[3] Innovation is related to, but not the same as, invention,[4] as innovation is more apt to involve the practical implementation of an invention (i.e. new/improved ability) to make a meaningful impact in the market or society,[5] and not all innovations require an invention. Innovation often[quantify] manifests itself via the engineering process, when the problem being solved is of a technical or scientific nature. The opposite of innovation is exnovation.
While a novel device is often described[by whom?] as an innovation, in economics, management science, and other fields of practice and analysis, innovation is generally considered to be the result of a process that brings together various novel ideas in such a way that they affect society. In industrial economics, innovations are created and found[by whom?] empirically from services to meet growing consumer demand.[6][7][8]

Me, personally I am interested in the first characteristic.
But OK, I' ll lead the thread in the direction you' ve replied it. So they perfect something. You said IBIS. Let me ask you this: Have you felt that you are losing shots because of the IBIS? Did you feel it was primitive in any way? I believe nobody every complained about IBIS, for a matter of fact few people are interested in it, when choosing a camera (contrary to a big point, let' s say AF) . Tilt and shift function, very niche' I suppose it is useful, didn' t hear anyone jumping the gun on Pentax because of that (I am not in the business in talking to people how to spend money on cameras- granted) ; Pixelshift- promising, if nothing is moving (just like Pentax' s sales because of this I suppose) .
Let' s shift to something else Pentax could improve (meaning, really come in this century) : Autofocus, Lens line- up, Software flexibility (and people can come here with their own desires and needs; more or less specific) , mirrorles technology (MF mirrorless is rocking now- they lost the train on this so so bad) , good EVF (for mirrorles- Nikon is announcing a Mirrorles camera- guessing Canon soon) .

Don' t hate/ discredit people for having other camera brands (not directed necessarily towards yourself, as I don' t know your position on this) . I started shooting Sony as well, and it' s customization enough to have it feel like a Pentax (button layout, being used to it) .

However, I do agree that phones are the main competition, killing the entry- level to mid- level gear market.

Threads like this seem in the category of `conspiracy theories` , which is really in the field of fanboys (Pentax doesn' t even exist in the eyes of the competition/ big brands) . It' s like most here forget it' s a place of photography and the brand (not rooster measuring) .

Have a nice day!
Aren't you a Sony user posting at a Pentax Forum to bash Pentax cameras and users?

It is clear you have no credibility from your own standards not to "hate/discredit people for having other camera brands".
05-14-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #322
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friendly reminder to all to not post personal comments. Let's get back on topic, or I'll close the thread.

05-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #323

Pixelshift- it' s a joke with a very very narrow field of applicability (perfect static shots- full static- like welded static)
Well, you need a sturdy tripod for Pixelshift. For scene motion or changing light during captures there are solutions in post processing.
05-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
But you don't even own a K-1 body, what do you know about pixel shift implementation in that particular product?
FYI - RawTherapee does a splendid job masking out movement artifacts, and what you're left with is a whistle clean image and a ton of detail.
Just to illustrate the artifacts management - look a the image below.

Waterfall at Cascade lakes
by Timur Dzhambinov, on Flickr
Really Nice picture. That would also be quite a sight in the spring when the river is running high.
05-14-2018, 06:45 PM - 4 Likes   #325
Pentaxian

"I think that the image quality of K-1 Mark II is not as bad as DPReview says ",a long article from a user.
PENTAX K-1 Mark II????????K-1??????????DPReview?????????? - ?????
05-14-2018, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #326
Pentaxian

I am enjoying my Pentax K-1 II. It is an excellent performer.
05-14-2018, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #327
Veteran Member

The president of Sony touts their bleeding edge technology, and puts down older legacy lenses. That statement says a lot to me about the overall philosophy of Sony's Photography Division.
Clearly, their profits are in the lenses. You only have to look at the Sony lens prices to see that. I have a whole collection of inexpensive Pentax lenses, mostly used, many FF acquired for just $100 each. You just can't have that for Sony . Sure, you can mount Pentax lenses on a Sony body, but you will lose autofocus and auto-exposure, as well as EXIF lens data. Kind of pointless to own a DSLR if every lens has those limitations.
05-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #328
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get your tinfoil hats ready. A (couple) of big companies will want to kill the market Pentax has (marginal to non- existent/ competitive) . Are you people adults? I honestly doubt that and can' t imagine you are taken seriously. You advocate that 1% like is the holynes of photography and yet blabberd when others came with other moderate improvements compared to Pentax. Pentax has 0 innovation (look the word up before citting the x year old sensor improvements, yada yada) , but is a a camera (whatever model you have) . So, what' s this teenagerish acting?
The top end of the market (let's say $2000 plus) is very nasty and competitive now, Urssu.

It's the only way the camera manufacturers can make money with consumers turning to phones.

You can say little Pentax was not involved, but it's always had the 645 and in the last couple of years a full frame product too.

In the case of DPR's staff writers, they can't bash the people who spend the most on marketing (and inviting them to events and functions), they try to prove they're a hard-hitting journo by doing it to a minor brand.

Being rung up on Monday morning by a Ricoh exec with a complaint doesn't compare to the consequences of an angry Sony or Nikon PR person on the phone.

This also happens in car reviews, film reviews, etc etc. If you're well-connected, you can get a great ride from the media.
05-15-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
"I think that the image quality of K-1 Mark II is not as bad as DPReview says ",a long article from a user.
Thank you for the link. I read it and hisway306 made a very serious and eloquant review. Bravo.

Last edited by teiki arii; 05-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
05-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
PENTAX K-1 Mark II????????K-1??????????DPReview?????????? - ?????
That is excellent material.
Closed Thread