Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 01:18 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 II with class leading maximum dynamic range and ISO invariance

I wonder why nobody mentioned this outstanding performance:

Dynamic range: How much can you pull up the shadows without destroying the image by noise? How much detail is retained then in the raws?

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

and

plus

and

Here the subpar loss of details and more noise by (more expensive) cameras such as D850, D810, A7RIII and K-1 I versus the K-1 II is quite visible. Good job, Pentax.

Last edited by beholder3; 05-13-2018 at 02:03 PM.
05-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is a very good point, in the fray of the over blown (IMO) loss of detail debate.

I also noted that in terms of noise the A7RIII has a terrible rendering of noise - especially over the portrait images.

I'm not sure I will bother updating my K-1 but if I was buying new I would go for the K-1 II quite frankly.
05-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that it betters both the Sony A7III and the A9 at ISO100+6EV.
05-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting that it betters both the Sony A7III and the A9 at ISO100+6EV.

True.

But then you should take a look at Sony A9 versus Canon 5D IV as well. People always tell the narrative of Canon's poor dynamic range.
And then you find out that you have more latitude in a 5D than in Sony's extra expensive flagship.

05-13-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
True.

But then you should take a look at Sony A9 versus Canon 5D IV as well. People always tell the narrative of Canon's poor dynamic range.
And then you find out that you have more latitude in a 5D than in Sony's extra expensive flagship.
I imagine that’s unlikely to get a headline there, either.
05-13-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Agreed.
05-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

check out the lenses used for the comparison. much debate can be had over that detail too.

05-13-2018, 02:51 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I think this is a very good point, in the fray of the over blown (IMO) loss of detail debate.

I also noted that in terms of noise the A7RIII has a terrible rendering of noise - especially over the portrait images.

I'm not sure I will bother updating my K-1 but if I was buying new I would go for the K-1 II quite frankly.
I upgraded from K-3 to the K-1 Mark II and am loving it. Reading all of the technical discussions, arguments and positioning and frankly enjoying it from the sidelines.. but I am lead to wonder, how much did Rembrandt fret over the the composition and materials in his canvas? The number of the hairs in his brushes? He just left the window open on a sunny day and created his art.....
05-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you have more latitude in a 5D than in Sony's extra expensive flagship.

That 5D IV is I think a demonstration that Canon are improving in this aspect when compared to the output of the previous generation 5DS R.

I also notice that the K-1 has the standard image that is below the K-1 II but then the pixel shift option is available for the original K-1 and it is a step above that of the the K-1 II. I'd expect a similar improvement would be achieved if they'd posted a K-1 II pixel shift image which would be interesting to see considering how much better the standard K-1 II image already is.

Ta for sharing your findings mate.

Tas
05-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder why nobody mentioned this outstanding performance:

In this one, the D850 looks particularly bad color-wise, too.
05-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
I upgraded from K-3 to the K-1 Mark II and am loving it. Reading all of the technical discussions, arguments and positioning and frankly enjoying it from the sidelines.. but I am lead to wonder, how much did Rembrandt fret over the the composition and materials in his canvas? The number of the hairs in his brushes? He just left the window open on a sunny day and created his art.....
I agree, but the review sites, particularly DP Review are pretty hard on cameras for what are very tiny flaws. They really do seem to give cameras with fast frame rates and great video a pass on still image quality.

A K-1 or K-1 II isn't the perfect camera for everyone, but then again, neither is an A9 or A7r III.
05-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This is interesting K-1 vs K-1 II
05-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
This is interesting
dpr seems to have been quite sloppy when aligning the camera (and thus the focal plane) to the flat test target, so you have to ignore the right side of the image.
05-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Canon brought new sensor tech with 80D and used it in 5D4 and 1Dx2. And if used with dual-pixel it is possible to extend DR by up to a stop in theory. The other half pixel records -1EV values so highlight save is good use case.