Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 123 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Personally I thought the vibe of the review was on point.

It’s a mkii release, not a new model as such. It has incremental improvements over the previous model, and it begins to show it’s age against fully new models in 2018.

The K-3 mkii is even worse now, with no new release in a very long time.

Pentax refuse to address the tracking AF (eye AF would be super useful for portraits) and video (where many want both adequate stills and video in one package) and overall this reviews poorly in 2018.

I hope they do a good reshoot and re assessment of the K-1 mkiis capabilities, but they shouldn’t shy away from comparing it with the current competition either.
There are sections where the language is neutral, and others where the language is charged. I don’t think they’ll change the Score or the Conclusions. I think the Cons section is not untruthful.

OTOH, I do not agree the images are worse than the K-1 and the Comparison Tool shots are a complete mess - and there have been silent replacements, a truly unprofessional practice. Bold-type interstitial ‘The images are not as good as the K-1 predecessor” comments are not only wrong, they’re inappropriate

05-14-2018, 04:52 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sewage is running waist deep in the comments over there. Who is @dpthoughts a Sock Puppet for?

Last edited by monochrome; 05-15-2018 at 04:15 AM.
05-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, I suppose that's something, but I highly doubt this will result in any sort of favorable outcome. At best, they'll update the data
in the current article. I very much doubt they'll retract the original article, offer a clear apology for the inconsistencies, and publicize
a new review. At worst they'll reconfirm their assessment of the K1 II as not worth the upgrade and thus a waste of everyone's time.
05-14-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #19

Regarding neutral language, anyone remembers the "Special K?" issue? well... it cannot find that title any more. My conclusion is that it was replaced by a more neutral someday afterwards. Those were the days where the comment section became naughty about the bicycle test and the PhD fellow, who else, was requiring attention with his answers. Anyway, bashing had been already done after the title replace, of course.

I cannot understand the idea of bashing the smallest player in the ground. I believe it's non intentional. But it's a real fact indeed.

Last edited by rodaballo; 05-14-2018 at 05:29 PM.
05-14-2018, 05:27 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Regarding neutral language, anyone remembers the "Special K?" issue? well... it cannot find that title any more. My conclusion is that it was replaced by a more neutral one some days after the comment section became quite noisy. However, bashing had been already done, of course.

I cannot understand the idea of bashing the smallest player in the ground. I believe it's non intentional. But it's a real fact indeed.
I believe it to be very much intentional, even if it's not intended to be aggressive. They seem to genuinely not recognize the bias
they show against Pentax, at least so they claim. DPR are like that guy at the water cooler who doesn't see anything wrong in
telling ethnic jokes, so long as they're 'clean'.
05-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I believe it to be very much intentional, even if it's not intended to be aggressive. They seem to genuinely not recognize the bias
they show against Pentax, at least so they claim. DPR are like that guy at the water cooler who doesn't see anything wrong in
telling ethnic jokes, so long as they're 'clean'.

I like you example and perhaps you are right about this, after all.

Last edited by rodaballo; 05-14-2018 at 05:43 PM.
05-14-2018, 06:02 PM - 6 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Draw your own conclusions...look at actual photos!

As one who got sucked into all of this by the dpr review 1.00, can I offer this.....spend some time looking at images from the K1& the mk2. ( & yes fair to say I should have done this in the first place).
I spent several hours doing this and at the end of the process I was more than happy to re-instate my order for a K1 mk2...I would be proud to take images this good.
I will not go back to dpr to look at review 1.1....1.2 ...1.4 or what ever, not interested. Integrity & Credibility are something hard earned and lost in a blink.
And before anyone wants to say I am just a fan boy...I have also owned a Nikon D800, so am quite aware of what the opposition does, its strengths and its weaknesses. I also compete, successfully, against other marques. I print large format and have been published, so my decisions are carefully considered.

I look forward to the arrival of my Pentax K1 Mk2. My advice is to let dpr flounder around in the mess of their own making and get on taking great images.

05-14-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #23

Indeed. Go make pictures. The (insert your favorite DSLR here) will not prevent you from making wonderful images if you have the skill and artistic sensibility to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
As one who got sucked into all of this by the dpr review 1.00, can I offer this.....spend some time looking at images from the K1& the mk2. ( & yes fair to say I should have done this in the first place).
I spent several hours doing this and at the end of the process I was more than happy to re-instate my order for a K1 mk2...I would be proud to take images this good.
I will not go back to dpr to look at review 1.1....1.2 ...1.4 or what ever, not interested. Integrity & Credibility are something hard earned and lost in a blink.
And before anyone wants to say I am just a fan boy...I have also owned a Nikon D800, so am quite aware of what the opposition does, its strengths and its weaknesses. I also compete, successfully, against other marques. I print large format and have been published, so my decisions are carefully considered.

I look forward to the arrival of my Pentax K1 Mk2. My advice is to let dpr flounder around in the mess of their own making and get on taking great images.
05-14-2018, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regarding neutral language, anyone remembers the "Special K?" issue? well... it cannot find that title any more. My conclusion is that it was replaced by a more neutral someday afterwards. Those were the days where the comment section became naughty about the bicycle test and the PhD fellow, who else, was requiring attention with his answers. Anyway, bashing had been already done after the title replace, of course.

You can't bash the people who spend the most on marketing (and inviting you to events and functions), you try to prove you're a hard-hitting journo by doing it to a minor brand.

Being rung up on Monday morning by a Ricoh exec with a complaint doesn't compare to the consequences of an angry Sony or Nikon PR person on the phone.

This happens in car reviews, film reviews, etc etc. If you're well-connected, you can get a good ride from the media.
05-14-2018, 07:49 PM - 2 Likes   #25

The recent Sony A7III launch event/ bribery was designed to buy off journalists, influencers, youtubers, etc. and it obviously worked...

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can't bash the people who spend the most on marketing (and inviting you to events and functions), you try to prove you're a hard-hitting journo by doing it to a minor brand.

Being rung up on Monday morning by a Ricoh exec with a complaint doesn't compare to the consequences of an angry Sony or Nikon PR person on the phone.

This happens in car reviews, film reviews, etc etc. If you're well-connected, you can get a good ride from the media.
05-14-2018, 07:59 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to see them under pressure.

Imo, pull out of the DPR forum accounts, don't click on DPR links and don't participate in their discussions.

Also, write to Pentax to ask them to pull the plug on DPR for future camera review samples.
No harm will be done since giving them a camera often is more harmful.

The guy who writes the review is always quite full of himself.
Basically, as I see it, he is not interested in exploring any camera beyond his biased knowledge of what he prefers/uses.
05-14-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the points in pros / cons are not too bad but final conclusion wording and possibly rating seem a bit unbalanced.

I mean even if there is some NR baked in, it does a pretty good job. in any case all the cameras do some sensor data processing - its just a question of what.
The high ISO shots of the Sony look way worse to me than the K-1 II - its got all sorts of blotchy colours going on (especially look over portraits) but this does not seem to be mentioned anywhere I could see (including Sony review). The K-1 II is pretty comparable to the 850 (except the 850 has the advantage of more detail being available).

Anyway not expecting much to change in the DPR results but will be better to get better comparison images using same lens.
05-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It's the only brand they can bash. Small user base, and other brands' users would gladly join in Othering us.

Besides no marketing effort to appease reviewers... (no, Rishi, that doesn't mean money transfers into your account).
05-14-2018, 11:22 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

If they just did things consistently and competently from day one of the K-1 II tests, there would be none of the current fuss.

Makes me really question the quality of their tests for other brand's gear too.
05-14-2018, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

They might be more careful with other brands. They understand other brands better.
And other brands might carefully check the equipment they send for reviewing. A big part of the problem is the seemingly decentered D FA 50mm f/2.8.