Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The sewage is running waist deep in the comments over there. Who is @dprthoughts a Sock Puppet for?
I would bet a sixpack on him being a certain Nikon 18-300mm superzoom guy from Hamburg. All signs lead there.

---------- Post added 15th May 2018 at 09:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's the only brand they can bash
Actually their Fuji coverage is similar (not that bad though).

Remember how fast after the GFX a certain "non-biased" author pushed out an article explaining how "you" don't need any medium format cameras, because a Nikon D810/850 gives you much more at less price?
Just the same type of propaganda as the last "handheld pixelshift can be done by everybody" nonsense.

If you look at the quite visible emotions in the articles you see:
Fans: Nikon, lesser degree Sony
Neutral: Olympus
Downplayed: Canon
Disliked: Fuji
Hated: Pentax

---------- Post added 15th May 2018 at 10:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The guy who writes the review is always quite full of himself.
Basically, as I see it, he is not interested in exploring any camera beyond his biased knowledge of what he prefers/uses.
Yup. And that disqualitfies anyone for writing a review of anything other than "personal user feedback".

05-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
---------- Post added 15th May 2018 at 10:02 ----------

Yup. And that disqualitfies anyone for writing a review of anything other than "personal user feedback".

I really prefer reviews done by "camera/lens lovers" than these so called "better than thou experts".
For the former, they are out to appreciate the equipment they are using and will strive to make the best of it and learn the quirks and workarounds.
Some minor quirks/flaws may even be a non-issue in real use or at least in the context of the reviewer's usage. (eg. distortion on natural landscapes; f4 for a landscape lens, etc)
The latter type of reviews are usually some pompous declaration that the equipment does not work like they "favorite brand" and won't be bothered to properly learn/use the camera/lens for their so called reviews.
05-15-2018, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, a few weeks ago the VAR failed in the final game of the A league season.The line person was in perfect position to put the flag up from a deadball situation,he didnt...an offside goal decided the Championship.Lets hope no world cup games are decided this way but i suppose you wont be worried.

I won't, and for two good reasons: 1. I'm not particularly interested in soccer (other than for conversation) and 2. I'm Italian
05-15-2018, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I really prefer reviews done by "camera/lens lovers" than these so called "better than thou experts".
That is fine.

But what you describe is the difference between a neutral "scientific" comparative article and a personal opinion piece ("comment" in normal journalism). Both have their merits. The first must not be biased. The latter is biased by design (personal preferences).

If the latter declares itself as the former, it is lying, unprofessional and inacceptable.

And btw, if a "camera lover" comes along and fills his article with "scientifc" MTF readings and raw analysis, it is just a joke. A camera lover would never do this. Only a nerd with a bias would.

05-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
It’s a mkii release, not a new model as such. It has incremental improvements over the previous model, and it begins to show it’s age against fully new models in 2018
I actually do think that there's a systematic problem there with many reviewers unfamiliar with Pentax - A Canon 5D mk whatever is a new camera, a Pentax mk whatever is a refresh - the K-3 mkii is a bout a different as they get, but it's never anew sensor or major upgrade. I don't think they always get that.

---------- Post added 15-05-18 at 01:58 AM ----------

- looks about right
05-15-2018, 02:14 AM   #36

Does the weather sealings withstand alcohol fumes?
05-15-2018, 02:40 AM - 4 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably the biggest issue is with consistency. If you are going to repeat multiple times in a review of the K-1 II how crazy heavy and bulky it is, then that sort of verbiage should be used for all other cameras with similar weights. If you are going to dock Pentax for smoothing RAW images, then you need to go after Sony for baking their RAW files too -- and do tests that bring out the banding that comes from having large numbers of auto focus points on the sensor.

Maybe part of the problem is that cameras have gotten good enough these days that reviewers have to delve into minutiae in order to separate them. At least try to be consistent and don't use charged language with one brand that you wouldn't use with another.

05-15-2018, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Precisely. I could accept it, if that was their style. But, that is their style for Pentax.
05-15-2018, 03:22 AM - 10 Likes   #39
JPT
Pentaxian

Is anyone else appreciating the inadvertent irony of the “Jump to conclusion” button on the first page of the review?
05-15-2018, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Is anyone else appreciating the inadvertent irony of the “Jump to conclusion” button on the first page of the review?
It is just logical workflow: They write that part first and then start working on the content to justify it.
So it ends up in the very beginning.

Have you never worked in tobacco or pharmazeuticals? Because: science.
05-15-2018, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Does the weather sealings withstand alcohol fumes?
You'll be all right with a decent Côtes du Rhône but I wouldn't risk Sauvignon Blanc. Chardonnay would definitely be a warranty repair.
05-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If they just did things consistently and competently from day one of the K-1 II tests, there would be none of the current fuss.

Makes me really question the quality of their tests for other brand's gear too.
Yes, which is why it's hard for me to comprehend why it took so long to acknowledge the obvious issues. It's never the original error that causes the most problems, it's not quickly acknowledging it, or acknowledging it at all, or at the extreme end trying to cover it up (which is not what is happening here, yet, since the test will be re-shot I'm sure more carefully this time).

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 09:22 AM ----------

That is fine.

But what you describe is the difference between a neutral "scientific" comparative article and a personal opinion piece ("comment" in normal journalism). Both have their merits. The first must not be biased. The latter is biased by design (personal preferences).

If the latter declares itself as the former, it is lying, unprofessional and inacceptable.

And btw, if a "camera lover" comes along and fills his article with "scientifc" MTF readings and raw analysis, it is just a joke. A camera lover would never do this. Only a nerd with a bias would.
Yes on all points! Although then there's Jim Kasson....

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Probably the biggest issue is with consistency. If you are going to repeat multiple times in a review of the K-1 II how crazy heavy and bulky it is, then that sort of verbiage should be used for all other cameras with similar weights. If you are going to dock Pentax for smoothing RAW images, then you need to go after Sony for baking their RAW files too -- and do tests that bring out the banding that comes from having large numbers of auto focus points on the sensor.

Maybe part of the problem is that cameras have gotten good enough these days that reviewers have to delve into minutiae in order to separate them. At least try to be consistent and don't use charged language with one brand that you wouldn't use with another.
And another yes on all points.

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 09:25 AM ----------

It is just logical workflow: They write that part first and then start working on the content to justify it.
So it ends up in the very beginning.

Have you never worked in tobacco or pharmazeuticals? Because: science.
Wow. Yes, we've seen all this before. My life is seeming like an unending deja vu....
05-15-2018, 07:43 AM - 5 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

If you look at the quite visible emotions in the articles you see:
LOL. A pretty good assessment. My take is something like:

Sony: Hail the new king!
Nikon: Hail the old king!
Panasonic: Hail video!
Canon: Fan, but very annoyed and disappointed. Give us a Sony with a Canon badge and all is forgiven.
Olympus: Neutral (indifferent)
Fuji: Disliked (too much like Sony, too much not like Sony)
Leica: Jealous (secretly yearn for a closet full of Leica gear, but they won't give us free swag so we mock 'em)
Hassiblad: Open mockery (partially deserved, but also see Leica)
Pentax: Whipping boy to make everyone else look good (What?? It's gotta be someone)

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 05-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.
05-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
LOL. ...
Pentax: Whipping boy to make everyone else look good (What?? It's gotta be someone)
Why do I want to load Metallica.... >:^p
05-16-2018, 02:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Oh, absolutely. And even if you don't click on that button, their conclusion about the noise reduction and inferior IQ is right there in the introduction anyway.

I had written a post with a line-by-line a review of the DPR K-1 II review to show their bias, but figured it was pointless and didn't post it. That post with exactly the above observation.