Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 11:09 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Marketplace Reseller

K-1 II My First Airshow Gallery

There was good and bad but it was all fun,

I left in some unlikely photos, one where I cut the nose of the CF-118 and another where I pulled an Icarus by shooting too close to the sun. I also had a little fun incorporating veiling flare into a few photos. You may see white spots in some of the photos, thats likely from something along the lines of dandelion seeds in the atmosphere noticeable when shooting near the sun as they light up in those angles.

There are 147 photos in the gallery, With so many photos there is no point in posting sets over the next few weeks. If you like a particular photo it would be nice if you include it in your reply (right click and select copy image location for the URL)

CFB Borden Airshow 2018 ~ First Airshow With The K-1 II

Do Enjoy!

06-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This was your first airshow?! Very impressive indeed, Mike... A fantastic gallery, both in terms of the enjoyment factor and quality of the images.

This is when all the pixel-peeping discussions around the K-1II can be rightly kicked to the kerb. A skilful photographer + K-1II = great images, pure and simple.

I really enjoyed looking through these, and I'll be taking another longer look this evening!

Thanks for sharing
06-06-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This was your first airshow?! Very impressive indeed, Mike... A fantastic gallery, both in terms of the enjoyment factor and quality of the images.

This is when all the pixel-peeping discussions around the K-1II can be rightly kicked to the kerb. A skilful photographer + K-1II = great images, pure and simple.

I really enjoyed looking through these, and I'll be taking another longer look this evening!

Thanks for sharing
No... My first airshow with the K-1 II LOL I've been to many dozens of airshows in the last 13+ years.

I'm glad you enjoyed and yes, there is the photo and then there are the pixels and sometimes the photo is far more important then the pixels that made it.
06-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the Pitts Specials!CFB Borden Airshow 2018 ~ First Airshow With The K-1 II Many amazing shots here Mike!

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

The Snowbirds looked to be in mid season form!
Were you using a monopod or just shooting handheld? You could sell these as prints at next year's show!

06-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
There was good and bad but it was all fun,

I left in some unlikely photos, one where I cut the nose of the CF-118 and another where I pulled an Icarus by shooting too close to the sun. I also had a little fun incorporating veiling flare into a few photos. You may see white spots in some of the photos, thats likely from something along the lines of dandelion seeds in the atmosphere noticeable when shooting near the sun as they light up in those angles.

There are 147 photos in the gallery, With so many photos there is no point in posting sets over the next few weeks. If you like a particular photo it would be nice if you include it in your reply (right click and select copy image location for the URL)

CFB Borden Airshow 2018 ~ First Airshow With The K-1 II

Do Enjoy!
You do understand the images aren't valid because they aren't out of focus shots of a bicyclist coming towards you.... (sarcasm)

Actually, well done.

Last edited by CDW; 06-06-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
06-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I quickly browsed through all the pics, it's top notch work.

My personal favorites:
K2P00271a (instrument panel shot) because detail

K2P00285a (tail shot) because perspective
K2P00291a (turbo beaver front) because colors

K2P01531a (merge) because... what an eye!

Two small remarks (feel free to disregard of course): I feel like sometimes the blacks are a little bit too open (and I know from experience that my monitor tends to crush them a little bit), and in some pictures there's a slight green/aqua/blue tint (but maybe I'm imagining it).

Also kudos for the way you put together the gallery: not too long, not too short, no duplicates and lots of variety.
06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

I am thinking about attending the airshow in Niagara Falls, NY this weekend. Got a few questions for you.

1. What focal length were you using for the action shots? and what shutterspeed?
2. Any tips on locking in the focus?

06-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Nice job. Love the gallery. What lens were you using?
06-06-2018, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Icarus shot has it's appeal,especially if viewed small enough to fit my laptop screen.

Wow, so many great shots, these are the kind of air show photos that take much more than just good equipment. Mark me down as totally impressed. Were you shooting from the control tower? (several of the photos seem to have been taken from higher than ground level)

I'll link a couple more of my favourites:

06-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series...thanks for sharing. and isn't this where we say " you must have a great camera " :-)
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Those are very nice. I saw that Aurora fly over us a short while ago. You got a better shot than I did.

Colors are nice, no washout look against the sky.
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I quickly browsed through all the pics, it's top notch work.

My personal favorites:
K2P00271a (instrument panel shot) because detail

K2P00285a (tail shot) because perspective
K2P00291a (turbo beaver front) because colors

K2P01531a (merge) because... what an eye!

Two small remarks (feel free to disregard of course): I feel like sometimes the blacks are a little bit too open (and I know from experience that my monitor tends to crush them a little bit), and in some pictures there's a slight green/aqua/blue tint (but maybe I'm imagining it).

Also kudos for the way you put together the gallery: not too long, not too short, no duplicates and lots of variety.
I appreciate you pointing out what you liked and why. as for the blacks I do lift them however I check on a brighter (more normal) monitor and usually do a quick adjust to make sure I don't lift them too far... maybe I over did it a bit and maybe its not as bad as it could be. as for the cast, shadows with daylight WB will have a blue cast and reflections off green grass will add a green cast could that be what you're referring to?

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K5-0 Quote
I am thinking about attending the airshow in Niagara Falls, NY this weekend. Got a few questions for you.

1. What focal length were you using for the action shots? and what shutterspeed?
2. Any tips on locking in the focus?
I shot from 140mm to 700mm on FF of course and shutter speeds from 1/100th sec to 1/8000th sec so take your pick. fast shutter speeds for jets and if you're a gluten for punishment slow shutter speeds for prop blur. Don't track for too long before telling the camera to refocus, short bursts is better then blasting the shutter through the show, don't burst until you're sure the camera has locked on, try hard to avoid photos of planes too far away. position yourself so that you aren't shooting into the sun as much as possible. (facing north/east is ideal but not always possible)

Have fun!

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I love the Pitts Specials!CFB Borden Airshow 2018 ~ First Airshow With The K-1 II Many amazing shots here Mike!

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

The Snowbirds looked to be in mid season form!
Were you using a monopod or just shooting handheld? You could sell these as prints at next year's show!
Thanks SSGGeezer

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
You do understand the images aren't valid because they aren't out of focus shots of a bicyclist coming towards you.... (sarcasm)

Actually, well done.
Thanks CDW, for the sarcasm too!

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Nice job. Love the gallery. What lens were you using?
I used the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG with Sigma 1.4x TC EX DG and Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG with an without the TC, I used the Venus 12mm F2.8 Zero-D for the ground shots

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The Icarus shot has it's appeal,especially if viewed small enough to fit my laptop screen.

Wow, so many great shots, these are the kind of air show photos that take much more than just good equipment. Mark me down as totally impressed. Were you shooting from the control tower? (several of the photos seem to have been taken from higher than ground level)

I'll link a couple more of my favourites:

I wish I could shoot from a control tower, you're probably noticing plane as they bank towards the crowd allowing for a top view photo, I prefer to shoot the top of the plan instead of the bottom

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Great series...thanks for sharing. and isn't this where we say " you must have a great camera " :-)
Thanks Mallee Boy... yep I'm sure some people say that LOL

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Those are very nice. I saw that Aurora fly over us a short while ago. You got a better shot than I did.

Colors are nice, no washout look against the sky.
Thanks derekkite, I only get to see the plane in airshows, would be nice to see it fly over every so often.

Last edited by MightyMike; 06-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.
06-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Really beautiful set! You are a great aviation photgrapher who knows hoe to shoot an airshow.

My favourite pics are the ones of the F-4U Corsairl and CF-118 (K2P00839a, K2P00894a and K2P01117a) as these are what I call plane portraits superbly executed.
06-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great pictures, I'm at an air show in a couple of weeks and these give me something to aim at and some idea of technique.
And don't you just love a Pitts Special, real aerial hot rods
06-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
I appreciate you pointing out what you liked and why. as for the blacks I do lift them however I check on a brighter (more normal) monitor and usually do a quick adjust to make sure I don't lift them too far... maybe I over did it a bit and maybe its not as bad as it could be. as for the cast, shadows with daylight WB will have a blue cast and reflections off green grass will add a green cast could that be what you're referring to?
Yep it's not bad and not on all photos... and the shadows are generally fine to me, it's just the extreme blacks that could be a little more "anchored down", but those are minutiae.
And yes, probably reflections off the grass.