Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I strongly agree with the other posters that 11mm and 15mm are way too wide on FF for straight landscape (an UWA cries out for a foreground subject). I almost never use my DFA 15-30 at the wide end for that purpose. An UWA lens is great for architecture and particularly interiors.

For the most part, I find the DFA 28-105 wide enough for most landscape purposes. But 24 or even 20 would be good choices too.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-10-2018 at 12:48 AM.
06-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Wild Mark and Paul. Looks like is not an easy decision to make. The old FA 20-35mm f4 AL costs at least US$400 with normal wear and tear and its going to be challenging to get a good copy I guess. What is its equivalent lens in current line up?
06-10-2018, 01:16 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Thanks Wild Mark and Paul. Looks like is not an easy decision to make. The old FA 20-35mm f4 AL costs at least US$400 with normal wear and tear and its going to be challenging to get a good copy I guess. What is its equivalent lens in current line up?
There is no equivalent to the small Fa 20-35.

There is currently only the serious 15-30 to go with the serious K-1.

There was a 20-35 in the Marketplace a couple of days ago, BTW, you might want to take a real look at that.
06-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

There isn't one! The FA 20 or FA 24 primes might be worth looking for.

06-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Just did New Zealand South Island. Very beautiful place.
From Alps to Ocean - a cycling/photography log - PentaxForums.com
I brought the Samyang 14, 31ltd, 77ltd, and used the 31ltd most of the time, then the 77ltd and little of the 14mm.

I would think a UWA, 35mm, 100mm should be ideal as the wide open spaces really need a short tele to 'pull in' the distant scenery.

That said, I have the Laowa 12 and its really commensurate with its costs.
More flare tolerant than the Samyang 14 and Irix 15, smaller and its 12mm, takes smaller filter set.
06-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #21
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Primary purpose is to take scenic pictures with family.
I can't deny the logic of the suggestions you've received so far, but keep in mind that the reference to 'foreground subject needed for an UWA lens' is, I assume, where you would place your family. Maybe that's where a lens around the 15-20m focal length will suit whenever you can get closer or further away from your foreground subject. I shoot with a 21mm manual lens and agree that any wider often feels too wide, but sometimes I feel it's not wide enough.

Some suggestions: consider a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 20mm, it's a manual focus wide angle that is not too expensive new. Yes, there are several threads around here stating problems with quality control so the risk is really only related to that aspect of the decision.

Taking something like the 15mm might be too wide, but that's only if you try and shoot images that needed a longer lens. 15mm will give you the opportunity to capture foreground, background and an awesome sky if there's one to be had.

If you're not planning on putting people into some frames and have pano software you can simply use your 35mm and create big landscapes. Actually you can use your 100mm if you want, but I'd only recommend that if you have good software to ensure this approach will work.

Anyhoo, so long as you keep your eye on what suits your style of photography I'm sure the right decision will pop out soon. And whatever that decision is make sure you share some images with us when you get home.

Tas
06-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. I will probably be buying it either from B&H or Amazon if its new and in case of any issues, I have to ship it back to them which can be bit expensive. Hence checking for any QC issues with any model before ordering it to avoid sending it back in case of any issues. With Samyang/Rokinon, I ready lot of QC issues with the lens and hence am bit skeptical about them
Other reason I thought of ultra wide angle is due to the massive field of depth which will be easier to capture my daughter who is always on the run

06-10-2018, 04:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Another FYI: SamYang lenses are on sale until 3 July 2018 at DigitalCameraWarehouse.com.au ...The 14mm is AUD $437.00, for example. With local support.
06-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ultra-wides are the toughest lenses to use correctly and generally not for family or people photos unless you want to highlight solitude. However, if used correctly, they can accentuate depth and objects in the foreground, as well as fit tight rooms and architecture into a single frame. For foregrounds in landscapes, you have to be low and close - often just inches, and sometimes focus stack images. Although a tedious process, the results can extraordinary. Google Shane Bloom, Marc Adamus to see great results, or find them on Flickr or Instagram. Agree that most people will be satisfied with a 20mm or 24mm, but not all! Here are two very good articles with images on using ultra-wides: How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses and: Ultrawide Zooms For Landscapes - Outdoor Photographer Note that the Irix are electronically coupled, which the Laowa are not. Samsung and Rokinon are too, but you might have to spend some time getting a good sample. Lastly, I have used my 11mm in blizzard conditions and can vouch for it's great weather-sealing (had icicles form twice on the front of lens, yet caused no damage). A 20mm or 20-35mm might be more practical, but once you get the hang of ultrawides below 20mm, you will understand the allure...
06-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Composition at ultrawide angles can be challenging. You get so much in the frame that everything in the scene shrinks, and clutter to the left and right of your subject can end up in frame. When ultrawide shots work well they look great, though. For the K-1 I suggest 15mm because it's not as extreme as 11mm.
06-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #26
Pentaxian

For NZ a uwa Lens seems to make a lot of sense, but getting used to it before departing seems essential to not be unhappy with the results.
06-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm working with Irix now, trying to get a good copy of the 15mm. If I ever get a good one, it's a beautiful lens on the K-1. Definitely get the Blackstone. With what you are doing, I think it's two wide. I think 24mm might be nice. Hope everything works out for you.
Terry
06-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone for the valuable tips.
@mtgmansf, thanks for the articles and great photography by Shane Bloom & Marc Adamus
@rawr, am still not sure if I will be going with Samyang or the Irix
@ DeadJohn, I completely agree with the composition. Even with 35mm I still crop a bit since am not perfect with composition of all my shots.
@beholde, there is a bit of learning curve with the UWA lens. I got two months to play with it before my NZ trip
@ Terryl, where did you purchase your lens? If am planning to go with IRIX, I will be purchasing it from B&H. They just restocked it.

Looks like the below are my options as per the suggestions provided.
Irix 15mm (US$425 - Firefly, US$575 -Blackstone)
Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (US$ 279 or AU$437)
Used Pentax FA 20-35mm f4 (~US$400 - $450)

Other lens which are out of my budget are
Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D Lens for Pentax K (US$ 949)
Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED (US$ 1296.95)
Pentax HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8ED (US$1089.99)
06-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If am planning to go with IRIX, I will be purchasing it from B&H. They just restocked it.
I'd recommend doing a stock check here: Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly - Pentax before you import one. the GST will apply for imports that may or may not be reflected in the B&H price. Digidirect do rentals too in case you want to try that option instead of a straight purchase.

Cheaper still from here: https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/irix-15mm-fa24-firefly-lens

Tas
06-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #30

I've shot NZ landscapes for many years with a Canon 16-35 and mostly used it at 16mm. In saying that, it takes a bit of getting used to and as many said, foreground is crucial.

If I was on holiday with the family with limited time to explore and shoot, I do agree than 15mm might be difficult to work with but can be very rewarding.

I now moved to Pentax and got myself the Irix 15mm but haven't had the chance to play with much.

If you have any questions about specific locations in the South Island, let me know.