Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do the view cameras with tilt mechanism have leaf shutters or do they use "focal plane" shutters?
The trick answer is they have BOTH!

First, they have a "slow" manually operated focal plane shutter in the form of the darkslide on the film holder.

Second, they have a "fast" leaf shutter in the lens that can open and close quickly.

Given that it's much easy to make a "fast" shutter mechanism for a 1.8" inch diameter hole than for a 4" x 5" or larger rectangle, view cameras use leaf shutters in the lens for short controlled exposure times.

06-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wasn't there a Ricoh patent for a tilting sensor filed a few months back?
06-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
wasn't there a Ricoh patent for a tilting sensor filed a few months back?
Considering the issues with a sensor getting in the way of the "focal plane" shutter, making a tilting sensor might be easier for a "Q" with its leaf shutter in the lens - but I don't think that's going to happen.
06-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering the issues with a sensor getting in the way of the "focal plane" shutter, making a tilting sensor might be easier for a "Q" with its leaf shutter in the lens - but I don't think that's going to happen.
I'm thinking more 645 next generation - there's a bit more space in there - I need to find the original post when I've got a moment,

here we are:

https://pentaxrumors.com/2017/10/24/the-latest-ricoh-patents-tilting-sensor/#more-2944

06-14-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

There are no issues with this because there is no reason to tilt the sensor toward the lens closer than the infinity setting. All the useful tilting functions can do done by tilting the sensor back further from the shutter.
06-14-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
There are no issues with this because there is no reason to tilt the sensor toward the lens closer than the infinity setting. All the useful tilting functions can do done by tilting the sensor back further from the shutter.
One reason I could find: recover infinity with adapted lenses, if the adapter makes you lose it by a hair.
But that's geeky stuff.
06-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
One reason I could find: recover infinity with adapted lenses, if the adapter makes you lose it by a hair.
But that's geeky stuff.
Don't all lenses {with infinity focus} focus to the same plane?

Native lens, adapter lens shouldn't make a difference, because adapter should just make up for flange difference.

06-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Don't all lenses {with infinity focus} focus to the same plane?

Native lens, adapter lens shouldn't make a difference, because adapter should just make up for flange difference.
If there's space to spare, sure.

But for instance some M42-to-Pentax-K adapters make you lose infinity focus, because they stick a millimeter or so over the camera body.
Also, there could be a case where flange focal distance is very close (e.g. Nikon F-mount 46.50 mm, Pentax K mount 45.46mm), and the bayonet quite similar, so when adapting in one sense you keep infinity focus, while in the other you don't.
A shift forward of the sensor of one or two millimeters could be enough to solve those issues.

As I said, geeky things, and nothing that would interest the majority of the users, not for native lenses anyway.
06-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A shift forward of the sensor of one or two millimeters could be enough to solve those issues.
Yeah... OTOH the floating mirror design was required on the K-1, because there was no room for a straightforward design, considering:
- viewfinder specifications
- presence of the SR platform

A shift of 1-2mm to correct disfunctional, cheap third party adapters won't happen.
06-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah... OTOH the floating mirror design was required on the K-1, because there was no room for a straightforward design, considering:
- viewfinder specifications
- presence of the SR platform

A shift of 1-2mm to correct disfunctional, cheap third party adapters won't happen.
I know, and I won't ask for it.
I mean, I'm all for de-crippling the K-mount (and that won't happen either I guess...), but this was just for the sake of the argument!