Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
SD slots are connected via USB 2.0 bus.
By what means has this been determined? BTW, USB 2.0 is somewhat faster than the observed write speeds.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Sensor isn't the bottleneck, you can see this when developing DNGs to TIF in the camera or with the long writing times after shooting a series.
Agreed...otherwise burst mode would be much slower than the observed and the buffer would never fill.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This thread leads me to ask: has anyone seen a K-1 tear-down/ dismantling anywhere on the web? Or found a K-1 service manual.
This ^ ^ ^ I did a fairly thorough search yesterday looking for such along with ANY reference to UHS II on the K-1 and was skunked on both counts except for this thread and the linked blog post.

The linked article is obviously click bait. The author's blog is full of "best card for" and "worst" this or "best" that with the articles saturated with affiliate links. The actual content is exceptionally lightweight.

Steve

06-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@stevebrot can you determine hardware from the photos here?: K1 upgrade to MKiil

There are some detailed pictures of the motherboard... ;-)
06-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #18

Does it really matter? The specifications page says the K-1 conforms to USH-1 standards. No promise of speed. As long as it conforms to the minimum speed for USH-1 then it is up to standards.

Specifications | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
QuoteQuote:
Storage Media: SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Card (Conforms to USH-I standards)
06-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
@stevebrot can you determine hardware from the photos here?: K1 upgrade to MKiil

There are some detailed pictures of the motherboard... ;-)
Very cool! But, no, I cannot tell.

Steve

06-23-2018, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #20

Here's the standard pin layouts for SD cards. Someone can do the mental/visual gymnastics to see how it correlates to the previous posted photo of the card slots.
Attached Images

06-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could you take a peak at your K-1 and confirm that the slot 1 is UHS II as @Not_a_Number suggests? It was the claim that slot 1 had different hardward than slot 2 that piqued my interest. I had never heard such a thing.

Steve
TBH from my perspective it looks like there's only one row. All I see is the reflection of the first row in the opposite side of the slot. But then again, it's really hard to see from the top...

In any case isn't it really a moot point?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In any case isn't it really a moot point?
Agreed...though it is nice to have confirmation that the blogger is blowing smoke. We get plenty of suggestions that Pentax support features beyond the hardware limits as well as accusations that Ricoh is playing it cheap in regards to firmware features when the hardware is capable. FWIW, I was more concerned about the assertion that cards formatted in slot 1 could not be read in slot 2 (rolls eyes). Thanks for taking the time.

Steve