Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Can anyone help me with the content of a new camera?

So I got the k1 mark 2 kit from Amazon 2 weeks ago .The first thing I noticed was the viewfinder cap was not in the tiny plastic bag and was just kinda randomly placed underneath the lens. Didn’t pay much attention to it as everything else looked great. Yesterday, I checked the shutter count on it with the first pic I took and it was 38. Also, I watched unboxing video and it appears that I never got couple of papers. What should I do? Is that considered new? Should I just return it and get a new one (maybe even good ol k1 as it’s cheaper and the rumours about better sharpness? )
Pic of missing papers attached.

Attached Images

07-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the shutter count of your first photo was 38, then it can't be a new camera. I would suggest you discuss this issue with the seller.
07-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was it sold as new, reconditioned, or open box? If it was sold as new, and you believe it’s been used and items are missing, I would return it for a replacement.
07-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If i buy something "new" then it better be new, not tried out and put back in the box. I would contact Amazon about returning it for a new unopened camera with everything that should be there. I would have to wonder why it was used and returned to the box?

07-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have more patience than I do to wait two weeks to test out a new camera.
You are the purchaser, it is all up to you what you do next.

Good luck;
Clarence
07-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard a number of stories of people receiving new cameras with a few shots on them so I wouldn't necessarily assume its not new.
I can't remember what my K-1 came with but I seem to remember it had at least 2 shots on it.
If someone had done a full checkout of camera I would have thought they would need to take more than 38 shots but maybe thats just me.

In the end its up to you, and it may be worth discussing with the supplier for piece of mind at least.
07-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes it was supposed to be new. Any body that recently got the kit could check for me if they have the papers mentioned above? I phoned amazon and they confirmed it was new. They offered me 2 solutions.
1. Return and refund full price.
2. Keep the camera and have 20% off. I took the later but I’m still feeling like a fool.
Overall, amazon is excellent at satisfying their customers. That’s why I only shop there and not BH or Adorama.

07-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you shop only at Amazon and received a used camera when you paid new, but refuse to shop at B&H or Adorama?
07-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
2. Keep the camera and have 20% off. I took the later but I’m still feeling like a fool.
I think that sounds like a pretty good deal. 20% off the cost of a new K-1 is not insignificant. Used bodies were keeping
80% value for quite a long time. I would be very happy with a near as new K-1 for 80% retail.
07-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three pieces of advertising literature missing and get 20% off.
Well played.
07-01-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you shop only at Amazon and received a used camera when you paid new, but refuse to shop at B&H or Adorama?
I also find this logic difficult to fathom. I don't see how this episode can be used as evidence to support a huge, internet-based multinational over two family businesses with bricks and mortar shops.
07-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, Bh photo return policy kinda sucks. You have 2 report any defect in the package within 2 days or else you’re on your own. If you received a decentered lens or whatever you’ll have to eat shipping costs. Plus with amazon I get the item shipped in 2-3 days. BH, I ordered a lens a week ago and still haven’t received it. So if that situation, happened with them they’ll probably say too bad buddy it’s been 2 weeks you should’ve reported it. Nothing against the quality of their products though as I never dealt with them because of the reviews I read about their returns. Only ordered that one lens because amazon had it for almost twice the price.
07-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think that sounds like a pretty good deal. 20% off the cost of a new K-1 is not insignificant. Used bodies were keeping
80% value for quite a long time. I would be very happy with a near as new K-1 for 80% retail.
Thats a K-1 MkII not a K-1 so it sounds like a very good deal indeed!
07-01-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Well, Bh photo return policy kinda sucks. You have 2 report any defect in the package within 2 days or else you’re on your own. If you received a decentered lens or whatever you’ll have to eat shipping costs. Plus with amazon I get the item shipped in 2-3 days. BH, I ordered a lens a week ago and still haven’t received it. So if that situation, happened with them they’ll probably say too bad buddy it’s been 2 weeks you should’ve reported it. Nothing against the quality of their products though as I never dealt with them because of the reviews I read about their returns. Only ordered that one lens because amazon had it for almost twice the price.
B&H is an excellent supplier, don't believe a lot of the hype! So you ended up with quite a deal 20% off on the camera and lens savings too!!
07-01-2018, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep contacting the seller was the right thing to do. 20% off was very generous!