Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Battery life with info display off versus on

Hi

Just got my K-1 II. There’s an option to turn the display off while shooting in non-live view mode.

I can’t see myself needing often the electronic level or the GPS info to be displayed. As for the standard status info, useful as it is (including remaining capacity on the cards), in normal circumstances for me, all the info I need is in the viewfinder.

Has anyone quantified the savings in battery life between leaving the display off and having it on?

Thanks.

Last edited by gavinhw; 07-15-2018 at 07:40 PM.
07-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I can't answer your question though I've considered for a moment turning the display off. I find that for a quick look at camera settings (or making adjustments), and for verifying shots, it's invaluable so decided to leave it on full time. Even with it on, I'm impressed with battery life (and I also use the GPS full time). There are times I would turn it off such as making a long time exposure or shooting where it would be objectionable to others around me, but otherwise, I find the display too useful to do away with under normal use.

That doesn't answer your question but may give you another perspective and something to consider.
07-15-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven’t measured it in the way of number of shots, but it will increase the battery life. I’ve turned mine off on both the K-1 and K3 because, honestly, they annoyed me after I started shooting film heavily again. I have noticed almost twice the time between charges, but shooting style can vary.
07-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With the rear display off you can still set the camera to display the photo taken for a few seconds and then go back to blank. Mine is set this way because it was annoying for me to have a screen shining light right into my face when trying to look through the viewfinder. Sony dslrs I've had in the past had a nice system where the back screen turned off when you put your eye up to a sensor right below the viewfinder, but in the end, I don't miss leaving the rear screen off which can only help the batteries last longer.

07-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always have the rear screen turned off, except on the odd occasion that I’m using the electronic compass, and use the top LCD for checking settings. Can’t quantify the battery savings, but battery life has to be better if you’re not constantly powering the rear screen.
07-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I turned the rear display off the first day of ownership with my K-3. With the combination of top LCD and comprehensive viewfinder, there is little on the rear that is useful. If needed, enabling is as near as the info button x2.

Steve
07-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I’m turning it off in part because I started with the Pentax ME Super, and it sure didn’t have an LCD screen. I guess I’m a silly purist.

I do have the image appear for 5s after taking the shot to make sure I didn’t mess up.

07-15-2018, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Hi, I haven't compared in numbers; but about a month ago I did a time lapse with the k-1 and fired 777 13s exposures over a period of 4h19min freezing conditions. Display was not in use of course and image review was set to off. Normally when I'm out shooting I'll use the tilt screen for manual focus for half the time and the battery drains considerably faster in much warmer conditions. It definitely makes a difference.
07-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I would love to find out as well. I always turn it off because I can find all the only either in viewfinder or top lcd. It always makes me wonder why a lot of photogs with top lcds have it on.

That said, I wish the K1 had a bigger top lcd screen. It's too tiny to be of any real use.
07-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For me I think the top lcd on the K-1 is fine. It tells me the only things I care to know: shutter speed, aperture, iso, and battery life!
07-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #11

I have mine turned off. But couldn't tell what the battery saving is.