Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
100 +5 EV, fully agrees with mental health,

I read this a week ago, and does a thorough analysis of the merits is flaws between PEF and DNG, very instructive.
It 's in Italian needs the translator, not traumatic. What is the DNG format
Interesting article.

I found one issue that applies to Pentax.

A PEF file is smaller than a DNG. The article talked about DNG being a LOT less in size. But SOOC the PEF is smaller.

Interestingly, if I import the PEF into LR and then export it as a DNG it drops from 41.5mb down to 31.1mb

So Adobe's DNG is smaller than Pentax's implementation.

Another curious item,

I imported the DNG back in and went back and forth between the two files and the histogram changes ever so slightly. I cannot see any changes in the image on my screen but if I go back and forth between the files I can see the Histogram change ever so slightly.

07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Interesting article.

I found one issue that applies to Pentax.

A PEF file is smaller than a DNG. The article talked about DNG being a LOT less in size. But SOOC the PEF is smaller.

Interestingly, if I import the PEF into LR and then export it as a DNG it drops from 41.5mb down to 31.1mb

So Adobe's DNG is smaller than Pentax's implementation.

Another curious item,

I imported the DNG back in and went back and forth between the two files and the histogram changes ever so slightly. I cannot see any changes in the image on my screen but if I go back and forth between the files I can see the Histogram change ever so slightly.

It would be interesting to take a file shot at 100 ISO and go through this process and see if the final Adobe version with the histogram shift you describe still went to magenta with the EV boost.
07-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

There is the question of lossy compression. PEF is lossless compressed. What does Adobe conversion do and does it remove JPG preview image?

Changes in histogram could mean lossy compression depending on how the compression is done. Sony RAW compression adds gaps in histogram.
07-22-2018, 03:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Both PEF and DNGs are using lossless compression.

07-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Link

This is a set of 1 min exposures of my backyard. ISO 100 - 3200
Files are by Camera MKIXXXX or MKIIXXXX

Taken with Rokinon 14mm

1st Set of 8 is PEF Files f/2.8
2nd Set of 8 is DNG Files created in camera f/2.8
3rd Set of 8 is PEF files f/5.6

Time I started this was around 4 AM so Astronomical Twilight had started. Also, we are pretty close to a new moon.

I shot all with one camera then repeated with the other.

Hopefully this will help with the foreground testing.
07-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Link
I won't be able to download and evaluate these until much later in the day, and the anticipation is going to drive me nuts. Do you have any impressions at this point?

Also, where are we on increasing exposure in post on ISO 100 and the magenta cast? This is contributing to me dragging my feet on doing the upgrade.
07-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I won't be able to download and evaluate these until much later in the day, and the anticipation is going to drive me nuts. Do you have any impressions at this point?

Also, where are we on increasing exposure in post on ISO 100 and the magenta cast? This is contributing to me dragging my feet on doing the upgrade.
I have not done anything with the files. I took the pictures and the put in a Google Drive. So I cannot say myself.

On the Magenta, I have not done anything. I have never edited a file to change the information to state it is a K-1 instead of K-1 Mark II. So will have to research how to do that. There was another thread that discussed a tool to do it but it is not something I have ever done.

07-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never edited a file to change the information to state it is a K-1 instead of K-1 Mark II . So will have to research how to do that. There was another thread that discussed a tool to do it but it is not something I have ever done.
There are several programs out there, but the program which seems to be the most powerful and perhaps famous is ExifTool by Phil Harvey. It is command line, but there are a couple graphical front ends. I've been using GUI2 by Andrew Quinlan. Here are a couple links:

Exiftool:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

GUI2:

GUI2 Program 7.6 for ExifTool Version 11.03(Updated 28-June 2018) - 1. GUI2 Home

GUI2 for ExifTool by Phil Harvey - GUI2 Program 7.6 for ExifTool Version 11.03(Updated 28-June 2018)
07-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Link

This is a set of 1 min exposures of my backyard. ISO 100 - 3200
Files are by Camera MKIXXXX or MKIIXXXX

Taken with Rokinon 14mm

1st Set of 8 is PEF Files f/2.8
2nd Set of 8 is DNG Files created in camera f/2.8
3rd Set of 8 is PEF files f/5.6

Time I started this was around 4 AM so Astronomical Twilight had started. Also, we are pretty close to a new moon.

I shot all with one camera then repeated with the other.

Hopefully this will help with the foreground testing.
Tom,

Thanks so much for getting up at o'h dark hundred in the morning and shooting these images!! It was more than dark enough. These coupled with your first set are showing me everything I really wanted/needed to know.

At the lower ISO range (where I do all of my night shooting), the mkII offers very little over the original K1 version. So, I'm just going to keep my K1 in its original condition and go acquire a 28-105 for my walking around lens. I'm probably going to also spring for a better monitor for my tower system, along with upgrading some software.

07-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Tom,

Thanks so much for getting up at o'h dark hundred in the morning and shooting these images!! It was more than dark enough. These coupled with your first set are showing me everything I really wanted/needed to know.

At the lower ISO range (where I do all of my night shooting), the mkII offers very little over the original K1 version. So, I'm just going to keep my K1 in its original condition and go acquire a 28-105 for my walking around lens. I'm probably going to also spring for a better monitor for my tower system, along with upgrading some software.

Your welcome. Back when I bought my used K-5 in 2014, you were one of the people helping me out with all my astro questions. Glad to help.
07-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your welcome. Back when I bought my used K-5 in 2014, you were one of the people helping me out with all my astro questions. Glad to help.
You are very welcome!! I still have my K5 and I've been able to get some good Milky Way shots. I really never was able to get what I really wanted. In retrospect, it was probably in part due to the PoS monitor I have on my tower system, that I accidentally found was providing some pretty crappy results.

I knew that a full frame was essentially the only solution, regardless of how well the K5 performed - hence the K1. The first astro shot confirmed that this is the right solution. The body is larger and heavier than what I really want to carry. The same goes for the 15-30 hunk of glass. Together they weigh in at around 5 pounds - that's the down side. The results they produce is everything I have wanted to capture. I'm now happy.

The monsoons are in full force here. I've been wanting to get up to Sedona and do some night shooting - but between the weather and my mom just somewhat being out of the hospital/rehab, I'm hopefully looking at the next few weeks to get back out. I have a dozen locations I want to go shoot from.

07-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You are very welcome!! I still have my K5 and I've been able to get some good Milky Way shots. I really never was able to get what I really wanted. In retrospect, it was probably in part due to the PoS monitor I have on my tower system, that I accidentally found was providing some pretty crappy results.

I knew that a full frame was essentially the only solution, regardless of how well the K5 performed - hence the K1. The first astro shot confirmed that this is the right solution. The body is larger and heavier than what I really want to carry. The same goes for the 15-30 hunk of glass. Together they weigh in at around 5 pounds - that's the down side. The results they produce is everything I have wanted to capture. I'm now happy.

The monsoons are in full force here. I've been wanting to get up to Sedona and do some night shooting - but between the weather and my mom just somewhat being out of the hospital/rehab, I'm hopefully looking at the next few weeks to get back out. I have a dozen locations I want to go shoot from.

Hopefully you can get out on August 13th. Perseids and no moon!
07-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I took 4min ISO100 exposure few days ago with ND1000 filter and it is still lurking on memory card. I will have a look at it when I get back from work.
07-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #44

I am kind of curious myself where this magenta hue saga ends up. I bought my K-1 II on pre-order so I committed before all the stuff with the accelerator came out.
07-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Right...

Normal exposure, ISO100, 1.5sec, +5EV

Multiexposure composite in-camera, ISO100, 2sec, +5EV

Now the latter one is VERY BAD. It is 64x average and has nothing to do with the 600x multiexposure fail which I discovered in 2017. I would say that there is something either horrible wrong with converting RAW files OR Pentax has an issue at hand. Did they actually raise base ISO to 200 like Nikon did with D810A? D810A has about 1EV better high ISO performance compared to standard D810.

K-1 MK-1 is able to handle +8EV boost with similar averaged composite.