Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

K1ii RAW not read by Mac

I have just discovered with much displeasure that RAW files from newly updated K1 Mark II can not be read by current Pentax profile embended into the Apple Camera Raw. I have 60 GB of images that need to be processed. I do not use Light Room and still stick with Aperure, thing that anyway is irrelevant, since it is the plug-in that makes them visible. Is there a way around it without using Pentax sucky software?

Michele

07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are your RAW files in PEF or DNG format?

Does Aperture read DNG files? If it does you could use the FREE Adobe RAW to DNG converter to convert them to DNG and then import them in to Aperture.

Otherwise upgrade to Lightroom or move to another RAW processing package. There are a few on the market at the moment.

Aperture is no longer supported by Apple as you know.

Regards

Chris
07-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micmrc Quote
I have just discovered with much displeasure that RAW files from newly updated K1 Mark II can not be read by current Pentax profile embended into the Apple Camera Raw. I have 60 GB of images that need to be processed. I do not use Light Room and still stick with Aperure, thing that anyway is irrelevant, since it is the plug-in that makes them visible. Is there a way around it without using Pentax sucky software?

Michele
Simplest Adobe camera Raw Converter once in dng format you should be ok.

Some people have edited the exif on Pentax k1 mk II files so they appear to be Pentax K1 files and processed from there.

You could use Pentax software to create a 16 bit tiff and go from there.
07-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
rfg

Michele
Is it K1-II PEF files that arenot being read? If so converting them to DNG might work (and if so switch to recording DNG in camera). There is an adobe converter here, both win and mac versions which says it supports the K1-II:
Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

07-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Is it K1-II PEF files that arenot being read? If so converting them to DNG might work (and if so switch to recording DNG in camera). There is an adobe converter here, both win and mac versions which says it supports the K1-II:
Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC
Yes, exactly. I have always used proprietary PEF. Have no Lightroom and have no reason to use DNG.

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Are your RAW files in PEF or DNG format?

Does Aperture read DNG files? If it does you could use the FREE Adobe RAW to DNG converter to convert them to DNG and then import them in to Aperture.

Otherwise upgrade to Lightroom or move to another RAW processing package. There are a few on the market at the moment.

Aperture is no longer supported by Apple as you know.

Regards

Chris
Yes, exactly. I have always used proprietary PEF. Have no Lightroom and have no reason to use DNG.
And yes, I know Aperture is no longer spported, but when you have all your library on it and the software still works well there is no reason to revolutionazie your workflow and messing up everything. Particularly with software from a company that asks you to constantly pay for sofware usage instead of selling it to you...

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 09:54 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the Adobe RAW to DNG thing and will see...
But it sucks. I do not understand why they have to sell updates without providing plug-ins to read what they produce... Or do they expect people to develope a workflow in Silkypics...? Wew...
07-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNG will always be compatible with more programs, so I recommend sticking to that format

I do not understand why they have to sell updates without providing plug-ins to read what they produce.
Very valid point. The PDCU software does support K-1 II files, but Pentax doesn't develop native OS support for these files, which is annoying.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no advantage, only disadvantages, to using PEF instead of DNG. So, the solution is simply to set the raw format to DNG in the camera. It is one of the advantages of Pentax that you can do this.

07-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the DNG conversion works well, then just switch your RAW type on your camera to DNG for the future.
07-20-2018, 04:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If the DNG conversion works well, then just switch your RAW type on your camera to DNG for the future.
Pentax Out-of-Camera DNG is a native Pentax Format like PEF.

If you just convert PEF to DNG via the Adobe DNG Converter the resulting DNG might not work with some software whereas the native Pentax DNG mostly should work. This was my experience years ago.

The result of converting simply isn‘t the same as the natively in-camera generated DNG.
05-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #10

Ciao Michele,

mi sono disperata per lo stesso problema, ho appena risolto
installando Apollo One dall'Apple Store.
Legge anche i file PEF della K1 M ii
ed è molto più bello dell'app "anteprima" in stock nel mac

I was desperate for the same problem, I just solved it
installing Apollo One from the Apple Store.
Also reads the PEF files of the K1 M ii
and it's much nicer than the "preview" app in stock in the mac

Cristina

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-12-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: English translation