Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

Micro adjustment AF Pentax K-1

I started to wonder how many of you have had to use the AF micro adjustment on your Pentax K-1? I discovered that in some circumstances that the image quality was disappointing especially when I went pixel peeking. After a little testing I discovered that it back focused with all my lenses. So after a bit of experimentation I found I needed a general micro adjustment AF and a bit on lenses, it now hits focus perfectly. I actually used the rivets on my garage door, photographed at 45 degrees and centre point focus and this works perfectly for me and as others have said it is not scary as you can reset it if you go the wrong way.
Best Wishes
Andrew

08-10-2018, 03:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amarsh1958 Quote
I started to wonder how many of you have had to use the AF micro adjustment on your Pentax K-1? I discovered that in some circumstances that the image quality was disappointing especially when I went pixel peeking. After a little testing I discovered that it back focused with all my lenses. So after a bit of experimentation I found I needed a general micro adjustment AF and a bit on lenses, it now hits focus perfectly. I actually used the rivets on my garage door, photographed at 45 degrees and centre point focus and this works perfectly for me and as others have said it is not scary as you can reset it if you go the wrong way.
Best Wishes
Andrew
I use focus confirmation and -6 adjustment for all my manual focus lenses. Many of them are brighter then f2,8, and I shoot wide open, so even after focus confirmation start to beep or green hexagon appears, images are not always in perfect focus.
08-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

AF adjustements is the step one, you can't use your camera without.
08-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I take the time to make adjustments for lenses that are capable of having a thin depth of field, either because they have a large aperture or are telephoto. For example, my FA43, DFA 100 macro, and Sigma 50-500 all benefit from being fine tuned.

It's not as important for a lens like 28-105. Its extreme ends, 28/3.5 and 105/5.6, are relatively forgiving in terms of focus.

08-11-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whether you will notice if your camera/lens combination needs adjustment will largely depend on how you view your pictures also. If you dont crop and view on your screen or on the web you may not notice that the focus needs adjusting. If you view at 100% and are using a wide aperture you will notice for sure.

if you print your pictures large, say 24"x16" and use a wide aperture you had better make sure you have adjusted the AF !
08-12-2018, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Whether you will notice if your camera/lens combination needs adjustment will largely depend on how you view your pictures also. If you dont crop and view on your screen or on the web you may not notice that the focus needs adjusting. If you view at 100% and are using a wide aperture you will notice for sure.

if you print your pictures large, say 24"x16" and use a wide aperture you had better make sure you have adjusted the AF !
If the images are going to be viewed printed 6x4 or on the web (at small size even here) then why buy a K-1? If not check your focus, fix and look at the fantastic IQ this camera is capable of. I know sometimes it is it's ability to work in very dark places but still a sharp image of the subject is called for.
Best Wishes
Andrew