Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1ii back focus

I have performed all the standard techniques, as I have with all cameras that have the AF Fine Adjustment, using the Spyder Cal tool.
My K-1ii clearly has a back focus issue across at least two lenses tried fo far: Pentax 28-105, and Sigma 105 2.8.. the only other lens I can test is the 50-135 in crop mode.

The BEST I can do is adjust to +10 and the focus at the -0- mark is still locked on the -1 mark.. so in the current state in order to achieve focus on the eye, I'd have to lock in on the bridge of the nose, or thereabouts. Not exactly ideal

If I send the camera into "repair" is there any flexibility in the camera to move the focus further forward so I can adjust the focus so it is achieved at -0- when the camera signals focus at the focus point I am shooting, and

I would expect this would be warranty work.

Thoughts

08-13-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes send the camera in for repair under warranty. This is what Pentax advise if you cannot achieve autofocus adjustment at the extremes +10/-10. Speak to them as it may be advisable to sent a lens too.
08-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you just purchased it you can also see if you could exchange for another. Might be faster than warranty repair.
08-13-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
If you just purchased it you can also see if you could exchange for another. Might be faster than warranty repair.
I think I'm past that limit. I'm almost 4 months in.

08-14-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
I have performed all the standard techniques, as I have with all cameras that have the AF Fine Adjustment, using the Spyder Cal tool.
My K-1ii clearly has a back focus issue across at least two lenses tried fo far: Pentax 28-105, and Sigma 105 2.8.. the only other lens I can test is the 50-135 in crop mode.
Before you send it in, perhaps verify your testing procedure the simple way against a flat test target like a newspaper. Kind of like how Pentax describe it here:

How to optimize focusing accuracy with large-aperture lenses / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

But otherwise, send body and one of the offending lenses in for adjustment under warranty. It's the kind of thing DSLR makers have to do all the time.
08-20-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am sending it into Precision for a warranty repair adjustment.
Back Focus is showing in all my lenses.
08-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #7

I would try to replace your unit by a new one, rather than repairing yours.

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 01:37 AM ----------

Front / back / inconsistent focus is what pushes me back sometimes about DSLRs. I do prefer watching through pentaprism rather than an electronic viewfinder, although I think the mirrorless cameras are the future. Not only they are much more focus consistent, they are certainly much more light efficient (a 2.8 lens on a DSLR might easily be equivalent to a 2.0 or even 1.4 on a mirrorless).

Last edited by alvaro_garcia; 08-22-2018 at 01:39 AM.
08-22-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
My first K1-II body had back focus issues across all of my lenses as well; all required +10 and I was still a hair off from achieving critical focus via AF. I ended up swapping the body out with another and the new one is spot on. All lenses require zero micro focus adjustments as confirmed with a focus calibration chart.

As you're 4 months in, the best option is to send it in as you've already stated.
08-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
My first K1-II body had back focus issues across all of my lenses as well; all required +10 and I was still a hair off from achieving critical focus via AF. I ended up swapping the body out with another and the new one is spot on. All lenses require zero micro focus adjustments as confirmed with a focus calibration chart.

As you're 4 months in, the best option is to send it in as you've already stated.
That is good news. I am sure they can adjust it, it is just a bit of an inconvenience