Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
One thing I would say about "need" vs. want goes back to my days in sales. We used to talk about the "nice to have" and the "need to have" with respect to pricing. In the latter case a customer would find the way to stretch almost invariably, so the only problem in closing was a competitor's pricing (if applicable). It was in the "nice to have" category where pricing became very finely sliced if you will.
Interesting that - working in a totally different sector, as I did for a while - namely kitchen gadgetry and utensils -my experience was that people would spend as little as possible on stuff they needed, but (largely) forgot about price when it came to stuff they wanted.

08-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Interesting that - working in a totally different sector, as I did for a while - namely kitchen gadgetry and utensils -my experience was that people would spend as little as possible on stuff they needed, but (largely) forgot about price when it came to stuff they wanted.
I was working in the corporate/academic/non-profit sector markets, so basically business. I can see how in consumer goods there's a lot of "aspirational" purchasing---one reason the upper-middle class and those below have been hit hard. Instead of being frugal, they aspire to something higher and spend like it. And then that works its way downward. In business the spending is often more hard-headed (until you get up into the top executives, who spend on themselves).
08-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
(until you get up into the top executives, who spend on themselves).
yes
08-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #19

It doesn't surprise me that the K1 / K1-II is arguably one of the top 3 FF cameras on the market today (said by many: both enthusiasts and professionals).

I'm still thinking if buying a new K1-II body.

08-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 is really good camera, and as stated in that review, it is really good bang for a buck. I will update my K-1 to markII. I think that I'll wait for next FF model to decide if i get one more for 2 camera setup, or upgrade to that next flashy thing. But all I know for now that my K-1(soon MKII) will serve me for many years.

08-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
K-1 is really good camera, and as stated in that review, it is really good bang for a buck. I will update my K-1 to markII. I think that I'll wait for next FF model to decide if i get one more for 2 camera setup, or upgrade to that next flashy thing. But all I know for now that my K-1(soon MKII) will serve me for many years.
Same for me.
08-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #22

It seems to be a good choice.
Only obstacle for buying one right away is the money
Body is not so expensive but you need a good lenses for it also so it will add up.
But maybe with in a year I can manage to get the money together.

08-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
A very fair rating. He is equally fair in his reasons for stating why mirrorless is the future ahead of us regarding camera technology. I agree with his opinion, that DSLR technology has pretty much reached the end of its evolutionary path, and mirrorless technologies are what camermakers will in general be investing in. I still shoot the K3II with DA560, but am no longer waiting for a successor. Shooting the Sony A7rII with the Zeiss Loxia lenses has made me much more passionate about the mirrorless camera platform. So much so, that I will probably shoot the K3II for a few more years, and switch to mirrorless for wildlife also.

I believe Pentax should make plans about a mirrorless platform.

Chris
In addition to my Pentax DSLRs (I shoot a K-1ii having recently sold my K-3ii), I shoot Leica mirrorless cameras. Even I have to admit that the Leica glass and its 24.3 MP performance is better than the K-1ii, but it's also 2 to 3 times the price. I also like the size of the Leica, but there are moments where I miss many opportunities due to composition and manual speed. I am very impressed with the Pentax RAW files though, the K-1ii in particular produces beautiful natural images before applying post-production editing.
Pentax needs to develop quality glass and produce a full-frame mirrorless if it is to remain relevant. Ironically, Leica has introduced its first DSLR, the SL (at $7,000 a copy--LOL). Perhaps a reasonably priced mirrorless made similar to the K-1ii build quality is in order.
09-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
seems like the criteria are image quality.. Video and AF are not as important....
But the FF mirrorless are not covered. Sony A7III would probably trump most of these cameras.
The Leica M10 with Summicron glass trumps the Sony A7iii, but mirrorless cameras and DSLR's are two distinct breeds.....this was a DSLR test and the Sony lacks a certain flat color palette that I find in Pentax and Leica RAW files. Of course, the Sony is a fine camera, but it also costs more than the Pentax K-1ii, though it is less than the Leica.