Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Removing dust from viewfinder - K1 Mark II

Not sure how it happened but it happened; have some dust trapped between the prism and the focus screen. Whilst the manual states the focus screens are not replaceable, I've read that they can be dropped down or removed. If so, does anyone here have any instructions on how to do so? There's one black spec that's almost dead center next to the center focus point. Doesn't show in the photos but it's annoying to see on a new camera.

Worst case scenario, I'll live with it and send it in for a CLA after 12 months. At least that's what I usually did with my Canons.

08-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd live with it and do as you propose. My experience with removing focus screens (and not the K1 variation with LCD elements) leads me to conclude that it is a risky process and you sometimes come away worse than you started. I would leave it to the professionals in this case.

What leads you to believe the dust is on the prism side of the focus screen? If the speck is in sharp focus, chances are it's on the image side of the screen.
08-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Have you tried a air blower ? If dust can get there. A blower just might blow it out, or blow it to the side so it's not in the center.
08-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I'd live with it and do as you propose. My experience with removing focus screens (and not the K1 variation with LCD elements) leads me to conclude that it is a risky process and you sometimes come away worse than you started. I would leave it to the professionals in this case.

What leads you to believe the dust is on the prism side of the focus screen? If the speck is in sharp focus, chances are it's on the image side of the screen.
I believe the dust is sandwiched between the prism and screen as diopter adjustments can move the spec in and out of focus. I've swapped screens before on my Canon 5D. I don't want to remove the screen per se; just drop the frame down so I can use the blower to dust it off. I know it's possible as someone here has already managed it, but did not provide instructions in his post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/334092-focussing-screens-...ml#post3830690

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
Have you tried a air blower ? If dust can get there. A blower just might blow it out, or blow it to the side so it's not in the center.
I think it was the rocket blower that got the dust up there in the first place! I was out and about today taking photos and had to switch lenses several times throughout the day. When I got home, I took the rocket and blew off the mirror as some particles had landed on it from when the body was exposed. The dust wasn't in the viewfinder prior to that.

Anyway, I always hold the body with the mount facing downwards when blowing out dust. In my case, a few tiny particles must have gotten up there somehow. Using the blower to the best of my ability will not dislodge the particles.

08-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

As far as I know the K-1 uses the same catch design on the focusing screen frame as with the APS-C bodies. You could always try PMing the OP of the thread on screen replacement and asking how he/she released the frame. The members profile shows a post in June of this year.
08-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I think it was the rocket blower that got the dust up there in the first place! I was out and about today taking photos and had to switch lenses several times throughout the day. When I got home, I took the rocket and blew off the mirror as some particles had landed on it from when the body was exposed. The dust wasn't in the viewfinder prior to that.

Anyway, I always hold the body with the mount facing downwards when blowing out dust. In my case, a few tiny particles must have gotten up there somehow. Using the blower to the best of my ability will not dislodge the particles.
Bugger.

I use the same technique when blowing my cameras. So far I've been lucky and not had any problems. Hope you can get it sorted. It would be very distracting/ annoying having that right in the center.
08-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

This may be useful:

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
K-1 focusing screen is attached pretty much the same way like it is for example in K-5 ... it is actually little bit easier to remove. My K-1 came with couple of dust spots so I've removed it to blow them off and then attached it back.
The overlay is somewhere behind it, I did not had to mess with it at all.
I expect replacement focusing screens will work just fine if they are not much thicker than the original one.
If they now have the S-type for K-1 I'm going to give it a try

08-21-2018, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Not being familiar with the APS-C bodies, but referencing this link: --Pentax K3 K5 K7 K30 K50 K-S1 K-S2 KP focusing screen front focusing revise guide--

It appears that the latch is pulled towards the front of the camera and the frame should just drop down?

EDIT: Success!!! I decided to man up and just try. Gently lifted the silver latch up towards the mount opening and the whole frame just plopped downwards. I held the camera at a 45 degree angle so the whole thing wouldn't just come crashing down. Took a blower and puffed away. After, I gently pushed the frame back up until it latched. All the dust specs are now gone from the viewfinder.

Have to admit though... I was dreading the entire experience.

Last edited by amstel78; 08-21-2018 at 06:13 PM.
08-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of spots of dust in my K-1 viewfinder (possibly after using a blower on the sensor) and I'm also pretty careful with how I orientate the body during cleaning and also minimising lens swap times.

I'm just going to live with it personally, as even if I get rid of the dust out of the viewfinder, I suspect some will turn up again the next time I need to use the blower on the sensor (I had the same problem on my K-5). But then they are not particularly intrusive dust spots.
Pity there is no sealing under the focus screen to avoid this sort of thing.
08-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I have a couple of spots of dust in my K-1 viewfinder (possibly after using a blower on the sensor) and I'm also pretty careful with how I orientate the body during cleaning and also minimising lens swap times.

I'm just going to live with it personally, as even if I get rid of the dust out of the viewfinder, I suspect some will turn up again the next time I need to use the blower on the sensor (I had the same problem on my K-5). But then they are not particularly intrusive dust spots.
Pity there is no sealing under the focus screen to avoid this sort of thing.
Well, if you have a pair of thin metal tweezers and a steady hand, you can get rid of the dust spots in about 2 minutes. The toughest part is summoning the courage to do it. Just go slow and be gentle and you'll be fine.
08-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
EDIT: Success!!! I decided to man up and just try. Gently lifted the silver latch up towards the mount opening and the whole frame just plopped downwards. I held the camera at a 45 degree angle so the whole thing wouldn't just come crashing down. Took a blower and puffed away. After, I gently pushed the frame back up until it latched. All the dust specs are now gone from the viewfinder.

Have to admit though... I was dreading the entire experience.
Impressive! Congratulations.
08-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have similar with K-7 and K-5 IIs. Annoying but I will live with it rather than risk damaging anything. My eyesight and dexterity are not what they used to be.
08-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe the dust is sandwiched between the prism and screen as diopter adjustments can move the spec in and out of focus.
I'm glad you got it fixed, but the moving in and out of focus with diopter adjustment is what you would expect for dust on the underside (focus side) of the screen.

Steve
08-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #14

Glad to hear you fixed it.
08-22-2018, 03:48 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm glad you got it fixed, but the moving in and out of focus with diopter adjustment is what you would expect for dust on the underside (focus side) of the screen.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I didn't know that. I thought it would have been on the side butting up against the prism since the diopter Also adjusts the focus of the LCD overlay used to provide grid lines. Regardless, those particles are now gone after dropping the frame and blowing it out. I'm glad to know the screen isn't truly fixed in place and can be moved down for cleaning.

Best,
James