Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 04:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1 II just ordered! and a few questions

Hi!
Just ordered the K-1 II kit with 28-105mm, as an upgrade from K-3 II. I thought it would have been a K-3 III !

The main benefits to my use are :
- resolution and dynamic range and pixel shift II for landscapes
- high ISOs and better AF for sports
- FF/crop modes for a simulated TC on FF lenses when max resolution is not needed

- making my primes come alive

Not sure how long will my DA* 50-135 last before upgrading to the D-FA* 70-200... the size/weight/price doesn't appeal much at the moment!

A few questions in mind, from what I know or could read somewhere.
Does the APS-C crops keeps benefit of FF like :
1) Depth of field alteration (F2.8 on FF is said to look like F2 on APS-C. But is this only because if the cropped part added in frame ?)
2) Better dynamic range(is this only due to the bigger pixel size, that would remain the same in crop mode ?)

3) Better high ISOs (same) ?

Can't wait!

Last edited by azath; 08-31-2018 at 05:39 AM.
08-31-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by azath Quote

1) Depth of field alteration (F2.8 on FF is said to look like F2 on APS-C. But is this only because if the cropped part added in frame ?)
2) Better dynamic resolution (is this only due to the bigger pixel size, that would remain the same in crop mode ?)

Can't wait!
Congrats on the K1 II

1) The DoF effects of fullframe come from the change in focal length and optical magnification that occur when you attempt to exactly replicate an APS-C image using an FF camera (which entails changing lenses to get the same field of view). But no such change occurs for cropped FF versus APS-C so as far as DoF and bokeh is concerned, cropped pictures coming from the K-1 will be identical to APS-C images.

2) Dynamic range would be better even in a cropped K-1ii images because of the larger pixels and more modern sensor and electronics.

3) The better high ISO effect would also show in cropped K-1ii images, too.

Enjoy your new camera!
08-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Congrats on the K1 II

1) The DoF effects of fullframe come from the change in focal length and optical magnification that occur when you attempt to exactly replicate an APS-C image using an FF camera (which entails changing lenses to get the same field of view). But no such change occurs for cropped FF versus APS-C so as far as DoF and bokeh is concerned, cropped pictures coming from the K-1 will be identical to APS-C images.

2) Dynamic range would be better even in a cropped K-1ii images because of the larger pixels and more modern sensor and electronics.

3) The better high ISO effect would also show in cropped K-1ii images, too.

Enjoy your new camera!
Thanks for the detailed insight !
08-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I got my K1 the image quality was a shock. I also not have a K1-II. I have a K5, K5-IIs, K3 also. The images were just awesome. Cropping not an issue either. Since I got my K1, I no longer miss film. As for a 70-200 f2.8 lens, I have owned the Tamron version for several years and it is a very good lens. Enough so that I really cannot justify getting the Pentax version at this time.

08-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
When I got my K1 the image quality was a shock. I also not have a K1-II. I have a K5, K5-IIs, K3 also. The images were just awesome. Cropping not an issue either. Since I got my K1, I no longer miss film. As for a 70-200 f2.8 lens, I have owned the Tamron version for several years and it is a very good lens. Enough so that I really cannot justify getting the Pentax version at this time.
I figure I will get the Tamron version as well when I save up for that lens. Unless I can find some compelling reasons why the Pentax is worth the extra $$$.

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 08:37 AM ----------

Hi!
Just ordered the K-1 II kit with 28-105mm, as an upgrade from K-3 II. I thought it would have been a K-3 III !

For sports, you might want to keep the K-3 II because it has nearly twice the FPS as the K-1. Unless you go to crop mode where I believe it is only 50% faster.

K-3 II 8.3 fps
K-1 FF 4.4 fps
K-1 ASP-C 6.5 fps

If my google-fu is correct on the FPS.
08-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I figure I will get the Tamron version as well when I save up for that lens. Unless I can find some compelling reasons why the Pentax is worth the extra $$$.

Through the rest of today, (August 31) you can get the Pentax D FA 150-450 lens plus the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens for only a few dollars more that the list price of the D FA 150-450 lens alone. This is at B&H Photo.
08-31-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Original Poster

For sports, you might want to keep the K-3 II because it has nearly twice the FPS as the K-1. Unless you go to crop mode where I believe it is only 50% faster.

K-3 II 8.3 fps
K-1 FF 4.4 fps
K-1 ASP-C 6.5 fps

I'm aware of the step-down in FPS, but I almost never find myself shooting at max. burst speed, usually "medium speed" burst setting when I need to. So I guess it won't be an issue ;-)

08-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Through the rest of today, (August 31) you can get the Pentax D FA 150-450 lens plus the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens for only a few dollars more that the list price of the D FA 150-450 lens alone. This is at B&H Photo.
Alas, I am tapped out until next year. I had bad GAS this year. Need to save some funds. Likely my next lens purchase will be the 15-30 for landscape and Astro.
08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi!

- resolution and dynamic range and pixel shift II for landscapes
- FF/crop modes for a simulated TC on FF lenses when max resolution is not needed

- making my primes come alive

Not sure how long will my DA* 50-135 last before upgrading to the D-FA* 70-200... the size/weight/price doesn't appeal much at the moment!

2) Better dynamic range(is this only due to the bigger pixel size, that would remain the same in crop mode ?)

Can't wait!
You made a good choice for your starting kit. The lens will serve you well as you decide what you need to add. Take your time and enjoy your fine set up.
08-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have my K-1 II on my Pentax 70-200. The shots I have gotten with them are excellent. They are both great pieces of equipment.
08-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where was this deal last year when I got both the D FA 150-450 and the D FA 70-200 just posting so I can win the mkII
08-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As already noted, pixel size remains he same so dynamic range is the same in crop mode. However, the crop mode on the K-1 II uses a 4:3 ratio (4800 x 3200), compared to the 3:2 ratio (6016 x 4000) of the K-3. Just something to consider, depending on what you are shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
just posting so I can win the mkII
Getting closer, only 345 posts to go!
09-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 08:37 AM ----------

K-3 II 8.3 fps
K-1 FF 4.4 fps
K-1 ASP-C 6.5 fps

Of interest is that the K1 Mark II doesn't drop in speed in either mode if you hold down the AF button af-c mode. The K3 definitely slowed down, not sure about the K3 II.
09-01-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
However, the crop mode on the K-1 II uses a 4:3 ratio (4800 x 3200), compared to the 3:2 ratio (6016 x 4000) of the K-3. Just something to consider, depending on what you are shooting.
4800x3200 is very 3:2 to me !