Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Night Sky Photography K-1 vs K-1 Mark II - Comparison Requests

All,

If all goes well, I hope to get one more dark sky shoot in this season. I should have 2 to 3 hours of Milky Way where I live depending on where I decide to shoot.

So are there any requests on comparing the 2 cameras in this type of photography?

Anything to help out those that are interested in comparing the 2 cameras.

The ISO 100 Magenta Cast issue is still around but interestingly, a member noticed that my long exposure (60 seconds) images did not seem to have it but my 20 seconds images did. So I will be trying some different shutter times to see what happens there.

But I also want to help out if you have any specific requests.

09-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want to see where both do at 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 ISO. Also, do you have anything set up for DSO photography? I am asking because I am debating on sending mine out for the upgrade.
09-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I want to see where both do at 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 ISO. Also, do you have anything set up for DSO photography? I am asking because I am debating on sending mine out for the upgrade.
Try these images. Link

ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600 for both cameras.

I see the Magenta hue on the Mark II at ISO 100.

Also, in the link is the 1 min exposures in my backyard that do not seem to show the magenta hue for ISO 100.

As for DSO, not yet. No tracker and my fast lenses are wide. I do have an old Pentax M f/3.5 135mm but I have not tried any DSO yet. Maybe with AstroTracer I can get some decent shots.
09-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I see the Magenta hue on the Mark II at ISO 100.
Agree. In these samples, I see the hue too. Really strange.

09-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow thats interesting. There is a difference in the WB setting the camera used between K-1 and K-1 II but that does not explain it all because if I set them to the same WB there is still a big difference.
In this instance the K-1 II has less noise perhaps but I like the output of the K-1 better.
09-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

Thank you for all the testing! I too would like to see if the magenta hue "issue" could be figured out once and for all.

How are people dealing with the hue in their images? Does it process out easily or is the image typically ruined?
09-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Binth Quote
Thank you for all the testing! I too would like to see if the magenta hue "issue" could be figured out once and for all.

How are people dealing with the hue in their images? Does it process out easily or is the image typically ruined?
I think it is really an isolated case. If you underexpose at ISO 100 and want to push the exposure you can see this. But if you do not do that, you do not see it.

So it for those people in that situation. At nights, I shoot at higher ISO's so do not have the issue. But that is my style.

There are those who do shoot this way and I am not sure if there is a great solution. I personally have not tried to fix an image with it. So not sure if you can do it.

09-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I think it is really an isolated case. If you underexpose at ISO 100 and want to push the exposure you can see this. But if you do not do that, you do not see it.
In other words, only a problem for people who don't understand how to use a camera. There have always been issues caused by underexposing and boosting in post. The amazing thing is, some people claim their shouldn't be. Folks sure get crazy from time to time.

Camera companies build into camera various software fixes designed to deal with using camera at shorter exposure times than one would bet with base ISOs. Individual users, claim they know better. To do that they use extreme;y selective criteria which they claim apply to every day shooting. My advice... ignore them. Shoot with the convenience built into the camera, The results will be acceptable.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.
09-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

Thank you for the replies - it is not something I am in the habit of doing but more curious about the "issue".
09-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Binth Quote
Thank you for the replies - it is not something I am in the habit of doing but more curious about the "issue".
For some it matters. And in all honesty. If you have 14 stops of Dynamic Range, would you not want to use 14 stops of dynamic range?
09-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hue like that is easy to fix in post. Thanks!
09-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So things did not work out as planned and I did not get out to a good location for Milky Way. The location I tried had too much light pollution to have some great test shots.

Maybe I will luck out at another location and just do some dark sky shots without the Milky Way since the last time is in October until Feb/March.
09-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
So things did not work out as planned and I did not get out to a good location for Milky Way. The location I tried had too much light pollution to have some great test shots.

Maybe I will luck out at another location and just do some dark sky shots without the Milky Way since the last time is in October until Feb/March.
Appreciate your efforts regardless. Thank you!

I have been doing some playing with exif data on the prior images you posted. Lightroom 6.14 recognizes the K-1 II PEF files after modifying the appropriate field to say it was a K-1, however, no change in the magenta hue - this was one of your night landscape (canyon?) shots at ISO 100. It would be interesting to have that equivalent shot as a DNG from the camera to see what modifying the exif would do. I haven't been able to find it, but really thought someone posted that modifying some part of the exif data had an impact on the hue, but since can't find it, perhaps it was just saying that Lightroom would recognize the file after modifying the exif data.