Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

Does Pentax K-Mount DA 18-270mm work well with Pentax K-1 Mark II

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All,
I'm upgrading from K-3 to K-1 II and I was wondering if my Pentax K-Mount DA 18-270mm lens works fine with it.
Please let me know where I can find information on this topic or if you know the answer.

Thanks,
Bavand

09-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can use it in crop mode. Use the PF Lens Compatibility checker.

To be honest though, it's not a great combination. In crop mode you will drop to K5 resolution (about 16 MP), and in any case the optical quality of the 18-270 doesn't really match the K1. There is no equivalent superzoom for Full Frame, so you should adjust your expectations. For general purpose, the DFA 28-105 (available as a kit with the K1 II at moderate cost) is the way to go, but of course you are losing a lot of reach at the long end. The FoV at the short end is similar.

If you really want the long reach, then either stick with APS-C, or be prepared to shell out Big Bucks for the DFA 150-450 on FF.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 09-19-2018 at 02:34 PM.
09-19-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bavand Quote
All,
I'm upgrading from K-3 to K-1 II and I was wondering if my Pentax K-Mount DA 18-270mm lens works fine with it.
Please let me know where I can find information on this topic or if you know the answer.

Thanks,
Bavand
You would want to replace it with the D FA 28-105mm as you walkaround lens:

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The 18-270mm strictly only covers the crop image circle.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old fa 28-200 or a Tamron 28-300 would be ok but those aren't super sharp especially on the long end.

09-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The old fa 28-200 or a Tamron 28-300 would be ok but those aren't super sharp especially on the long end.
I agree with this 100%. Having said that, the old Tamron 28-300 isn't a bad lens at all, if you consider the wide-to-very-telephoto range. Stopped down a bit, it's actually capable of quite decent results. It won't compete with newer lenses like the DFA28-105 Adam mentioned, nor any really modern zoom or prime, for that matter. But it's not as bad as some might have us believe. I have both the older and newer versions in Sony A-mount, and they're really quite useful. One just has to have realistic expectations
09-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have yet to buy one, but given all the glowing reviews of the DFA 28-105, I think that would be the way to go to make sure you fully enjoyed what your new K1 II can do.
09-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I have yet to buy one, but given all the glowing reviews of the DFA 28-105, I think that would be the way to go to make sure you fully enjoyed what your new K1 II can do.
The problem is that 28-105 is like 18-70 on crop. Really nothing like the 18-270. A 28-300 is closer but still falls a bit short of the 405 equivalent length that the 18-270 offers on crop.

09-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I would recommend 28-105.
Another option could be
Tamron AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR IF
An old, cheap and iq is not as good. But it is FF compatible lens, pretty nice when stopped down (and accepting it's limitations).
It's focusing nice and quickly on K-1.
09-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The problem is that 28-105 is like 18-70 on crop. Really nothing like the 18-270. A 28-300 is closer but still falls a bit short of the 405 equivalent length that the 18-270 offers on crop.
Yes, quite true. I can't remember exacty where it landed, but if my memory is holding together, there was a thread by @madbrain where he was looking for a good "super zoom" for the K-1 II. I believe he did come up with a lens that seemed to perform pretty well for the range.
09-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You can use it in crop mode. Use the PF Lens Compatibility checker.

To be honest though, it's not a great combination. In crop mode you will drop to K5 resolution (about 16 MP), and in any case the optical quality of the 18-270 doesn't really match the K1. There is no equivalent superzoom for Full Frame, so you should adjust your expectations. For general purpose, the DFA 28-105 (available as a kit with the K1 II at moderate cost) is the way to go, but of course you are losing a lot of reach at the long end. The FoV at the short end is similar.

If you really want the long reach, then either stick with APS-C, or be prepared to shell out Big Bucks for the DFA 150-450 on FF.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you really want the long reach
Thank you for your reply Paul,
so the lens does not work in the FF mode at all and it's the same as a K-5 at any focal length?
09-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Bavand Quote
so the lens does not work in the FF mode at all and it's the same as a K-5 at any focal length?
The camera won't hinder you operating it in FF mode, but the image will be severely vignetted, so "cropping" to APS-C either in postprocessing or in-camera seems to be the most sensible solution.

You might gain a slightly larger image than APS-C, but not by much.

Besides, the optical quality of that lens won't be as good to do credit to the K-1.

Most zoom lenses degrade with high zoom factors, the 18-270 is a 15x zoom lens.

More "professional" zoom lenses don't use zoom factors above 3 or 4. The 70-200 range is 3x, the 28-105 is slightly below 4x.

It seems to be impossible to get a f/2.8 zoom with a zoom factor higher than 3.

There is a 10x zoom lens on the market which is some kind of an exception to the zoom factor/crap ratio, that is the "bigma", a 50-500 zoom, which in some markets can still be obtained in Pentax K lens mount. That one does perform decently on the K-1, and it even comes with an optical image stabilizer. Yes, that works with the K-1 (and all other SDM-capable Pentax bodies since the K10D).

More about the "bigma" can be found here Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
and here Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO OS HSM Review - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Be careful if you obtain an older copy, since that lens is one of those likely to scratch the K-1's body. On newer copies, Sigma replaced the bayonet ring with an updated construction.

This lens will give you the most "bang for the buck", but it comes with some weight - it's slightly heavier than the HD Pentax-D FA 70-200/2.8
09-23-2018, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yes, quite true. I can't remember exacty where it landed, but if my memory is holding together, there was a thread by @madbrain where he was looking for a good "super zoom" for the K-1 II. I believe he did come up with a lens that seemed to perform pretty well for the range.
Yes, it was long quest to find the right lens, though. See :

Full frame superzoom ? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

I settled on the Tamron A061P model, which is the last full-frame version Tamron of the Tamron in K mount, which was designed not for film but for digital. It was released over a decade ago, even though Pentax didn't have a full-frame camera at the time.
IQ is good. Focusing in low-light indoors is very slow. Acceptable in daylight. The optics are the same as their other mount versions for full-frame Canon DSLR at the time. The specific lens model was really hard to find. I ended up ordering it from Japan on Amazon. Looks like he has another one available still.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00067ILIA/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?tag=p...condition=used

Looks like someone on Ebay has it for less now :
Tamron AF 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 XR LD IF Macro PENTAX K AF KAF From Japan N Mint F/S | eBay

There are other older versions like the A06 which are easier to come around, but not made for digital, and may not have the same coatings and produce some CA / PF, of which I see none on my A061P.

There are also even older Tamron of the 28-300 like the 185D, which I would recommend avoiding.