Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Gallery
mk2 feels way more decisive with AF, faster as well.

Currently I shoot a lot of low lit venues, often at high ISO and the noise is barely there. The IQ is amazing to work with, something I would never consider before the K1 was launched. Of course the K1 (not mk2) performs imo just as well at high ISO, the differences are minuscule, while there, not groundbreaking.

09-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
<<I wouldn't diss the dynamic pixel shift unless you try it. I have processing software, it is free and works well.>>

What processing software are you using? For my use dynamic pixel shift is the only feature of the upgrade that is appealing but I had decided not to do the upgrade because my understanding is that there is no software to process the DPS Raw files. I would be interested in any info on this. Thanks.
Rawtherapee. Also a command line raw decoder.
02-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I actually sold my K-1 ii and bought a K-1. With the firmware updated to 1.50, other than the hand held pixel shift, I see no advantage differential in focus or performance. What other real differences are there? the sensor, the lack of AA, etc. all seem better to my style of picture taking with K-1. So I vote nay to the II.
02-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I actually sold my K-1 ii and bought a K-1. With the firmware updated to 1.50, other than the hand held pixel shift, I see no advantage differential in focus or performance. What other real differences are there? the sensor, the lack of AA, etc. all seem better to my style of picture taking with K-1. So I vote nay to the II.
I am still waiting for my notification from Precision to sent in my K1 for the upgrade. We shall see....

02-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
I am still waiting for my notification from Precision to sent in my K1 for the upgrade. We shall see....
You should probably call them...
I signed up the last day, and mine’s been done for a month now...

-Eric
02-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #36

Original Poster
Today, after 5 months and 3 days, I finally got an e-mail notification from Precision Camera: "We now have about 50 kits available..." for K1 upgrades. They gave me the option to keep my spot for the K1 upgrade or to opt out of the program. This afternoon I sent my K1 in for upgrade. I rationalize that I can still purchase a gently used K1 on the open market, if need be. Of course, I could have just gone out and purchased a new K1 Mk II, but at this time I do not need another FF body. I think I am still waiting for the next generation Pentax flagship cropped sensor body to succeed my K3 with a faster sensor like in the KP. Still waiting to see the future announcements from Ricoh about the future Pentax roadmap for additional bodies and lenses. A DFA85mm/1.4 would be nice before I am too crippled to handhold it in a few years!
02-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you absolutely certain that Rawtherapee can handle DPS files from the Mark II, Derek? Last I heard from the developer who programmed the motion correction for "regular" PS files in RT (@heckflosse here), he did not want to even try delving into the DPS since the needed motion info is only found in-camera and not part of the raw data so unavailable to him.

02-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Are you absolutely certain that Rawtherapee can handle DPS files from the Mark II, Derek? Last I heard from the developer who programmed the motion correction for "regular" PS files in RT (@heckflosse here), he did not want to even try delving into the DPS since the needed motion info is only found in-camera and not part of the raw data so unavailable to him.
Doesn't look like it.
03-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #39

Original Poster
After 5 months I finally got notice to send in my K1 for upgrade. I sent it in last Thursday and it arrived at Precision on this Monday. I just my shiny K1 MkII back today in a week's time. Wow, when the system works, it works. I can't really tell if the K1 MkII is faster on my DFA and FA lenses at my first go around. Now that it's finally done, it's done. It seems I can find numerous gently used K1 bodies on the market, if I really have to. So ultimately when I asked, K1 to K1 Mark II or not II, I did and now I have to live with it!
03-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
After 5 months I finally got notice to send in my K1 for upgrade. I sent it in last Thursday and it arrived at Precision on this Monday. I just my shiny K1 MkII back today in a week's time. Wow, when the system works, it works. I can't really tell if the K1 MkII is faster on my DFA and FA lenses at my first go around. Now that it's finally done, it's done. It seems I can find numerous gently used K1 bodies on the market, if I really have to. So ultimately when I asked, K1 to K1 Mark II or not II, I did and now I have to live with it!
Like I said before, I sold my K-1 Mark ii because I did not like the accelerator unit altering my raw files. I don't miss hand held pixel shift, because my style of photography doesn't require it.