Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Used K1 Price

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to the MkII and was concerned about being able to sell my K1 for a decent price. Anyone have done the same and were they able to sell K1 without taking a huge hit?

Thanks.

09-27-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Define a "huge hit"?

You're unrealistic if you think you can sell any used digital camera for close to what you paid for it new! For one thing, the warrenttee is not transferrable, that alone will reduce the price a few hundred dollars.

You're probably better off just sending your current K-1 in for an upgrade.
09-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you will do better to upgrade yours. However, you're down to about 3 days to register for it - believe the last day is September 30. Here: Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair
09-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While the used K-1 prices have held at a decent point, even if you had a low shutter count, you would come out much better doing as Fenwoodian said and getting yours upgraded.

All used electronics take a pretty good hit, especially when there’s no warranty.

09-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If I were looking to estimate as asking price, I'd look at the best (lowest) price for a new one from Adorama/BH and plan on asking somewhere between 70 and 80% of that. Would also research the sold listings of this website to see if one sold recently and if the asking price is shown. Keep in mind, though, that the actual selling price may have been less than the asking price.
09-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget to calculate eBay/PayPal type fees if your sale involves them.
09-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to the MkII and was concerned about being able to sell my K1 for a decent price. Anyone have done the same and were they able to sell K1 without taking a huge hit?

Thanks.
The last 3 K-1's that have sold on the marketplace were around $1300 (all under 10k actuations). So as others have hinted at, upgrading your K-1 will likely cost the same, if not slightly less after factoring in fees.

Still, this is a really good used value compared to other brands.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The last 3 K-1's that have sold on the marketplace were around $1300 (all under 10k actuations). So as others have hinted at, upgrading your K-1 will likely cost the same, if not slightly less after factoring in fees.

Still, this is a really good used value compared to other brands.
Agree! Check out the other brands and you'll see how their price plummets after 2 to 3 years compared to the introductory price. Remember, the K-1 debuted for something like $1899 (or was it $1999?) back in 2016. I think Pentax being a small fry in the marketplace plays well for the resale value. Supply and demand. Demand isn't too weak but supply is pretty limited.
09-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Remember, the K-1 debuted for something like $1899 (or was it $1999?) back in 2016.
$1799, then it was increased to $1949 late that year (but street prices remained more or less unchanged, with occasional sales pushing the camera down to the $1499-1699 territory).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2018, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I decided to put in for the upgrade. Looks like there is back log so hopefully I will not have to send in until after the fall color season.