Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I called Precision on 9/20 to ask about an upgrade request I submitted on 7/15, but have been waiting to get contacted to send in my camera since the summer. I was told to wait for parts to be available again in the next few days. Still waiting. Got all the necessary papers and a box with packing material ready to go.

10-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And to add insult to injury after telling me they had the parts send it in on 9-24, when a phone call on Friday 9-28 reveled they didn't have the parts on 9-24 and have no idea when they will have the parts they charged my card on 9-27.. A call to them today and they said it was to hold the parts ???? THEY DONT HAVE THE PARTS !!!!! What parts they are holding I have no idea... I told them to put the money back on my card til they have some parts to hold. Mean while I don't have the camera, the whole point of calling them on 9-24 was so this exact thing didn't happen..
10-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #18

The lady I spoke to seemed a bit flustered, I got the same canned answer of wait till we contact you. I asked her about the number of backorders as well and she did not know. Funny enough you can still upgrade on their website.
10-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #19

Original Poster
After filling out the form to Ricoh on Sunday night 9/30 I got the "Your contact request has been received! " email on 10/1 with a phone number to call if I had any questions. Hell yeah I got a question it was on the form I sent ya !!!! So I call them Monday afternoon and was told so and so would get back to me with an approximate date for the boards to get in.. Crickets is all I heard so I called back yesterday afternoon 10/4 and got another we'll get back to you and still more crickets... You would think at some point somebody would know something about this....

10-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I called last week and they told me to send in my K1 to beat the deadline EVEN thought the site clearly says to wait until they reach out. I opted to not deal with the risk of missing the deadline so sent in my camera. I do have a K3 II sitting around - so now it's back in action.

I am not optimistic about the timeline on this upgrade! But I guess we will see.
10-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From Precison's site this morning - looks like they have a final count of parts they are waiting for delivery on - still have my K-1 in hand waiting for the signal to send it in. Not worried about losing out. Not in Ricoh's best interest to deny someone who registered by the deadline:

------------

Thank you for your interest in the Pentax K-1 MK II Upgrade Service. As of 09/30 registration for the service has ended.

• If you placed an order before 09/30 you will be contacted to send your K-1 in for the Upgrade Service once we have confirmation of the final allotment is inbound and we can proceed with the service.
  • Precision will be obtaining the final allotment of upgrade parts and will fulfill any order not yet received, or currently in house waiting for service.
We thank you for your business. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/ricoh/

Last edited by clickclick; 10-05-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added link
10-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good. I got mine in and registered in time, but still have the camera here until I get notice to send it on in.

10-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #23

In regards to Precision we have to be proactive, I will call them again on Monday to see when to send it in. I wonder what would be the final number for all the upgrades performed.
10-06-2018, 09:22 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, here's what I have to say about the whole situation

First, let me credit Pentax for the whole idea. Let me also credit Precision (and all the other repair facilities doing these upgrades around the world) for dealing with what has turned out to be a difficult situation. To whit:

Once again Pentax has apparently woefully underestimated demand---not the first time as I've said elsewhere. This has put undue pressure on Precision, at least, as they've had to not only deal with the demand, but do so while not having all the parts! And from my experience successfully upgrading---part of which I did just to encourage Pentax in what I think is a bold and unprecedentedly user-friendly move---I also know that Precision had at least one personnel change this summer. Finally add to that two related things: first, a lack of clarity and a lot of back and forth about the effectiveness of the upgrade, with some naysayers dominating the conversation for a couple of months until some upgraders and new K1mkII purchasers started weighing in with their positive comments. This led probably led to a lot of delay on the part of some fence sitters, and pushing a lot of the upgrades to the second half of the upgrade period, putting yet more pressure on Precision. I think Precision did the right thing all along by advising folks whether or not to send in their cameras based on supplies of parts. You really can't ask for more, IMO.

So, my recap is that this was a splendid idea that was hit by a perfect storm of problems, but in the end is working out for the best for those who have decided to upgrade. I hope it is judged in the end as a success by all involved, customers, Precision, and Pentax, and that lessons were learned, and that they try it again! Please start with the 645Z!
10-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

mmmmm..... I wish the whole process was over so I can stop thinking about wether I should have either or both of my K1s converted.
10-07-2018, 05:08 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is with CRK in Melbourne...waiting. They have offered to send it back to me until the kits arrive, but I am hoping it won't be too long and so have left it with them.

Hand held pixel shift and even better low light performance will be a big plus for me.
10-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #27

Original Poster
Latest from Precision is the first person I spoke with Steve Mongrain is no longer with the company, and the person I got the email from said

Hello Gary,
Your issue has been escalated to me for review. Unfortunately, Steve is no longer with our company. I located this email message in his inbox today and have sent a request to our accounting team to determine the status of the refund. As it is now past our business hours, I’ll get back to you on Wednesday with the refund status. I will also look into the ETA for the K-1 II Upgrade parts kit to provide you with an ETA for when this can be completed. If you do not wish to wait we would be happy to return the product to you without performing the upgrade.

Thank you,

David Marsh – Precision Camera

Here it is 2 days later and still no reply. I sent another email to him yesterday. Nothing from Ricoh from the on the site form I filled out or the 2 phone calls where they said they would get back to me...
10-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #28
Forum Member

I just got of the phone with them as well. The customer service lady didn't have any information. She took my name and number and said she would email the Ricoh rep and get back to me. I'm not holding my breath on a quick reply or one at all for that matter.
10-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #29
tax

Well, I sent my K-1 for the upgrade on September 27. Precision Camera charged my card on October 4. As of today, my camera is still waiting in the queue to be upgraded to MII specs. Repair Status Lookup reads - "Repair is on hold, waiting for parts. Parts Ordered" Now I am glad that I sent just one of my K-1's to them, not both.
10-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
Latest from Precision is the first person I spoke with Steve Mongrain is no longer with the company, and the person I got the email from said

Hello Gary,
Your issue has been escalated to me for review. Unfortunately, Steve is no longer with our company. I located this email message in his inbox today and have sent a request to our accounting team to determine the status of the refund. As it is now past our business hours, I’ll get back to you on Wednesday with the refund status. I will also look into the ETA for the K-1 II Upgrade parts kit to provide you with an ETA for when this can be completed. If you do not wish to wait we would be happy to return the product to you without performing the upgrade.

Thank you,

David Marsh – Precision Camera

Here it is 2 days later and still no reply. I sent another email to him yesterday. Nothing from Ricoh from the on the site form I filled out or the 2 phone calls where they said they would get back to me...
Very interesting. So Precision has lost at least 2 people since July.