Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1 upgrade delay

So I called Precision Camera on Monday 9/24 to see if they had the parts to do the upgrade and they said yes sent it in. I took it up to UPS and away it went. 9/27 my update on Precision's site says delayed waiting for parts. Called just now 9/28 and they said yup no parts there and they have no idea when they will get more. WTF ??? They can't even give an approximate date for return..

09-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bummer.

If I had to guess, you weren't the only person sending in a K-1 at the last minute. Who knows how many cameras showed up on their doorstep between your call and 9/27.
09-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be willing to bet that's the case as well. Hopefully the wait isn't too long!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guilty for being one of the last ones to pile through the door, but I haven't sent it in yet. Waiting for the parts call first.

09-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm guilty for being one of the last ones to pile through the door, but I haven't sent it in yet. Waiting for the parts call first.
Guilty as well and I haven't sent mine yet either. I called this morning and got the same answer. I too am in waiting mode.

Since this upgrade offer supposedly runs out September 30 maybe, at this point, they're waiting until then to see just how many upgrade kits they will actually need to complete the remaining orders before they place their final order.

Last edited by chuck_c; 09-28-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo
09-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't get mine in before the heavy autumn photo season. I was afraid there might be a delay. If it were to be offered later than Sept 30th, I might consider it.
09-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dropped my second K-1 into the local C.R. Kennedy office for conversion on 10th September. It was in Melbourne the next day.

Two weeks later I had heard nothing back (the first conversion took three days total), so I called up to learn that they had no parts and were not expecting to get the job done until mid-October. So I'd say it's a world wide problem. To my way of thinking, if demand is outstripping supply that actually augurs well for Pentax.

I asked them to return the camera. It was back in Adelaide the next day.

09-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Bummer.

If I had to guess, you weren't the only person sending in a K-1 at the last minute. Who knows how many cameras showed up on their doorstep between your call and 9/27.
According to the gal today they did not have the parts when I called on Monday and have been out, she said she didn't know why they told me they did... I would have waited til they had the parts to send it in, that was the whole point of calling...
09-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
According to the gal today they did not have the parts when I called on Monday and have been out, she said she didn't know why they told me they did... I would have waited til they had the parts to send it in, that was the whole point of calling...
I called them on Monday after filling out the form, they said (a guy, didn't get this name) hold on to the camera till they contact me. I'll probably call on the first to see how bad is the backlog.
09-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I talked with Sun Camera today who does the upgrades in Canada. I asked if they are still doing the Mark 2 upgrades. He said they ordered 12 additional boards but they haven't arrived yet. Not sure if this was to satisfy existing orders or if they sent for more in case more late orders come in. He said to check back toward the end of October to see what they have left. All indications are that they underestimated demand for the upgrade.
09-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #11

Follow up the upgrade in Australia, CR Kennedy mentioned the parts will be available in mid of October. I put my name for the part and they will call me when it is ready
09-29-2018, 06:32 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I sent mine in they had parts, but then quickly didn't, so I had to wait for a while. I think there's been a bit o' demand.

Seems consistent with pretty much everything we've seen from Pentax for some years now: 2014, underestimated demand for the 645Z; 2016, underestimated demand for the K1; 2018, underestimated demand for the 50 f1.4, and underestimated demand for the K1-K1mkII circuit boards; 2018, Ricoh announces an overdue refresh of the GR; 2018, gives a conservative and quiet (yet overall positive) interview at Photokina about the near future.

I'm detecting a pattern. I think it's a conservative company that is concerned about over-reaching in a tightening market, because I think the downside of that is maybe more significant to a small company/division than any possible upside. Yet they are apparently profitable in their niche.

No doom and gloom from me, although I wish I was multi-billionaire and could buy the company or become a partner with Ricoh and do a few things....
09-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
When I sent mine in they had parts, but then quickly didn't, so I had to wait for a while. I think there's been a bit o' demand.

Seems consistent with pretty much everything we've seen from Pentax for some years now: 2014, underestimated demand for the 645Z; 2016, underestimated demand for the K1; 2018, underestimated demand for the 50 f1.4, and underestimated demand for the K1-K1mkII circuit boards; 2018, Ricoh announces an overdue refresh of the GR; 2018, gives a conservative and quiet (yet overall positive) interview at Photokina about the near future.

I'm detecting a pattern. I think it's a conservative company that is concerned about over-reaching in a tightening market, because I think the downside of that is maybe more significant to a small company/division than any possible upside. Yet they are apparently profitable in their niche.

No doom and gloom from me, although I wish I was multi-billionaire and could buy the company or become a partner with Ricoh and do a few things....
Nailed the whole story.

If you and I were single-billionaires, together we could . . .

Imagine what just $100,000,000 could do if you didn’t care whether you ever got it back.
09-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I can't get mine in before the heavy autumn photo season. I was afraid there might be a delay. If it were to be offered later than Sept 30th, I might consider it.
Why don't you register it and hold on to it? I think the only thing that matters is getting the paper work in. I bet you could talk to them and send it in a bit later so you have it in hand while needed. The way it's going, we're probably looking at a few weeks minimum - thinking back to my memory of the July/August time frame where I think the wait for boards was pretty long, and since this looks like a global shortage, I'd think your chances of having even more time are pretty good. Of course, all this is based on wishful thinking, but you can register today and get your spot reserved and work out the timing later.
09-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

Hear, hear