Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Misleading Firmware Upgrade Instructions

I downloaded the v1.5 firmware some time ago, but have put off installing it because I use Linux, and the instructions say "For Windows/Macintosh : k1_v150.zip 8,598Kbytes, zip type. I can shut down and dual boot into Windows if I have to, but it's a chore that I kept leaving till "tomorrow".

But yesterday I settled down to it, and realised from reading the instructions in more detail that the upgrade itself has nothing to do with your PC - the upgrade executable runs in the camera. All you need to do in the PC is to put the executable onto an SD card first. I was a bit annoyed about that, why do they say these misleading things? Reminds me of those bad old days when some websites moaned that you had to use Internet Explorer, and even turned you away if you were not, when actually they worked fine whatever browser you were using (spoofing the browser version if necessary).

The upgrade went fine, straight from v1.0 to v1.5.

10-02-2018, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two points on which the instructions are potentially misleading. The first is the apparent requirement for Windows or MacOS when no such need exists. The second is line one in the instructions where it states that the zip archive is self-extracting; it isn't. The archive requires a separate program to extract the .bin file. While the file system browsers on many recent operating systems will mount a zip archive as a directory, the archive itself is still intact with the .bin file inside. A self-extracting archive, OTOH, is an executable file that writes its contents to the file system when run.

Steve
10-02-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think this is an artifact from the days were they actually provided both a windows and mac executable. Now they do the more sensible thing of providing a zip file.

Also why we publish our own (clear) upgrade guides

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think this is an artifact from the days were they actually provided both a windows and mac executable.
The v1.11 update for the K-3 was still that way in 2014.

Steve