Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 tethering options

I use ACR and Photoshop as my workflow, not LR. I could download LR via my CC subscription and then switch processing the DNG via ACR/PS I assume.

Anyway, I mention LR as this seems to be the tethering route that's mentioned, but I'm not exactly clear what is actually available from Ricoh (it seems to be software that has to be purchased) or 3rd party via a company called Tether Tools (whoever they are). Are any of the options any good, or just a little clunky ?

Anyone kind enough to give me a few high level words, please, as a primer on the tethering options available so I can drill down and get more detailed info from a position of a little knowledge rather than zero, as now ?

Many thanks

10-06-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are serious about tethering, Image Transmitter is the way to go:

Pentax Image Transmitter 2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There's also the LR plugin, which is basically just a shutter button:

Tethering Guide for the Pentax Lightroom Plugin - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Lastly, you get a subset of IT2 features over Wi-Fi:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Anyone kind enough to give me a few high level words, please, as a primer on the tethering options available so I can drill down and get more detailed info from a position of a little knowledge rather than zero, as now ?
The only summary of all possible options is to find here:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
10-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Big help. Thanks a lot I'll take a look. Somehow I'd missed the Review here.

I see it's via USB, as I'd suspected. I wonder if more convenient WiFi connectivity will come some time soon ? If someone has the bought the software and a Wifi update came around, is it likely a free download would be available. ?

Last edited by BarryE; 10-06-2018 at 02:15 PM.
10-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I wonder if more convenient WiFi connectivity will come some time soon ?
If someone has the bought the software and a Wifi update came around, is it likely a free download would be available. ?
How many additional WiFi options do you need for the K-1 ?
And which software are you talking about buying?
10-07-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
How many additional WiFi options do you need for the K-1 ?
And which software are you talking about buying?
I was referring to Adam's post and Pentax Image Transmitter 2. I'm trying to work out a more convenient method of viewing 'studio' images rather than the following (below) I use. Tethering is the obvious next step, and WiFi connectivity between camera and laptop to view the images taken would be more convenient. I would then network share them from laptop to workstation to process them later. My guess is just 'viewing' them, might quickly change to viewing and basic adjustments to see potential.

Camera on tripod. Multiple lights on small to macro subjects. Small usb stub in camera's USB socket. Take series of shots with Pixel Shift. Plug in a long cable from usb stub to workstation or maybe laptop, download and view in batches.

Per shot viewing, and perhaps limited adjustments, via WiFi would be more convenient than trailing USB cable(s) and batch viewing.
10-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Per shot viewing, and perhaps limited adjustments, via WiFi would be more convenient than trailing USB cable(s) and batch viewing.
So why you're not using Andre K's Pentax WiFi Commander for Windows?
PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well - PentaxForums.com

10-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
So why you're not using Andre K's Pentax WiFi Commander for Windows?
PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well - PentaxForums.com
Coz I did not know about it

I see there are several options to look at.

Many thanks
10-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Do you want the tethering to view the image before you take it on the screen or just view it once you've photographed it?

If the latter, then you can use LR, for free if you download it.

However the biggest issue I have encountered using LR tethering is speed of file transfer. Pentax K1 is USB 2, not super fast. I'd guess that wifi would not be faster?

I have tethered my K1 via LR to both my laptop and my iMac, the laptop normally works better than the desktop computer for some unknown reason.
10-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Do you want the tethering to view the image before you take it on the screen or just view it once you've photographed it?

If the latter, then you can use LR, for free if you download it.

However the biggest issue I have encountered using LR tethering is speed of file transfer. Pentax K1 is USB 2, not super fast. I'd guess that wifi would not be faster?

I have tethered my K1 via LR to both my laptop and my iMac, the laptop normally works better than the desktop computer for some unknown reason.
Hi, many thanks.

I think I'd prefer to see the image first, but post capture would be better than I have now. I don't use LR, but I suppose I could install it for just this purpose and then switch back to ACR/Photoshop. I'll continue to dig around (it's only an investigation/idea at this stage). The USB2 route would likely be a problem as I use Pixel Shift and the waiting around would be frustrating. Still, I knew this was a weak area for Pentax, so I'm not surprised those no clear/usable/professional answer. So be it, I'll live with that ...
10-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Hi, many thanks.

I think I'd prefer to see the image first, but post capture would be better than I have now. I don't use LR, but I suppose I could install it for just this purpose and then switch back to ACR/Photoshop. I'll continue to dig around (it's only an investigation/idea at this stage). The USB2 route would likely be a problem as I use Pixel Shift and the waiting around would be frustrating. Still, I knew this was a weak area for Pentax, so I'm not surprised those no clear/usable/professional answer. So be it, I'll live with that ...
For tethering you want Lightroom Classic CC, not the other versions. You need to download the plug in. I don't think it will really affect your workflow, you will just have the RAWs on your hard-drive which you can then import as per usual, though you could import into PS via LR.

I wouldn't say that tethering via LR is unusable or even unprofessional, I've done shoots with clients watching the results in real time. The only criticism is that it is a little slow, and for me its performance seems to vary between computers. The big question is what is your frame-rate. If it's not high, then the performance is even better.

One smart work-around would be to shoot RAW + and import the JPGs to the computer and leave the RAWs on the SD Card. Apparently there is a plug in for LR that allows you to do this called OttomanicImporter, but it's quite old and I'm not sure if it works with Pentax.
10-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
For tethering you want Lightroom Classic CC, not the other versions. You need to download the plug in. I don't think it will really affect your workflow, you will just have the RAWs on your hard-drive which you can then import as per usual, though you could import into PS via LR.

I wouldn't say that tethering via LR is unusable or even unprofessional, I've done shoots with clients watching the results in real time. The only criticism is that it is a little slow, and for me its performance seems to vary between computers. The big question is what is your frame-rate. If it's not high, then the performance is even better.

One smart work-around would be to shoot RAW + and import the JPGs to the computer and leave the RAWs on the SD Card. Apparently there is a plug in for LR that allows you to do this called OttomanicImporter, but it's quite old and I'm not sure if it works with Pentax.
Big help, many thanks ...
10-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was referring to Adam's post and Pentax Image Transmitter 2. I'm trying to work out a more convenient method of viewing 'studio' images rather than the following (below) I use. Tethering is the obvious next step, and WiFi connectivity between camera and laptop to view the images taken would be more convenient. I would then network share them from laptop to workstation to process them later. My guess is just 'viewing' them, might quickly change to viewing and basic adjustments to see potential.

Camera on tripod. Multiple lights on small to macro subjects. Small usb stub in camera's USB socket. Take series of shots with Pixel Shift. Plug in a long cable from usb stub to workstation or maybe laptop, download and view in batches.

WiFi connectivity would indeed be really convenient but I think it's too slow, especially for pixelshift images. Even jpegs would come it sluggish. Also, I don't think it would be possible to connect the computer to both the camera WiFi and a second network for sharing the files at the same time.

In studio I don't mind the usb cable because I have the camera plugged in for power anyways. I find fast transfer speeds more beneficial than wireless. I haven't seen a solution that can do both.

For sharing or viewing your shots on the fly, there is a feature in Capture One called "Capture Pilot". A tablet (or other computer I believe) can connect via WiFi to the capturing computer and see all the images for viewing and rating. So clients can see and select in real time while you are working the shot.

I haven't tried Lightroom. I use IT2 with either DCU or Capture One depending on the project (and my mood). IT2 + DCU is the winner in terms of speed which I enjoy a lot. If you do adjustments during your session, Capture One is the winner – it just takes a few seconds more to get the image in.
12-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to report back. The Pentax supplied LR snap-in, albeit via USB, works well for me with my Bridge/ACR/Photoshop workflow.

I've connected, via USB, to LR on an old laptop. I can now take a shot via a wireless remote and leave LR to import both card's data, which is then simultaneously seen by Bridge. So LR is transparent to me. I can just shoot away with the wireless remote and when I want to check an image I just look at Bridge/ACR which is my usual workflow. I can see the images at full screen size this way. I don't need to go anywhere near LR, apart from the initial tethering.

The images are not removed from the cards either, as Ricoh say they will be. I hope they don't change this. At the end of the session I can then download, from the cards, to my desktop and proceed as usual.

It does seem to drain the battery quickly. This is the only downside I've found so far.

All for free. Nice ...
12-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

AFAIK there is no usable wifi data transfer option - because the wifi is so slow.

It would not be a huge issue if the camera could be wirelessly charged by putting it on a charging base while it sits there half the night transferring photos to a folder on the PC; this is what my phone does every day at 3am, except that its wifi is about 10x faster than the K1's...

The USB tethering (mentioning Lightroom in that table) does work but the micro-USB connector is not suitable for throwing the cable around. It will just break the connector off the PCB inside the camera. This - a broken micro-USB connector - is a major reason why many tablets end up in the dustbin. The K1 costs rather more...

In this age there ought to be much better ways...