Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
It's cheaper than ever, last week it was on sale for $1149. It's like $250 cheaper than when I got mine
I have spent way too much this year on camera gear. Heck already signed up for a Nightscape Conference in Moab in May. I am trying to not spend more unless the deal is too good. Right now the only thing I can think that will get me to spend some more money would be a crazy cheap deal on the 15-30.

I really should just wait until next year. I really should. Really!

I will have to see if I can hold out.

11-14-2018, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very intresting topic !

I usually shoot @ 24mm (With the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8) ISO 800 F/2.8 90s exposure with astrotracer for the stars, 1600Iso 30s exposure and pixelshift for the foreground.

For the stiching AutoPano it's the best software :

43 pictures for this MilkyWay panorama
11-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
I usually shoot @ 24mm (With the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8) ISO 800 F/2.8 90s exposure with astrotracer for the stars, 1600Iso 30s exposure and pixelshift for the foreground.
Your results are good, so I'm not questioning that, but I am curious about using pixelshift in very low light. How closely have you compared pixelshift to regular shots?

For example, your 1600 ISO, 30 second setting takes 2 minutes with pixelshift. With a regular shot, that's roughly equivalent to 400 ISO 2 minutes. My early non-scientific tests after getting my K-1 led me to conclude that, for the same total exposure time, pixelshift was no better than lower ISO in very low light.
11-14-2018, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I have spent way too much this year on camera gear. Heck already signed up for a Nightscape Conference in Moab in May. I am trying to not spend more unless the deal is too good. Right now the only thing I can think that will get me to spend some more money would be a crazy cheap deal on the 15-30.

I really should just wait until next year. I really should. Really!

I will have to see if I can hold out.
You can get samyang 14 2.8, it's like $200 used and very good for astro.

But I get the spending part) I'm in the same boat

---------- Post added 11-14-18 at 11:05 AM ----------

for reference, stacking for me personally works better than astrotracer. Sequator is very easy to use, and gives a very clean result. the only issue is masking out the foreground that I shoot separately, but astrotracer is the same (it smudges the foreground).

Milky Way over the old fort
by Timur Dzhambinov, on Flickr

11-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Astrophotography can be hazardous on the wallet.

I just bought a 300/2.8 (Tamron 60B Adaptall 2) lens from another member on the marketplace.

Now I see a great sale price on a new Samyang/Rokinon 24/1.4. I might try that lens again. I bought a new one previously, returned it for an obvious optical problem, didn't exchange it because the dealer incorrectly claimed they all work like that.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 11-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.
11-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Astrophotography can be hazardous on the wallet.

I just bought a 300/2.8 (Tamron 60B Adaptall 2) lens from another member on the marketplace.

Now I see a great sale price on a new Samyang/Rokinon 24/1.4. I might try that lens again. I bought a new one previously, returned it for an obvious optical problem, didn't exchange it because the dealer incorrectly claimed they all work like that.
I saw the sale, almost bought it.. But thankfully I remembered that I invested a ton of money into the 15-30, so I'm sticking with that lol
11-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 11-14-18 at 11:05 AM ----------

for reference, stacking for me personally works better than astrotracer. Sequator is very easy to use, and gives a very clean result. the only issue is masking out the foreground that I shoot separately, but astrotracer is the same (it smudges the foreground).

Milky Way over the old fort
by Timur Dzhambinov, on Flickr
Oh I have the Rokinon already. I have had it for 4 years. Bought it for my K-5 when I got interested in Photography and nightscapes. Or in another terms, got hooked on my addiction.

Sadly with my upgrade to FF, I found that it is decentered. Not horribly but definitely has more star streaking on the right side. Even at 15 seconds. I still love it, but plan on using that lens as my primary Timelapse lens. So I want another lens for my single images. Plus a great landscape lens as well. The 15-30 meets need. Plus the 28-105 I think I have some great landscape lenses.

Eventually I know I will purchase more lenses for nightscape. The Irix 15mm, maybe one of the 1.4 lenses.

This next season, I am planning on stepping up my game. I dabbled in stacking and Astro Tracer but my PS skills with blending images needs improvement. Something I will be working on over the next few months.

11-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Oh I have the Rokinon already. I have had it for 4 years. Bought it for my K-5 when I got interested in Photography and nightscapes. Or in another terms, got hooked on my addiction.

Sadly with my upgrade to FF, I found that it is decentered. Not horribly but definitely has more star streaking on the right side. Even at 15 seconds. I still love it, but plan on using that lens as my primary Timelapse lens. So I want another lens for my single images. Plus a great landscape lens as well. The 15-30 meets need. Plus the 28-105 I think I have some great landscape lenses.

Eventually I know I will purchase more lenses for nightscape. The Irix 15mm, maybe one of the 1.4 lenses.

This next season, I am planning on stepping up my game. I dabbled in stacking and Astro Tracer but my PS skills with blending images needs improvement. Something I will be working on over the next few months.
Not to scare you off the purchase, but this one is my third copy of the lens, previous ones had decentering. QC is not only samyangs issue, seems everyone have them these days. Although, since 15-30 is Tamron made, I think it's less of an issue for Pentax bred lenses.
11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Your results are good, so I'm not questioning that, but I am curious about using pixelshift in very low light. How closely have you compared pixelshift to regular shots?

For example, your 1600 ISO, 30 second setting takes 2 minutes with pixelshift. With a regular shot, that's roughly equivalent to 400 ISO 2 minutes. My early non-scientific tests after getting my K-1 led me to conclude that, for the same total exposure time, pixelshift was no better than lower ISO in very low light.
Thats a good question, i didn't compare.
But before i use the Pentax 24-70mm, i used the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 () and you can see the result was pretty good :

This lense was really good but not made for FF
The 24-70mm is really good for landscape, but i'm looking for a wider and luminous lens (Irix 15mm, there is no sigma under 35mm for FF, Pentax 31mm or a new Pentax UWA ?)