Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$7.81 Vertical Grip For Pentax K-1 Cameras

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I don't shoot many vertical (portrait) oriented photos, most of mine are horizontal format. So, I'm not one to have a heavy/bulky battery grip attached to my K-1 camera full time.

However, for those rare occasions when I do shoot vertical format, I've found a $7.81, Chinese, hot shoe "thumb rest" that provides the extra needed support. On my K-1 it does not block any of the controls/button/displays.

I'd tried other thumb rests on my K-1, but they didn't work because they had straight shafts. This one has a bent shaft which is needed to compensate for the hump on the top of the K-1 camera.

When I first started using it, I found that the bare metal surface on the end of the rest was uncomfortable on my thumb. So, I attached a nose pad that I use on my glasses. That made it much better. You can buy these nose pads at your local optomitrist or department store or drug store.

I find that I like this padded hot shoe thumb rest so much, that I'm keeping my right thumb on it even when taking horizontal photos.

Mine took 3 weeks to arrive. So if you order one be patient. I'm sure that there are many others on Ebay who also sell this type of hot shoe thumb grip if you choose not to order this particular one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-14-2018 at 02:13 PM.
11-14-2018, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Honestly, it looks good but I'm unsure of putting all that weight/torque on the hot shoe.
11-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Honestly, it looks good but I'm unsure of putting all that weight/torque on the hot shoe.

Good point.

I did a bit of Googling on this subject and here's some comments I found:

As for damage from physical cantilevering, the thumb rest puts a lot less force on the hot shoe mount than a heavy flash would.

I have one of the so called "cheapies" made by Fotodiox. Is is well finished and well made. It had a little play which I took out by taping a piece of Dymo label tape to the bottom of the shoe insert. Fits well and slides out easy. No damage to the hot shoe whatsoever.

Google and you'll find a few examples of detached hot shoes on Fuji's due to a thumb rest.

I just had my X Pro 1 into Fuji Repair for a loose hot shoe. I'm sure it was from the thumb rest. They replace the entire top plate for this repair, so it's not cheap.

Used a hot shoe thumb rest for more than 2 years. no problem at all and love it.

As soon as I was aware of the existence of a hot shoe based thumb grip, I dismissed the idea of using one. The anchor points on a shoe are tiny relative to leverage put on by a thumb extension. That isn't to say a thumb grip will break the camera, but it may, and in beefier hands it probably would. A camera dropped onto the grip almost certainly will loosen or detach the hot shoe. Small amounts of leverage over a long period wear the threads of whatever it is anchoring the contact to the body.

My camera has survived for years with a thumb rest attached. I don't have any concerns about using one. The significant improvement in ergonomics is worth the risk. Mind you, I only use primes...swinging it around with the bigger zooms on might do some damage..

I find myself agreeing with the last poster. In the future, I'll use my thumb rest with only my lighter lenses, not with my heavier lenses.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-14-2018 at 02:46 PM.
11-15-2018, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
does not make sense when the hot shoe is blocked

11-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
dont get pissed but it is a piece of cheap charlie rubbish that you fell for, waste of money, ian