Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Spot metering doesn't work?

Live view highlight alert is a nice way to find the preffered exposure because you can see overexposure and live histogram. I tried to shoot the moon today in the dark, but couldn't change exposure the way so that the moon would not blink red at all. This is because EV metering bar was showing -5 all the time. I assume this was because of metering mode so that the camera tried to find good exposure for the darkness rather than the moon. Spot metering mode didn't do much. Spot metering should happen on the middle, but did nothing. Strange thing is that placing the moon to the bottom made everything except the moon darker in the LV, but metering was still showing -5 and I had to shoot an retry to find out exposure which doesn't overexposure the moon. I'm shooting RAW and using UniWB, so that highlight alert itself should be quite accurate. Also metering mode button did nothing when I pressed it in LV. Had to change the mode from the menu and it does show spot metering icon on the screen, but doesn't seem to work properly.

Is there any dark mode for the live view which use brighter exposure for the screen so you can see something, but use set exposure for actual photo? I usually just increase ISO a lot for composition and then set it back when done, but it takes time and is annoying. Could probably set high ISO for user mode, but they are already used for other things.

11-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I’m not actually answering your question, but shoot the moon using the Sunny 16 rule. It’s a bright face in direct sun.
11-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
Sunny 16 rule
You mean loony 11 rule.

I was shooting the moon the other night using this rule, the 1/2 moon came out approx a stop under, I think the rule applies to full moon.
My problem on my K3 was that I was trying to focus in Live view with magnification, but the moon was washed out with no detail to focus on. And when I switched to spot metering to fix that, I got a mesage "this feature is not available in this mode" when I tried to magnify.
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Unregistered User

I've noticed that, under certain conditions, the EV meter doesn't change, and it appears to depend on certain combinations of settings. I have yet to figure it out.

11-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which Camera? and Which lens? What Mode were you using on the camera?
I use the spot metering all the time on my K-01, K-5iis (as that is the only way to get the moon correctly exposed at night) and never had issues with it. The lens could be severely de-centered which may cause this problem as the circle of the moon does not fall on teh metering sensor at all but sideways away from the metering sensor.
Also in live view the LCD keeps blinking the moon bright and Red for over exposure but that is just live. The picture comes out perfect when spot metering the moon.