Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2018, 11:52 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's The "Little Things" I've Come To LOVE About My K-1 Camera

I've always shot a variety of camera systems - still do. My current favorite full-frame camera is the Pentax K-1 camera!

I've owned K-1's since they first came out. Holding my K-1 just a few minutes ago after shooting another system all day yesterday, I came to realize that there are many features about the K-1 that I like so much better than Brand X.

For example:

1. The K-1s' grip on the front, and the little body indent on the back for my right thumb feel great. They fit my hand like a glove. While Brand X has an uncomfortable/shallow grip in the front, and a tiny right thumb indent that must have been an after thought (it's so bad that I had to put an aftermarket thumb grip on its' hot-shoe).

2. The LCD screen on the back of the K-1 is held in place by a super strong suspension. I hate to admit this, but on occasion, I've actually held my K-1 one-handed by the LCD screen. Other camera makers' movable LCD screens' supports are so flimsy that I only move their screens when absolutely necessary for fear that I'll break them off.

I could go on about other K-1 features that I love, but let's hear from you. What are one or two K-1 features that you are crazy about, and are better than other cameras you've owned?

12-15-2018, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great list , Fenwoodian! Here's mine:

1. The third control dial. I generally have this on ISO and it makes M mode so much better.

2. Tilty-stilt-leg screen so I can angle the display in any direction for down-low, up-high, landscape, and portrait oriented shots.

3. The little body lights -- very handy for night photography.

4.....N: IBIS, TAv mode, green button, horizon leveling, PS, astrotracer, interval composite, GPS, etc. etc. The K-1 is chock-fll of nice features that most Pentax cameras have and few competitors can match.
12-15-2018, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I have not owned other brands FF DSLRs, I have held some (and used other APS-C DSLRs), so what come to mind for me:
1. The grip - can't agree more - and a great control layout
2. Hyper Program mode. Brand X is now doing something similar but with Pentax I think its better as I can set the camera up exactly as you want and I now only really need to switch between P, M and B modes (really wish they were beside each other though).
12-15-2018, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Electronic shutter is very handy, the screen articulation is very nice. I'm constantly amazed by the low light performance. Pixelshift, especially handheld. In the right conditions it gives another couple stops of low light performance.

12-15-2018, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The viewfinder.

The viewfinder.
12-15-2018, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Third control wheel

The viewfinder
12-15-2018, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #7
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Grip, viewfinder, dials, menu system, button layout, pixelshift, DFA*50, horizon level, SR, water resistance (even salt water when hanging it out of a speed boat - the good grip comes in handy in that situation), screen suspension and so on. I use and enjoy them all.

It's all these details.

Attached Images

Last edited by sbh; 12-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.
12-15-2018, 09:30 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What are one or two K-1 features that you are crazy about, and are better than other cameras you've owned?
I like the features you have mentioned. In addition, I love the dynamic range of the camera. It saves me bracketing and post processing time. The feature that I had never tried is the in-camera HDR. I used that capability on a recent client shoot for the first time. I usually set up strobes which is very difficult in crammed broadcast video trucks. I ended up using the HDR and I am blown away by how good the images look and how much time I saved in not setting up my lighting system. I utilized the overhead LED lights to light the scene. The equipment provided their own lights from switches and buttons. I ended up experimenting on the fly with various HDR settings. Very intuitive and easy to learn and implement.

Last edited by btnapa; 12-16-2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Add text
12-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just used my old K01 for the weekend and SOOOOO missed the digital preview the K1 has (Macro work in Manual mode).
12-16-2018, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The size, the grip and the tilt screen. I was skeptical about the tilt screen, but now find it so practical, and more solid that any other camera. The grip is so good that Panasonic are almost copying it for their new S1 and S1R (but the K1 grip is still more elaborated). The smart dial of the K1 with the tiny display beside, still love and hate. The old display of the K3 and K5 displayed all the info that allow to switch off the back LCD, on the K1 it's not so much the case anymore. Design fault was the tiny little button on top of the 4 ways controller: not enough space, button is too small, I hope they correct that on the next design. But, if my K1 broke, I'd still get another K1 to replace it, simply still the best "bang for the bucks" for shooting stills.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-16-2018 at 03:02 AM.
12-16-2018, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Like all of you, there is a great number of things to like about the K1.

In fact, it's hard to think of anything I don't like.

Although I also have a K50 and K3, they don't get much use anymore.

With the exception of fast frame rate for shooting sports with the K3, I almost always have the K1 with me.
12-16-2018, 07:30 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Love the ergonomics of Pentax cameras (their experimental designs like the K-01 excluded) and the combination of an optical viewfinder with in-body image stabilisation is unique in the market.

Inappropriate viewfinder brightness levels, off-putting viewfinder white balance issues, stuttering, slowing down, resolution-loss or freezing of the viewfinder, banding and/or striping in images due to PDAF, etc. are all consequences of mirrorless designs that are not often discussed or downplayed by the press. A mirrorless camera can be a great companion for certain applications with a limited number of lenses, but there are also applications where a DSLR is still the best design despite the commonly applied "dinosaur technology" stigma (usually by people that have something to gain when new products are sold).

P.S.: Did anyone else notice how in the past in-body image stabilisation was often either not mentioned or described as being inferior to lens-based stabilisation, while now that mirrorless designs adopted it, it is a stand-out feature and the Canon EOS R is criticised for not featuring it? When was any other camera in the past criticised for not featuring in-body image stabilisation?
12-16-2018, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Did anyone else notice how in the past in-body image stabilisation was often either not mentioned or described as being inferior to lens-based stabilisation, while now that mirrorless designs adopted it, it is a stand-out feature and the Canon EOS R is criticised for not featuring it? When was any other camera in the past criticised for not featuring in-body image stabilisation?
Now that you mention it, you're right. Wonderful observation!

Just goes to show that "following the herd" is not always the best thing to do when it comes to photography gear.
12-30-2018, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a bit boring as they've been around since the Z-1 - the Hyper modes, but particularly being able to use exposure lock in manual mode - set your exposure in manual, hit exposure lock, then spinning either dial retains the manually set EV value but shifts aperture/shutter speed together like in HyperProgram, simply brilliant. Pressing the green button takes you back to the program line - giving you access to all exposure modes from manual.

The real benefit though is that the user interface is pretty much the same for my Z-1, K-5, K-1 & 645D.
12-31-2018, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

The only thing I do not love about my K-1 is that it's on the other side of the room and not in my right hand at this time.