Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
L Bracket for K1 II

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone bought a L bracket for the K1, for placement on a tripod?
I am going up to the Snowy Mountains NSW, Australia at the end of the month for some landscape photography.
I would like a L bracket before I go.

01-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Following.... I have manfrotto tripod heads and I can’t see pulling the trigger on the Q2 L-bracket.
01-13-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

3 Legged Thing make a bracket that fits the K1. Arca plate fitting. Two versions for gripped and non gripped cameras 3 Legged Thing - British Innovative Tripod Systems
01-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
3 Legged Thing make a bracket that fits the K1. Arca plate fitting. Two versions for gripped and non gripped cameras 3 Legged Thing - British Innovative Tripod Systems
Thanks pschlute. I have seen online the 3 Legged QR plate, QR11-FB, QR11 Standard and QR11 Full body online here in Australia.

01-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are two custom ones that I know of...Previously for the K5, I went with the Kirk and was very happy with its fit and performance. For my K1, I looked at pictures of both on the vendor's websites. To me it appeared that the Kirk did not have the close fit I wanted, and the RRS did. I went with the RRS a little over a year ago. It has a great close custom fit, and has not come off the body even once so far.

01-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There are two custom ones that I know of...Previously for the K5, I went with the Kirk and was very happy with its fit and performance. For my K1, I looked at pictures of both on the vendor's websites. To me it appeared that the Kirk did not have the close fit I wanted, and the RRS did. I went with the RRS a little over a year ago. It has a great close custom fit, and has not come off the body even once so far.

Thanks I.O. The Kirk looks like it won't fit on my tripod head (Manfrotto 804 RC2, which has a quick release "clip".
01-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
Thanks pschlute. I have seen online the 3 Legged QR plate, QR11-FB, QR11 Standard and QR11 Full body online here in Australia.
I use the standard plate (not gripped) and it works just fine with the K1. It also comes with a neat tool for tightening the screw, that has a bottle opener included.

01-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks I.O. The Kirk looks like it won't fit on my tripod head (Manfrotto 804 RC2, which has a quick release "clip".
I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head with an RC4 clamp/plate (found it on craigslist very cheap). I found an arca swiss clamp that the RC4 plate screwed into, so that I could have everything I have AS comparable.

Someone else asked me about this on another site, and I just remembered I have a picture..
Attached Images

01-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have something like I have listed below (shortcut) on all of my Pentax bodies. It covers the battery compartment a little bit when I am using it, but if I have to access the battery compartment all I have to do is loosen it slightly and move it, exchange the battery for a charged one, and put the L plate back in place. It is not difficult. The base is padded also, and it uses a D ring to tighten and loosen itself. It is a standard, all metal except for padding, plate. Shortcut is listed below.

https://www.amazon.com/TARION-Release-Manfrotto-Arca-Swiss-Standard/dp/B06Y2...ywords=l+plate
01-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have seen the 3legged thing L-plate at Digital Camera Warehouse , and at a good price.

I have an older Sunwayfoto universal L-plate that fits K-5 and K-7 body only, It doesn't stop the battery door on the bottom from openning, but does get in the way of the plug ins on the side. I have always had battery grips on my Pentax bodys, so have the Mestos custom l-plates on them so as I can change batterys in the grips . With my K-1 with Battery grip, I actually modded a Promedia bracket to fit, and it's great. Most of the time I just have the base plate on only, but when I know I'm heading out to do certain shots, I simply attach the l-bracket part, and I can do portrait shots.

See Here. K-1 L-Bracket... My solution - PentaxForums.com

cmohr
01-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have something like I have listed below (shortcut) on all of my Pentax bodies. It covers the battery compartment a little bit when I am using it, but if I have to access the battery compartment all I have to do is loosen it slightly and move it, exchange the battery for a charged one, and put the L plate back in place.[/url]
I bought a 'universal' L-bracket from B&H that looks identical to this one, and it's what I use too on my K-1 (and whatever I'm rocking as my backup body).

As C_Jones mentioned, it covers the battery door. I didn't like this and went for some weekend modification. Being from Texas, my natural intention was to just simply shoot the offending parts off. Unable to decide on the proper gun or bullet caliber, I opted for the dremel tool and metal file instead.

Edit: I also agree with Interested_Observer... see if you can stomach the migration over to Arca Swiss for your tripods. It makes life a zillion times easier. I too have swapped clamps on Manfrotto heads, but everything else is native Arca for me and it streamlines compatibility of everything. End edit/resume normal.

This is what it looks compared to an un-modified one, and what it looks like on the camera body.

01-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Sorry, Missed that you have the Manfrotto . Digidirect have this ..

Manfrotto MS050M4-Q2 L Bracket With Q2 Quick Release Plate 719821338536 | eBay
01-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I bought a 'universal' L-bracket from B&H that looks identical to this one, and it's what I use too on my K-1 (and whatever I'm rocking as my backup body).

As C_Jones mentioned, it covers the battery door. I didn't like this and went for some weekend modification. Being from Texas, my natural intention was to just simply shoot the offending parts off. Unable to decide on the proper gun or bullet caliber, I opted for the dremel tool and metal file instead.

Edit: I also agree with Interested_Observer... see if you can stomach the migration over to Arca Swiss for your tripods. It makes life a zillion times easier. I too have swapped clamps on Manfrotto heads, but everything else is native Arca for me and it streamlines compatibility of everything. End edit/resume normal.

This is what it looks compared to an un-modified one, and what it looks like on the camera body

Thanks for you helpful hint. I was contemplating using a firearm to modify mine but it is illegal discharge them in the suburbs for some strange reason. I was falling back on using my anvil and hammer to pound the piece into submission when I came across you timely post.

Birchwood Casey sells something called Aluminum "Black" that you could finish the bare metal with. Won't quite match, but it will look a lot better.
01-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

As I said, all you have to do is unscrew the L-Plate a little bit, slide it over slightly, and the battery door is accessible. It is very simple.
01-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Has anyone bought a L bracket for the K1, for placement on a tripod? I would like a L bracket before I go.
L-plates for the K-1 without battery grips are available.

Check the forum, there are already 9 other related threads:
K-1 L-Bracket... My solution
pentax k-1 with grip and L bracket
K1 Battery Grip
Arca-Swiss Plate for the K-1?
L Bracket, Grip and mounting stuff for K1
Universal Bracket for the K-1: Success!
What QR plate are you using with the K1?
RRS L-plate for K-1
Kirk plate for K-1