Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What you should know about the K1 II vs K1

I have a Pentax K1, and after receiving the Pentax K1 Mk II yesterday, I checked that the K1 II body worked properly and also tried shooting some bursts with the K1 mk II.
There is something that owners of Pentax K1 should know about the K1 mk II that was not described anywhere. It's the effect of the accelerator chip on the burst mode.

Someone posted a new thread about the Pentax K1 II time lag he observed at ISO12800 [ Lars Bruzelius / K-1 Mark II processing times ].

Initially, I did not pick up this time lag, there was no time lag on the K1, regardless of the ISO setting. But then I have enable the image preview on the K1 II, and I could observe that Lars was right, there is a time lag on the K1 II when increasing ISO.

But that's not all. As I shoot bursts with the K1 II, over a all in focus scene, I notice the number of shots I could get at most 10 RAW files because the buffer was full, slightly less than the K1 (the K1 gave me 11 to 13 FF RAWs before the buffer was full). But then I dropped the ISO and shot a new burst underexposed, the K1 II did not stop shooting, I stopped to check how many frames were captured: I read 124 frame in the folder.

Then I shot bursts in different situations. I shot a burst with half frame foreground in focus and other half frame out of focus, the K1 II shot 20 raw frames before the buffer was full.

So, what happens (the way I understand it):
- On the K1, the image sensor data move directly to the buffer memory, than the JPEG are processed by the main processor. The number of FF shots that can be stored in the buffer is fixed, doesn't depend on the content of the raw data.

- On the K1 II, the accelerator chip processes the RAW data from the image sensor before the data reach the buffer. The result is if the image contain less amount of information (for instance, shooting a central subject with a long lense that produces a lot of bokeh background), in such way that the buffer can store a longer burst.

01-18-2019, 02:38 AM   #2

Any observed maximum for the processing time on the mark II ?
01-18-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
Any observed maximum for the processing time on the mark II ?
At ISO12800, the lag is only after the shots, and it is around 1 sec. at ISO6400, 2 seconds at ISO12800 and about 3 seconds at ISOs higher than 12800, but it doesn't affect burst rate, there is no wait time to shoot additional frames.
01-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

This is interesting. I still haven't decided whether to go through with the scheduled upgrade.

01-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #5

Does turning off instant preview make any difference?
01-19-2019, 04:26 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it also occur with or without lens correction and highlight correction? I have so far had zero lag in my image recording and instant review with non-Pentax lenses.
01-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Does it also occur with or without lens correction and highlight correction? I have so far had zero lag in my image recording and instant review with non-Pentax lenses.
After a Reset, both "Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj" and "Diffraction Correction" are set to on, but disabling them make no noticable difference to the processing time. Likewise, "Highlight Correction" was set to Auto, but if disabling it makes a difference it falls within the margin of error.

Lars Bruzelius

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 07:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At ISO12800, the lag is only after the shots, and it is around 1 sec. at ISO6400, 2 seconds at ISO12800 and about 3 seconds at ISOs higher than 12800, but it doesn't affect burst rate, there is no wait time to shoot additional frames.
This is about half the processing times that I have found. I.e. at ISO200 there is a one second delay, at 3200 this has increased to 2 s and at 12800 the 4 s originally reported.

The difference between mine and "biz-engineer"s figures could be explained by a difference in methodology.

In my case the test image [Windows 10 Stopwatch] was a 14" computer screen [1920x1080] with one line of large black text on a white background. This background is not a uniform white, but pixelated when enarged. How this affects the processing time is more than I can guess, todays noise supression algorithms are probably different from what we used 50 years ago.

For the test I disabled Lens Corrections, Highlight Correction and Instant Review. After a picture of the test screen I waited until the Status Screen reappeared and the took another picture. From the recorded times my reaction time [0,1 s] should be deducted. Any difference in processing time between raw or JPG images falls within the margin of error.

Lars Bruzelius

01-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Lars. Quite informative.

01-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The delay at high ISO appears even when all JPEG options are disabled, I believe the delay comes from noise processing by the accelerator chip. But readers here should well understand that the delay happens between after the exposure is finished and when the SD card is written.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does turning off instant preview make any difference?
If you turn off the preview, you can't really see the delay unless you are very fast to press the review button very fast. Again, the delay happens after a shot and doesn't impact burst rate, so it's a not an issue when using the camera.