Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash compatibility with K-1

As far as I can see, there isn’t a definitive resource listing the current and past P-TTL flashguns that are fully or partially compatible with the K-1. I think such a list would be valuable for members and those externally seeking information on this topic.

According to the user’s manual, on page 111, the manual only mentions the Pentax AF series flashes as being compatible with the K-1. It would be great to have a list of third party flashguns with their functionality listed for people to discern which flashguns would be suitable on the K-1.

Please add your experience with the range of P-TTL flashes available, past and present, no matter the brand: Metz, Sigma and the like.

Here is the working list thus far:
1. Sigma EF-500 DG Super. Works without pre-flash, dialling Flash Exposure Compensation down to -2.0 EV.

2. Metz mecablitz with the latest firmware:
Metz 44 AF-1 / 48 AF-1 / 50 AF-1 / 52 AF-1 / 58 AF-1 / 58 AF-2 / 64 AF-1. All work without AF beam, HSS and master/controller in wireless flash features.

3. Godox Mini Camera Flash TT350P

4. Yongnuo YN-585EX. Works without AF assist beam and HSS.

Last edited by Ash; 02-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.
02-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll start with the Sigma EF-500 DG Super.

This is a versatile flashgun with a couple of nifty features beyond the standard, such as multi-strobe. But in TTL mode it consistently over-exposes, whether axial to bounce flash. It hasn't provided me with pre-flash on the K-1 as it normally does with Pentax predecessor APS-C cameras, so it is my understanding that the flash is working in a TTL (not E-TTL) mode. Not sure how this is since current Pentax flashes are obligate P-TTL auto flashes (without A or TTL settings) and the K-1 was produced with this in mind.

The flash exposure compensation reading I have found that gives consistently good exposures is set at -2.0 EV. Then it seems to expose the scene appropriately, even when changing settings off the exposure triangle on the camera.

Overall, this flashgun is deemed partially compatible.
02-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

E-TTL is Canons automatic digital flash protocol (E for Evaluative, the name for the metering system). The Pentax version is P for "Program" , so "Program TTL", referring to the programmed metering algorithms.

I doubt the more recent Sigma models do film era TTL. There does seem to be a question mark over the accuracy of the Sigma Super on the K1 ... Hopefully we'll get some more user reports. But really, these days, if there is a market amongst K1 users for a really budget on camera flash then Yongnuo and Shanny have probably taken over that space now.

02-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
P-TTL flashguns that are fully or partially compatible with the K-1
I think the issue is not so much P-TTL per se, but which flashes simply have features that work (or not) with the K-1. For example, many a Pentax flash has problems getting their AF assist light (or zoom head) to work from camera model to camera model. Such capabilities may not be part of the P-TTL protocol directly.

FWIW, I can say that the Metz 52-AF1 works fine on the K-1 for all the features except AF assist light, ditto for the Yongnuo YN-585EX. My Pentax flashes (AF-201FG and AF-160FC) work no problems on K-1 as far as I can tell, but they lack problematic features like an AF assist light or zoom head.

There are so many feature-rich flashes out there (and flash accessories, like Cactus or Godox triggers) that putting together a 'K-1 compatible' table of flashes won't be easy.

And yes, E-TTL is a Canon protocol, i-TTL is Nikon's digital TTL flash protocol etc.

02-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think the issue is not so much P-TTL per se, but which flashes simply have features that work (or not) with the K-1. For example, many a Pentax flash has problems getting their AF assist light (or zoom head) to work from camera model to camera model. Such capabilities may not be part of the P-TTL protocol directly.

FWIW, I can say that the Metz 52-AF1 works fine on the K-1 for all the features except AF assist light, ditto for the Yongnuo YN-585EX. My Pentax flashes (AF-201FG and AF-160FC) work no problems on K-1 as far as I can tell, but they lack problematic features like an AF assist light or zoom head.

There are so many feature-rich flashes out there (and flash accessories, like Cactus or Godox triggers) that putting together a 'K-1 compatible' table of flashes won't be easy.

And yes, E-TTL is a Canon protocol, i-TTL is Nikon's digital TTL flash protocol etc.

All good that it may be complex to put a table together of compatible flashes, but since there isn’t even a list at all it would benefit the FF community to know this prior to buying a flash or the K-1.

The Sigma 500 doesn’t say P-TTL when shooting with it, only TTL, but does have the E-TTL on its display, probably as it was a flash adopted from the Canon protocol to be implemented to the Pentax with a hotshoe adjustment. In any case, yes I realise the flash is P-TTL and works fine on the K-5, differently on the K-1.

02-05-2019, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Since you didn't restrict the flashes you want to hear about to on-camera flashes, I think the following P-TTL capable systems are worthy of a mention:

Cactus V6II trigger + Cactus RF60X:
Very quick to recycle (1.9s max. with rechargeables), lots of features (like a "delay" function, "quick flash" feature, temperature management, etc.).

Godox (Flashpoint) XPro-P trigger + AD200 (eVOLV 200) (lots of other lights available):
Very powerful, very versatile (bare-bulb + fixed zoom Fresnel head included + round head option)), single Li-Ion battery, etc.

Phottix Odin II trigger + Phottix Mitros speedlight (studio strobe options available).

The Metz 58 AF-2 works well with the K-1 but one ought to be aware that there are a few limitations (e.g., it won't work as a HSS master/controller).
It also seems since Metz went bankrupt and the Metz speedlights are managed by a new owner, there isn't much drive anymore, e.g., firmware updates.
02-05-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great! Triggers and off-camera flashes are fine to list. Whatever lights the subject on a K-1 is all good.
Shame about the Metz brand. That one had a lot of promise for Pentax cameras.
Seems both Godox and Cactus have had solid reviews. Good to see their versatility being supported on Pentax.
The K-1 could do with more options than the AF series flashguns. Keep them coming.

02-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is an older site which pre-dates the K-1 but might have some useful info The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison .

I was annoyed to discover my original Pentax AF360 is no longer compatible.
02-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Here is an older site which pre-dates the K-1 but might have some useful info The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison.

Yes, Matt’s reference has been a go-to guide for many years, but alas, he has become very busy (as I have) and he has let his guide fall by the wayside in the last 3 years. Unfortunately it no longer can guide us for what would work on the K-1, so I wanted to do something similar here, so at least people can view a list here and research the flashguns for themselves.

I’ll amend the first post to include the list of compatible flashes as they are mentioned here.

02-05-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Metz 58 AF-2 works well with the K-1 but one ought to be aware that there are a few limitations (e.g., it won't work as a HSS master/controller).
Yes, from what I gather (I haven't tried myself since I have only one P-TTL/HSS flash) there is a bug that prevents (some of?) the Metz models from acting as master/controller in FF mode. They do work with the K-1 in APS-C mode, I believe.

Apart from that, with the latest firmware all these should be compatible with the K-1:
Metz 44 AF-1 / 48 AF-1 / 50 AF-1 / 58 AF-1 / 58 AF-2

Metz says nothing about K-1 support for the 64 AF-1 in their changelog.
02-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, from what I gather (I haven't tried myself since I have only one P-TTL/HSS flash) there is a bug that prevents (some of?) the Metz models from acting as master/controller in FF mode. They do work with the K-1 in APS-C mode, I believe.

Apart from that, with the latest firmware all these should be compatible with the K-1:

Metz 44 AF-1 / 48 AF-1 / 50 AF-1 / 58 AF-1 / 58 AF-2

Metz says nothing about K-1 support for the 64 AF-1 in their changelog.

Thanks for that. Odd discrepancies these guns have between FF and APS-C modes. Nevertheless, They’re on the list.

02-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I have a Metz 64 AF-1. Works fine with my K1-2.

02-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Godox TT350P works with the K-1ii in TTL mode. Does HSS too. Relatively low-powered (and prefers Nimh batteries, BTW). Godox TT350P - PentaxForums.com
02-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My Pentax AF360FGZ works fine with my K-1 and that's no surprise as if I recall correctly it's listed in the K-1 manaul as a flash that's compatible.

I also have a Canon 430EX ll flash that I have wondered if it would work on my K series bodies..K1, K5, K10D, Km....but I've never tried them out. Probably won't, as my AF360FGZ works fine and is recommended by Pentax.

I also have my old Vivitar 285 HV and although it works great on a bunch of film cameras...I don't think I risk things by attaching it to my digital Pentax/Canon G12 hot shoe. Think the HV stands for high voltage...I figure...so why then take a chance. I think I'll just continue to use my almost 40 year old Vivitar just on film cameras. When I think of how long I've used my 285HV...geez that's great durability.

Now this hasn't anything to do with the topic at hand, but I hope the OP will forgive this breech. I use my Rogue Flashbender on my Pentax and Canon flashes and it is a wonderful accessory. Really spreads the light very well over the subject.
02-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for that. Odd discrepancies these guns have between FF and APS-C modes. Nevertheless, They’re on the list.
When they were reverse engineered, there were only APS-C Pentaxes to test with.

Obviously the genuine Pentax bodies and flashes use some signal to communicate focal length that Metz never got to see in FF mode on their oscilloscopes.