Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Picking up a used K-1 tomorrow...what should I look out for?

Greetings all, I haven't been very active the past few years on the forum, but hoping to change that.

I'm going to look at a second hand K-1 Mark II tomorrow morning. It's a leasing company that got it back off lease, and is selling it as is. The price is very good, likely worth taking a risk on.

I'm going to have an opportunity to test the camera out. Take some test shots. I currently own a K-5, so I know this is a material step up.

Appreciate some thoughts on what to look out for. As this is off lease, I'm assuming it was an early release mark II, as it only came out a year ago.

I plan on bringing a laptop so I can take a pic, and use the PF forums tool to check the shutter count.

Thanks all!

---------- Post added 02-07-19 at 04:40 PM ----------

Idea thread...to be edited

Consolidated suggestions:

- Bringing a screw mount and SDM lenses
- Bring SD card and laptop, so I can check shutter count
- Bring dust bulb/blower
- Bring a spare battery, just in case theirs is dead
- Inspect body for physical damage (drop?)
- Coupling pings on bottom of batter grip
- Covers / doors
- Lens release button springs back
- All buttons bounce back when pressed
- Turn all dials, check for grit/ease of movement/locking
- Multiple SD cards to check both slots
- Shoot in all modes
- Sensor dust check
- Check mount
- Put in Live View, SR on, confirm image is stabilizing

Last edited by WiseOx; 02-07-2019 at 10:31 PM.
02-07-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Examine the coupling pins on the bottom for the battery grip. Make sure all the covers/doors work. Make sure the lens release button springs back firmly when pressed. Check EACH dial for grit, ease of movement, and affirmative locking as appropriate.
02-07-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

power cord for the lap top

multiple sd cards to make sure each slot is working and see if each slot does raw and jpeg

check out Auto, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, B, X,

how long do you expect to have to play with it?

any possibility you could arrange to take it outside of the business and see what it can do

if you haven't already I suggest you read the user reviews and In Depth Reviews

for the K 1

Pentax K-1 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and K 1 II

Pentax K-1 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

see what return policy they offer and if they offer any warranty or if a third party warranty is available

then buy a K 3 or K 3 II instead

" that's a joke, son "

good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.
02-07-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #4

Also check for excessive sensor dust. This can be a serious issue. While a few specks here and there might be easy to clean, or deal with in post processing, a lot of particles or unremovable particles can make the purchase not worthwhile. I recently purchased a new Panasonic camera that had two pieces of unremovable dust - even a wet swab didn't work. I returned it for a replacement. Apparently, dust can become lodged between the filter and sensor so that only the manufacturer can repair it. Take two shots of a clear sky (or similar) - one at the f-stop you are most likely to use most of the time, and one stopped down to at least f/10. This will give you an idea of how dirty it is. Good luck.

02-07-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

So far mine is as indestructible as my K5 still is. Make sure the buttons work, sd cards in both sides. Look at the mount, those little ball connectors. Take a lens you know it's 0 focus adjustment to see if the body is workable. Put it in live view, sr on, is the display stabilizing.
02-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gathering up a bag of stuff to take with me tonight. Thanks for the feedback all. I'm hoping it's all good.

It's a K-1 M3, with 28-105mm kit lens for $1700 Cdn (~$1300USD) Missing box and battery charger....but still looks like a pretty great price.

Fingers crossed!
02-07-2019, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JonVdG Quote
Also check for excessive sensor dust. This can be a serious issue. While a few specks here and there might be easy to clean, or deal with in post processing, a lot of particles or unremovable particles can make the purchase not worthwhile. I recently purchased a new Panasonic camera that had two pieces of unremovable dust - even a wet swab didn't work. I returned it for a replacement. Apparently, dust can become lodged between the filter and sensor so that only the manufacturer can repair it. Take two shots of a clear sky (or similar) - one at the f-stop you are most likely to use most of the time, and one stopped down to at least f/10. This will give you an idea of how dirty it is. Good luck.
Interestingly, my K-5 was a sensor dust magnet. The K-1II not. I do wonder why that is. I don't think there's a filter over the K-1II's sensor.

02-08-2019, 01:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JonVdG Quote
More like do the second shot at f16 or f32 or whatever the smallest aperture of your lens is, that's when you really see the dust.
02-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope the OP is successful

and lets us know asap what happens today when he checks out the camera
02-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do check all the buttons work as expected. No problem with shutter mechanism and photo review? All fittings and lens mounting is seamless and expected.
02-08-2019, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got back, with my K-1 in hand. Fantastic unit. It was an original K-1, that the previous owner had upgraded to to Mark II. If you can believe it, the shutter count is only 1,399, and that's after I did ~50 test shots. I assume the shutter count resets after upgrade. Talking to the leasing company rep that sold it to me, the original owner passed away. His wife returned the camera, as it was on a lease. I think someone goofed, as this guy must have intended to keep it, if he sent it off for Mark II upgrade.

Looking forward to finally being full frame. I've been lucky enough to collect a decent pile of full frame glass over the years. First up, the three amigos, followed by the 50mm f1.2

Appreciate the guidance. Good times ahead. Look forward to being more active on the forum once again.

---------- Post added 02-08-19 at 11:52 AM ----------

Wow. I just found the gentlemen's name was still set up as the Owner in the camera setting. A quick google turned up his obituary. The picture they used for the obit write up, shows the gentlemen holding this very camera. It's found a good home Herman, RIP.
02-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats. Enjoy your K1.
02-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
Just got back, with my K-1 in hand. Fantastic unit. It was an original K-1, that the previous owner had upgraded to to Mark II. If you can believe it, the shutter count is only 1,399, and that's after I did ~50 test shots. I assume the shutter count resets after upgrade. Talking to the leasing company rep that sold it to me, the original owner passed away. His wife returned the camera, as it was on a lease. I think someone goofed, as this guy must have intended to keep it, if he sent it off for Mark II upgrade.

Looking forward to finally being full frame. I've been lucky enough to collect a decent pile of full frame glass over the years. First up, the three amigos, followed by the 50mm f1.2

Appreciate the guidance. Good times ahead. Look forward to being more active on the forum once again.

Wow. I just found the gentlemen's name was still set up as the Owner in the camera setting. A quick google turned up his obituary. The picture they used for the obit write up, shows the gentlemen holding this very camera. It's found a good home Herman, RIP.

Congrats on the camera, which has a bittersweet history to it. May it give you years of joyful service.

02-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote

Congratulations on your lucky purchase!