Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 06:02 AM - 5 Likes   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
OK, OK - I lost (I also noticed that the external light button next to the shutter stopped responding, even after drying the camera) and I have contacted our Nordic repair center. However I do put my hopes to what Tjompen1968 writes and that they will have a generous policy. I photograph the great outdoors all year around Nature - Contextphoto and even if it is not action sports a given photo moment could be gone in seconds unless the camera is ready. I have a rain hood but it takes too long to open so a rarely use it. I have been on Pentax since my first MX in the 1980´s and I seriously considered to change to Sony mirrorless before buying the K-1. The final decision point was the superior weather sealing of the Pentax, which has proved itself on my previous Pentax DSLRs over and over again.

Stay safe - and dry out there
Worried I shipped my two precious ones, the K1 II and the K-3, for service last Monday. Without cameras, other than my mobile and a couple of compacts, I have been empty, hollow-eyed and downhearted .

Friday the technician from Pentax Nordic repair center (Kameraservice in Kungsör) called me saying that there was a small leak around the illumination button on top. He changed out the entire top part of the camera - at no cost! The K-3 with a smashed viewfinder and a broken program dial was also fixed in a breeze and at a very decent price. Turnaround time was less than five days, including shipping back and forth with regular mail service!

Now that is a real professional and customer minded service, and all of a sudden I have a new argument to stay on Pentax for many years to come!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CLT-L29  Photo 
02-23-2019, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear both cameras came back like new.
02-23-2019, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this positive account of Pentax warranty service.
02-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a problem with the viewfinder fogging up after a full day in downpouring rain. I figured I would have to send the camera in for repair, but I was surprised after a couple of days with the camera sitting on a warm shelf in our travel trailer the viewfinder cleared up and I haven't had an issue since. Just got back from -37 temperatures in the Yukon and the camera worked wonderfully well. Batteries on the other hand were the biggest challenge in the cold weather.

02-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Friday the technician from Pentax Nordic repair center (Kameraservice in Kungsör) called me saying that there was a small leak around the illumination button on top. He changed out the entire top part of the camera - at no cost! The K-3 with a smashed viewfinder and a broken program dial was also fixed in a breeze and at a very decent price. Turnaround time was less than five days, including shipping back and forth with regular mail service!
Yay!

Steve
03-17-2019, 04:51 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just returned from a week in La Grave in the French alps. My K1 II was back in its good old (sealed) shape and delivered 100% in harsh conditions from -20 deg C to rain. Not sure I have learnt anything from the incident with the previous leak

This is typically how I use the camera for adventures clipped to a Peak Design Capture holder on my avalanche backpack. Skiing like this I have fallen over many times and the only damage has been bruises on me. The Pentax cam and lens are rock solid!

Name:  Pentax K1-1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  130.9 KB Name:  Pentax K1-2.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  122.9 KB

Images from the week here: 2019 Off-piste La Grave - Contextphoto
03-20-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, you should write a letter and send some pictures like this to Pentax. It's a great real world testament, and who knows, you might end up being a feature story on one of their pages where they highlight photographers and Pentax cameras. The big challenge will be figuring out the right contact. Wonder if you reached out to Kenspo if it might get you in the right direction? Hunch is he's not too far from you (relative to everything else)

03-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

You make me want to go to the extreme on my KP!
03-21-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #39
Unregistered User

I just returned from a week in La Grave in the French alps. My K1 II was back in its good old (sealed) shape and delivered 100% in harsh conditions from -20 deg C to rain. Not sure I have learnt anything from the incident with the previous leak

This is typically how I use the camera for adventures clipped to a Peak Design Capture holder on my avalanche backpack. Skiing like this I have fallen over many times and the only damage has been bruises on me. The Pentax cam and lens are rock solid!

Attachment 444527 Attachment 444528

Images from the week here: 2019 Off-piste La Grave - Contextphoto
Exactly how I use my gear. =)