Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
No Spin wanted , rotating front elements!

Hi all,
I'm looking for lenses that don't rotate the front element to focus.

Most primes do not rotate, pk and pka lenses mostly don't , most af zooms do

Good in terms of the front element not rotating for focus:

Pentax F 1.7 50mm doesnt

bad front element rotates:

PentaxF 70-210 does
Sigma 70-300 does

I'm not looking for IQ that can be searched for i just want to find which lenses do not rotate the front element and preferably auto focus

03-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought we had this info in the database, but perhaps it's been deleted as we transitioned over to the more standardized data format. Will add it back for lenses which are confirmed to have it.

Most if not all DA and D FA lenses don't have rotating front elements. With the exception of the FA* 28-70mm, which I believe does rotate, I think this aspect is mostly limited to cheaper F/FA lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I thought we had this info in the database, but perhaps it's been deleted as we transitioned over to the more standardized data format. Will add it back for lenses which are confirmed to have it.

Most if not all DA and D FA lenses don't have rotating front elements. With the exception of the FA* 28-70mm, which I believe does rotate, I think this aspect is mostly limited to cheaper F/FA lenses.
I couldn't find it , there are lens which say internal focusing, but not specifically if the filter ring rotates. I'm playing around with an anamorphic lens so orientation matters as well as cpl and gnd filters. The results with the anamorphic have been surprising. For 50mm it pretty much works wider is useless, lot of light loss (1/160th f2.8 iso 1600 in daylight!
03-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
Hi all,
I'm looking for lenses that don't rotate the front element to focus.

Most primes do not rotate, pk and pka lenses mostly don't , most af zooms do

Good in terms of the front element not rotating for focus:

Pentax F 1.7 50mm doesnt

bad front element rotates:

PentaxF 70-210 does
Sigma 70-300 does

I'm not looking for IQ that can be searched for i just want to find which lenses do not rotate the front element and preferably auto focus
I have or had the following:
zooms: F 35-70, DA 18-55, DA 17-70, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 SMC, DA 55-300 PLM, of these only the F 35-70 has a rotating front element.
primes: F 28, FA 50, all DA Limiteds, DFA 100 Macro WR, DA* 200 and 300, none of these have a rotating front element.
I think it is safe to say that none of the current FA, DA and DFA lenses currently in production have rotating front elements. Many of the current DA zooms are also internal focus so the inner element doesn't move in and out as well doesn't rotate while focusing but will extend when zooming out.

03-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have or had the following:
zooms: F 35-70, DA 18-55, DA 17-70, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 SMC, DA 55-300 PLM, of these only the F 35-70 has a rotating front element.
primes: F 28, FA 50, all DA Limiteds, DFA 100 Macro WR, DA* 200 and 300, none of these have a rotating front element.
I think it is safe to say that none of the current FA, DA and DFA lenses currently in production have rotating front elements. Many of the current DA zooms are also internal focus so the inner element doesn't move in and out as well doesn't rotate while focusing but will extend when zooming out.
Thanks john,

it seems like its a problem with film era Pentax Zoom Lenses having a rotating front element, which is a pity.

there is the tamron 28-200 which seems to be soft with cr and purple fringing, will find out next week, when it arrives
03-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

The FA24-90 doesn't rotate it's front lens, and that could well be considered a "film-era" zoom lens, as it still has an aperture ring.

The FA100-300, the A28-80 and the A35-70 as well are "rotators".
03-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA J 18-35 doesn't rotate the front element either.