Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What software works best with K1ii hdr files?

Just looking for advice before I envest in more software?

03-10-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #2

I presume Ricoh's Digital Camera Utility 5.8.1 and later should work. The problem is that in camera HDR is reported by K1 (ii) users as too subtle for some. See K-1 II In Camera HDR - PentaxForums.com

However "best" also means works for you. In that case I'd explore using your Ricoh Software to split the HDR files. Use a trial version of another HDR software such as On1 Photo RAW 2019, HDR Darkroom or Aurora HDR and decide after that.
03-11-2019, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #3

Note, the command line "dcraw" tool can extract the 3 raw images from the HDR-DNG file as separated TIFF's. After that any HDR Software should be able to work with that.
03-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
Note, the command line "dcraw" tool can extract the 3 raw images from the HDR-DNG file as separated TIFF's. After that any HDR Software should be able to work with that.
Hey, awesome tip, thanks.

03-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Code:
dcraw -s all -w -T -6 HDR-FILE.DNG
03-11-2019, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #6

My current workflow is like this.

1. Capture hdr raw photo in camera
2. Separate hdr raw files with digital camera utility
3. Photomerge them back in Lightroom using SHIFT+CONTROL+H (that way you skip the lightroom photomerge wizard) but only for tripod and static shots.

If you ask me why don't I bracket:
1. I can see if there are any blown highlights in single image right away in preview

2. Single file is created with one name.
3. After creating photomerged image in LR i just delete separated images.

after separating I just get the numbered prefix and still keep the main image name.
03-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but currently (at least in Canada) Aurora HDR 2018 is free. See link below.

Aurora HDR 2019 - HDR Software - Best HDR Photo Editor for Mac & PC | Skylum

03-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Not sure if anyone would be interested, but currently (at least in Canada) Aurora HDR 2018 is free. See link below.

Aurora HDR 2019 - HDR Software - Best HDR Photo Editor for Mac & PC | Skylum
But does Aurora work with HDR-DNG files
03-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote
But does Aurora work with HDR-DNG files
Honestly not sure. Just putting it out there for anyone who might be interested in trying it out.
03-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote
Just looking for advice before I envest in more software?
I've tried several editing programs with HDR - DRG files from my K-1 (not II) and the only one of the half dozen or so I tried that worked was RawTherapee. I haven't been able to download the Ricoh program so haven't tried that.
03-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Raw Therapee can separate the three files, but it won't combine them into an HDR image. I haven't tried it, but I imagine that Pentax's own DCU should be able to edit them as well.
03-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Raw Therapee can separate the three files, but it won't combine them into an HDR image. I haven't tried it, but I imagine that Pentax's own DCU should be able to edit them as well.
What I would like to be able to do is edit the in-camera merged HDR image, the combination of the three files. It is my initial impression that RawTherapee can do that but I haven't had time to fully explore this feature, am new to RawTherapee, and am an ill-informed dunce about photo editing in general. I hope RawTherapee can do that as there seem to be so few programs that can. The other programs simply present one of the three files for editing, not the merged one.
03-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
What I would like to be able to do is edit the in-camera merged HDR image
As far as I can tell, up-to-date Lightroom will do that straight up. The file out of the camera just sits there in Lightroom as a DNG image. Work on it in Lightroom the same as any other DNG.

Last edited by rawr; 03-13-2019 at 07:39 PM.
03-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As far as I can tell, up-to-date Lightroom will do that straight up. The file out of the camera just sits there in Lightroom as a DNG image. Work on it in Lightroom the same as any other DNG.
I could be wrong, but I think with Lightroom, the software just chooses the first image in the three image DNG stack and edits that, ignoring the other two, but admittedly, I am still using the last version of Lightroom 6.
03-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I could be wrong, but I think with Lightroom, the software just chooses the first image in the three image DNG stack and edits that, ignoring the other two, but admittedly, I am still using the last version of Lightroom 6.
I don't have Lightroom but I do have Elements 14 and it appears to me, after a several attempts, that's exactly what Elements does. I would think it would be most likely that LR does the same.