Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My flash won't work with my K1.

I have a k1 with the latest firmware update and am trying to use it with my Pentax AF540FGZ flash. The only way it works is in the full Auto mode. Tried all the other modes and tried all the menu parameters and the shutter simply won't release. Am I missing something? Normally I would work in the TAV mode or full manual but that doesn't work. Even program mode doesn't work. The shutter doesn't release except in Auto mode. If I remove the flash, every mode works normally. I know that the flash is OK because it does work in auto mode. Any ideas?

03-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What mode do you have set on the flash ?

What lens are you using ?
03-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

This is probably a dumb question, but what is your shutter speed set to?
03-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens is mounted? Does it have the "A" contacts on the mount and, if an aperture ring is present, is it on the "A" position? If either is "no", you are limited to full manual or "A"* mode on the flash with shutter speed below the X-sync speed.

Do you have a copy of the flash manual?

Steve

*...meaning auto-thyristor mode using the detector built onto the front of the flash.

03-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
The shutter doesn't release except in Auto mode. If I remove the flash, every mode works normally. I know that the flash is OK because it does work in auto mode. Any ideas?
There seems to be some confusion of terms and what is set on what. The most serious issue is the failure of shutter release.

When the shutter does not release:
  • What exposure mode is the camera in?
  • Camera drive mode?
  • What AF mode is the camera in?
  • What lens is mounted? (Aperture ring in "A" position?)
  • What mode is the flash in (choices are P-TTL, TTL, A, and M)
  • Is the flash in the camera hot shoe?*
To the best of my knowledge there are no conditions where the flash might "gate" shutter release, so it must be something else.

Steve

* As opposed to PC cord, pass-through from a hot shoe adapter, or anything other than simple on-camera flash.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2019 at 09:24 AM.
03-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have found the problem and not sure I really understand what happens, I'll have to really explore it. It was in the menu system in the part where you control shutter release depending on the focus mode. What's funny is that the camera was working perfectly by itself with the old settings but I had to modify them to make the flash work. Go figure. The flash was in PTTL mode.
03-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
What's funny is that the camera was working perfectly by itself with the old settings but I had to modify them to make the flash work.
Well, that is strange. Good luck on working it all out.

Steve

03-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. It seems that focus couldn't be done properly. It explains why changing the parameters solved the problem.