Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is actually a trick to make it work with AF lenses, but that's not for the faint hearted...

You don't even have to activate CIF for this hack, in fact...

In standard af mode (focus priority, af on shutter button), just press on the lens release latch with your ring finger prior to focusing... the motor will turn without engaging the lens, and the camera will only expose when proper focus is detected...

Added bonus: you can still select the af point !

Another way, iirc, is to transform your af lens into a mf one by using some thin tape... not an on-the-fly solution, obviously... but I'll have to check this one again...

---------- Post added 04-24-2019 at 10:55 PM ----------

Ok, I've checked, and the only way to make the tape trick to work is by taping the af coupler. This has the same effect as pushing on the lens release latch while focusing, as the af motor will turn without engaging the lens...

04-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
There is actually a trick to make it work with AF lenses, but that's not for the faint hearted...

You don't even have to activate CIF for this hack, in fact...

In standard af mode (focus priority, af on shutter button), just press on the lens release latch with your ring finger prior to focusing... the motor will turn without engaging the lens, and the camera will only expose when proper focus is detected...

Added bonus: you can still select the af point !
Of course, doing the rotation hack will also trick the camera into thinking it cannot control the aperture, which is quite true; in fact the aperture will be partially stopped down as part of the hack. I thought the wrong hack but still don't recommend running having the AF pawl running free a few millimeters off its lens-side coupling.

Steve

(...I would only do this on a camera or lens I don't care to use again...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-24-2019 at 05:08 PM.
04-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Ok, I've checked, and the only way to make the tape trick to work is by taping the af coupler.
If that is what you found, then you were not taping the correct contact. I have done the tape trick, but only on a lark. I have plenty of lenses that work well natively using CIF, in the rare case when I need it.

Steve
04-24-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I wonder why they limited it to manual focus lenses.
They didn't. CIF was an accidental side-effect (a happy bug) of AF-S (focus priority) fail-over behavior* that was user-discovered back in 2007 by both Pentax and Nikon users (behaviors are similar). It was later incorporated as a configurable option for both systems.

Steve

* Fail-over for the case where the AF/MF button is on AF, but with a manual focus lens mounted.