Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #1

Movie Shake Reduction

Hello all,

Have just started shooting HD movies with my K-1 II, hand held, using Movie Shake Reduction. Getting a lot of "jello", i.e. rolling shutter wiggle, even with very little camera motion. Have tried correcting same with Adobe Premier Pro's Rolling Shutter Repair, using both Warp & Pixel Motion modes, without much effect. Wondering if it's better to just turn off the K-1's Movie Shake Reduction altogether, just stabilizing the image in Premier Pro. Has anyone run into this? I'd be grateful for any guidance.

-Cheers

05-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pl888 Quote
Hello all,

Have just started shooting HD movies with my K-1 II, hand held, using Movie Shake Reduction. Getting a lot of "jello", i.e. rolling shutter wiggle, even with very little camera motion. Have tried correcting same with Adobe Premier Pro's Rolling Shutter Repair, using both Warp & Pixel Motion modes, without much effect. Wondering if it's better to just turn off the K-1's Movie Shake Reduction altogether, just stabilizing the image in Premier Pro. Has anyone run into this? I'd be grateful for any guidance.

-Cheers
Definitely keep it off- the movie SR is purely electronic, and typically (as you've observed) makes matters worse

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2019, 02:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, it's the same with the K-3II. I stabilise in post using VirtualDub.
05-02-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pl888 Quote
rolling shutter wiggle, even with very little camera motion
Every digital camera in the world as rolling shutter when recording videos. It's not the amount of motion that matter, it's the speed of the motion. Hollywood movie makers pan very seldom and when they do they do it very slowly. Normally, it's the subject that move, not the camera. Usually, cam coders are used on a tripod, or on shoulder with cameraman not moving. Various plans are achieved at post processing, by cutting and assembly sequences recorded at different points in time or with more than one camera at different fixed positions and simultaneously recording. There are also video tripods with fluid head to avoid any rapid movement of the camera.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-02-2019 at 03:22 AM.
05-05-2019, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Feedback much appreciated! Oddly, I've found that using the Adobe Premier Pro "Warp Stabilizer" suite rather than the "Rolling Shutter Repair" in isolation, has resolved the issue, in this case – low camera pitch / roll / yaw, no appreciable axial or transverse camera motion.

Results here:

-Cheers