Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 Mark II headphone microphone weirdness

I've upgraded my K-1 to Mark II. The external microphone jack has worked fine with a wide variety of mics. When I plugged in my headphones I could not monitor the audio from the external mic, even while recording video. In fact, the headphones were dead. I tried several headphones and couldn't hear anything.

Later, I found another pair of headphones which worked fine for playback... but, I'm starting to think it was because the external microphone was not plugged in.

Before I drive myself insane, does anyone know if it is possible to monitor audio during video recording? Or, to listen to any audio in the headphone jack with an external microphone connected to the mic jack?

05-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by h.butz Quote
Before I drive myself insane, does anyone know if it is possible to monitor audio during video recording? Or, to listen to any audio in the headphone jack with an external microphone connected to the mic jack?
It is described in the K1 II manual pages 53 and 54. Proper sound volume settings should be set, and there is a specification for suitable external microphones.
05-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Indeed it does - how to set the microphone level and how to set the headphone level. And, that does not answer my question, which is, Can I monitor the audio with my headphones while I'm recording and/or with an external microphone? Or, do I need to make a recording first, then unplug the microphone, plug back in the headphones, and listen to what I just recorded?
05-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before I drive myself insane, does anyone know if it is possible to monitor audio during video recording?
Yes, at least on my K-3, the first model to support the feature. I would not expect them to drop the spec for the K-1/K-1ii.

Or, to listen to any audio in the headphone jack with an external microphone connected to the mic jack?
Lacking an external microphone, I can't test this for you.

Steve

05-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should have no problem monitoring the audio whilst recording. I have done it many times with the K-3 and just tested this with the K-1. I used headphones from an older type iPhone and a Røde Stereomic Pro.
05-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And, that does not answer my question, which is, Can I monitor the audio with my headphones while I'm recording and/or with an external microphone?
The documentation answer your question because it says (reading carefully) that you can listen to audio while recording. Page 54: "You can record and play back movies while listening to the sound by connecting commercially available headphones to the headphone terminal" (I read it and write it for you

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-02-2019 at 02:04 PM.
05-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm still not convinced that it doesn't say you can [first] record and [second] play back movies using the headphones - but, ok. What prompted me to ask if anyone else has experience with this is there is no sound in the headphones during recording and no sound during playback if the microphone is plugged in. I'm not sure if Precision messed up my camera during the Mark II upgrade or if this can be fixed with a firmware update or if I wanted to spend money to have it repaired if I am the only person with this issue.

Thanks for reply.

05-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just tested this empirically. Monitoring while recording DOES work, but after I stopping recording the first clip, the headphone audio cut out. I needed to exit and re-enter video mode to get it back.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks for that, Adam. Sounds like it's a firmware issue.
05-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just tested this empirically. Monitoring while recording DOES work, but after I stopping recording the first clip, the headphone audio cut out. I needed to exit and re-enter video mode to get it back.
Oh! My! If that is not unexpected. Who would have thought! The next question is whether the same is true for factory samples of the K-1ii.

Steve
05-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh! My! If that is not unexpected. Who would have thought! The next question is whether the same is true for factory samples of the K-1ii.

Steve
To clarify, this was on a K-1, not a K-1 II. Perhaps the bug has been fixed (or the feature broken entirely ) on the K-1 II.

However, it's evident the feature is supposed to be there- if it's indeed a firmware problem and it's reproducible, then I'm sure we'll see a fix.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
This may muddy the waters a bit, but...

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.
When I tested our K-1 Mark II with headphones plugged into the camera here I do not hear sound while recording video.
Thanks,
RICOH USA, INC.
I know it's not a video camera but I find this inconvenient. The good news is it's "normal" i.e. not "broken." If it works once then it seems it could be corrected with a firmware update.
05-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This may muddy the waters a bit, but...

I know it's not a video camera but I find this inconvenient. The good news is it's "normal" i.e. not "broken." If it works once then it seems it could be corrected with a firmware update.
Based on the terse response, it is hard to say whether they deemed the behavior "normal" or whether they were confirming your observation. Since the camera's manual infers record time audio monitor and marketing materials are explicit for both the K-1 and K-1ii, this is definitely a Bug with a capital "B" ...

K-1 here...
Features6 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
K-1ii here...
Other features 2 | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
If I understand your and Adam's reports correctly, neither camera supports this feature properly and bug-free and your camera is less capable after the upgrade. Ricoh, we have a problem! What is mildly humorous is that nobody noticed it before, even on the K-1.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.
05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What is the point of having a headphone jack if not for this purpose? This definitely feels like a glitch given what's written in the manuals.

Adam

05-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What is the point of having a headphone jack if not for this purpose? This definitely feels like a glitch given what's written in the manuals.
...as well as in the marketing materials. From the K-1 features section at Ricoh Japan...
QuoteQuote:
You can also record sound in stereo using a stereo microphone (commercial product, not included with the K-1), or monitor it during recording using headphones (commercial product, not included with the K-1).
(The copy for the K-1ii is essentially the same.)

Steve