Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Latest tests for K1mkII at Imaging Resource posted 6-18-2019

Quite interesting. As I mentioned in a post there, I would have liked to have seen a reference video, even from a phone, of how breezy the day was.

Quick takeaways: Handheld PS can work quite well; PS with motion compensation can still show artifacts, sometimes a lot.

06-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps a link to the tests?
06-20-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-1 Mark II Review: A great SLR made better - and upgradeable
06-20-2019, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Quite interesting. As I mentioned in a post there, I would have liked to have seen a reference video, even from a phone, of how breezy the day was.

Quick takeaways: Handheld PS can work quite well; PS with motion compensation can still show artifacts, sometimes a lot.
I use pixel shift a lot. I think doing motion correction in camera isn't worthwhile and it is far better to use a program like Raw Therapee that supports it.

To me, the benefit of hand held pixel shift is not in these sorts of scenes, where you are (hopefully) shooting at low iso with decent shutter speeds. Maybe you can see a hint of difference in detail here, but the place where you should really be able to see the difference is in higher iso situations, say iso 1600 or 6400 where it should significantly reduce noise and probably increase dynamic range versus a single image.

06-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use pixel shift a lot. I think doing motion correction in camera isn't worthwhile and it is far better to use a program like Raw Therapee that supports it.

To me, the benefit of hand held pixel shift is not in these sorts of scenes, where you are (hopefully) shooting at low iso with decent shutter speeds. Maybe you can see a hint of difference in detail here, but the place where you should really be able to see the difference is in higher iso situations, say iso 1600 or 6400 where it should significantly reduce noise and probably increase dynamic range versus a single image.
Ah, thanks for that! I will try that, as I am doing a number of quicker grabs at the museum these days----doing the full Monty with the tripod isn't always possible(weird time constraints involving emergency lighting and museum opening times, odd situation). Normally I am using the Z for my museum work, but I've lately had to use my speedier to work with backup.
06-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
# parts of the review have been updated, btw

The title line should say "3" parts, not "#" parts, but I can't edit the title line.

The SS/PS/DPS section, the Image Quality section, and the Print Quality section all have been either updated or are new.
06-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Their conclusion runs somewhat counter to the noisy others’: “A minor -- but worthwhile -- update to an already-great camera!“

06-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
The title line should say "3" parts, not "#" parts, but I can't edit the title line.

The SS/PS/DPS section, the Image Quality section, and the Print Quality section all have been either updated or are new.
To edit the title line Go Advanced.
06-28-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To edit the title line Go Advanced.
Oh, thanks!