Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any reason to refrain from updating K-1 firmware?

The K-1 just arrived and it has FW 1.41 on it. There are at least 3 newer updates. Is there any reason to hold off updating? Sometimes features are removed or things are made worse. If updating, should I do the remaining ones in order? Or will the most current FW update everything? Camera is working great as is and I don't want to make things worse.
Thanks,
barondla

06-29-2019, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, there's no reason not to update. On the rare occasion that an update actually breaks something, this is always rectified shortly afterwards. In the K-1's case, the latest firmware is quite stable

Just remember to follow best practices when updating, such as having a fresh & fully charged battery, and not interfering with the camera until the update indicates that it is complete.

Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.51 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The K-1 just arrived and it has FW 1.41 on it. There are at least 3 newer updates. Is there any reason to hold off updating? Sometimes features are removed or things are made worse. If updating, should I do the remaining ones in order? Or will the most current FW update everything? Camera is working great as is and I don't want to make things worse.
Thanks,
barondla
Just need to install the latest. It will include the previous updates.
06-29-2019, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

As discussed in past posts....

Make sure battery is fully charged
Update to newest one
Follow directions as written on website

Done.

07-05-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Camera is working great as is and I don't want to make things worse.
In case you find the new version to be worse in any respect, you can also downgrade back to the version you are currently using.

Luckily, the K-1 supports "downgrading" as well as "upgrading".
Can't say I've ever needed to downgrade, but it is very reassuring that one is able to do it.
07-05-2019, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In case you find the new version to be worse in any respect, you can also downgrade back to the version you are currently using.

Luckily, the K-1 supports "downgrading" as well as "upgrading".
Can't say I've ever needed to downgrade, but it is very reassuring that one is able to do it.
Good point Class A. There are components that can't be rolled back. Thinking Sony PS3.
Thanks,
barondla