Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-1 Mark II focusing speed and accuracy ?

Are you all seeing much difference from the K-1?
Thank you.

07-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, there have been some improvements to the AF algorithms which ultimately improved the speed. Here's a detailed test:

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Take K 1, send it in for update, pay, feel better.
K1ii feels faster in tracking mode.
Go for the update, Pentax will update only the firmware of the most recent camera only. Getting better and better.
07-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, there have been some improvements to the AF algorithms which ultimately improved the speed. Here's a detailed test:

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank you, Adam. I actually have both bodies, but am having severe back problems, and haven't been able to get out and use them.

07-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 II AF is excellent.
07-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Thank you, Adam. I actually have both bodies, but am having severe back problems, and haven't been able to get out and use them.
I literally do feel your pain. Been a bad year for my back too. I also own a K1 and K1-II. Hmmmmmmmm. Full frame cameras and bad backs.

I find the K1-II autofocus a bit better. My K1-II does not suffer from shutter shock either so it has become my primary shooter although when in places like Yellowstone I keep both cameras on hand with different lenses installed. There was a youtube video on this where a guy actually measured the autofocus speed and found that the K1-II was a little bit faster as autofocus. Not much, but for a lot of situations it is all that you need.

Here are a few shots I took last April right after I got my K1-II. I went to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge with the camera to check it out. As I got out of my car saw these two geese heading right at me. I grabbed the camera, spun around as they had already flown over me and got these shots as they flew away form me. I think the camera did pretty good. Especially for grab shots with no time to set up for anything.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
07-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I literally do feel your pain. Been a bad year for my back too. I also own a K1 and K1-II. Hmmmmmmmm. Full frame cameras and bad backs.

I find the K1-II autofocus a bit better. My K1-II does not suffer from shutter shock either so it has become my primary shooter although when in places like Yellowstone I keep both cameras on hand with different lenses installed. There was a youtube video on this where a guy actually measured the autofocus speed and found that the K1-II was a little bit faster as autofocus. Not much, but for a lot of situations it is all that you need.

Here are a few shots I took last April right after I got my K1-II. I went to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge with the camera to check it out. As I got out of my car saw these two geese heading right at me. I grabbed the camera, spun around as they had already flown over me and got these shots as they flew away form me. I think the camera did pretty good. Especially for grab shots with no time to set up for anything.
Great shots. Thank you. I guess I'm more interested in focusing accuracy than speed.

07-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Take K 1, send it in for update, pay, feel better.
K1ii feels faster in tracking mode.
Go for the update, Pentax will update only the firmware of the most recent camera only. Getting better and better.
Do you mean that future updates will no longer be available for the K-1, but only for the K-1 II? Is the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade still available? I thought that offer expired some time back. Thanks.
07-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Do you mean that future updates will no longer be available for the K-1, but only for the K-1 II? Is the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade still available? I thought that offer expired some time back. Thanks.
The upgrade is no longer available if you have not signed up for it. I wish I had sent my K1 is for it. My K1-II does not suffer from the shutter shock issue and it would have been interesting to see if the upgrade fixed that issue.
07-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The upgrade is no longer available if you have not signed up for it. I wish I had sent my K1 is for it. My K1-II does not suffer from the shutter shock issue and it would have been interesting to see if the upgrade fixed that issue.
I just wasn't going to let Precision take my camera completely apart.
10-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #11

Focusing speed and accuracy

Good topic. This is something that I have never looked into before, but I was curious about what part does the lens focusing mechanisms play in focusing speed and accuracy?

Last edited by wings; 10-08-2019 at 08:42 AM.
10-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens is a large part of focusing speed and accuracy. The recent D FA lenses like the 70-200 2.8 and the 50 1.4 are much improved in focus speed.