Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The resolution of sensors drops with high ISO anyway, without any NR applied, because the least significant bits of each pixel become random values instead of representing small changes of contrast between adjacent pixels. Typically, professional sport cameras use sensor with lower mega pixel count because it would be a waste of computing power and storage to have a high resolution sensor with more noise per pixel.The idea behind adding NR above a certain ISO is to emulate a sensor with larger pixels, less noise per pixel equivalent and less data to transfer to the SD cards (noise contribute to larger files without contributing anything to image quality), hence the name for it "accelerator". This should have been explained by Ricoh, finding the right words to explain it so everyone can understand.

---------- Post added 05-08-19 at 20:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Also I cannot detect any significant AF speed difference using the D FA 24-70/2.8 and the D FA 28-105 and the D FA 100/2.8 Macro and the D FA 70-200/2.8 on either bodies.
Ah ah, that's very normal. On Pentaxes, the AF speed is limited by the lenses, that's why a 55-300 PLM focuses a lot faster than a DFA24-70 when mounted on the exact same camera. What the K1 II is said to have improved is on the AF C. (Continuous) tracking algorithm , not on the speed of AF.S. So, your observation is correct and your conclusion is wrong. Also, what count in AFS isn't AF speed, it is the lag time between AF lock and exposure, because that lag time is what makes AFS image slightly out of focus when the subject distance to camera is changing.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.
08-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Did you read the comparison review of the Mark I and Mark II?

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Differences are marginal, only the AF-S did really increase. And there is the new hand-held pixle shift.

The sensor is the same, so you had the in built in noise reduction with the MK I as well.
There is much to much fuss about this. RAW format was never unprocessed, how should the pixlewise readout of a sensor get into a RAW file without processing the physical data? By a magic wand probably. The sensor manufacturer did a good job by improving the sensor read out and some people think it affects their possibilities, but no one came up with any negative example, on the contrary the K1 is praised for it's outstanding RAW image quality.
Do not bother about that.

Only reason for me to buy the MK I is the pricing.
But no software processes dynamic pixel shift.
08-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have both and tend to keep my ISO below 400 so no image quality differences. My K1-II does not suffer from shutter shock like my K1 does.
Why would this be, do you know? Regarding shutter shock.

Last edited by TerryL; 08-15-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
08-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Why would this be, do you know? Regarding shutter shock.
I used to notice shutter shock on my K1 quite regularly, especially when using the quite lightweight DFA 28-105. For a long time I avoided shutter speeds between 1/100 and 1/200 sec. However, now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't know whether my technique has improved, or the camera has "worn in" and is no longer so prone to the effect.

08-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I used to notice shutter shock on my K1 quite regularly, especially when using the quite lightweight DFA 28-105. For a long time I avoided shutter speeds between 1/100 and 1/200 sec. However, now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't know whether my technique has improved, or the camera has "worn in" and is no longer so prone to the effect.
My K1 started out fine initially. Then shutter shock developed after a few hundred exposures. I avoid shutter ranges between 1/60 and 1/250 of a second. My K1-II has been rock solid.

TerryL - shutter shock is a known issue on cameras. The Nikon D850 along with other camera models have it too. You just work around it. As to keeping my ISO below 400 it is just a personal quirk of mine. I spent most of my working career at Eastman Kodak. Almost all of that was evaluating image quality in everything from film to the printed page. It has really skews how I look at an image. It made me an image detail and resolution freak of nature. I have used higher ISO's as needed. Usually to push out of the shutter shock range on my K1. The TAv mode on the K1 is an awesome thing. Letting the ISO float within a preset range is a very hand tool to have in your arsenal,

Not limited to the Pentax K1 either. I have noticed it at high shutter speeds (1/2000 sec) on my K3.

Not all K1's suffer from it. My K1-II does not. Medium format reflex cameras like my Bronica ETRSi have a problem called mirror slap. A large heavy mirror moving fast and stopping hard can cause quite a jolt. That camera has a mirror lockup system and the shutters are leaf shutters installed in the lenses to deal with shutter shock.

The K1 is a great camera. Like all tools you just need to get familiar with how it works. That goes for any camera.
10-01-2019, 05:29 AM   #36

I went with the original K1 instead of the K1ii. I also mostly do landscapes and portraits of the kids. So far I cannot complain at all. The extra autofocus speed is not missed for me at all. Couldn't justify the price difference for that being the only major upgrade.
10-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I would like to add something rarely spoken about MK2 - it has better long exposure performance. Cause is unknown but I suspect the accelerator chip is doing something with long exposures. I do not find this bad though, filtering is not similar what happens at higher ISO values. I noted this in 2017 when I used KP extensively and found it trashing many FF cameras when doing multiminute exposures without dark frame subtraction.

10-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original poster came to what I feel was a good deciscion a month and a half ago when this thread was current, BUT, since its back up again...

Anyone trying to make the 1 vs 2 decision should really be either buying a cheap version 1 used now, or waiting until the replacement for the version 2 comes out and either buying a 2 on clearance at that time (how I got my version 1), or just buying the next FF body which I feel will have some very nice improvements learned from experience so far, especially in file handling capability (processing, usb speed, ect) that might make it worth the extra money.
10-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #39
KX5
Forum Member

K1II is better in many ways if you don't care about NR above 1600 iso. Finally i returned mine for this reason. Maybe i was wrong.
perfection is not in this world. Or you wait for a K1 mkiii. It's my option.