08-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting a positive review of the K-1
08-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow that mirrors my own K-1 thoughts pretty much exactly (except I rarely shoot video and so can't really compare that to other cameras I have used).

While I would like to have a small and light FF camera (although I still find the K-01 meets my needs for travelling light), the usability & feature set versus cost of the K-1 out weighs the current competition for me.
08-11-2019, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Wow that mirrors my own K-1 thoughts pretty much exactly (except I rarely shoot video and so can't really compare that to other cameras I have used).

While I would like to have a small and light FF camera (although I still find the K-01 meets my needs for travelling light), the usability & feature set versus cost of the K-1 out weighs the current competition for me.
Meee too! Couldn't care less about movies - if I wanted to do that, I'd have a movie camera. Don't like "touch screens" - they're always doing stuff I didn't intend because of stray "touches" - I don't want to have to be that careful not to touch the wrong thing. The reviewer didn't say "the top LCD screen is too small", but I never look at the thing, anyway. Also, "there's no built-in flash", but an external flash is better, anyway, and, hey, Astrotracer w/built-in GPS!

Jonathan - you might want to take a look at the KP as an upgrade to the K-01. Terrific resolution, pretty much equals the K-1, though with a smaller angle of view.

08-11-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #5

I’m an outdoor photographer and have previously been shooting with a pair of K-3’s. I now shoot with a pair K1 MII’S. I made the switch for all the reasons mentioned by other people posting. The main reason I switched from the rock solid K-3’s is the ability to set the K1 up as a fully manual camera without having to go through a menu of some sort. To explain, with the third dial set to ISO, I have instant access to all three settings (ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed) without having to take my eye off the view finder. I learned photography on an ME and an MX. The K1 perfectly pairs these two excellent cameras and adds the digital advantage of being able to change sensitivity on the fly unlike my old film cameras. I wanted a camera that operates more like a traditional camera and the K1 is it! It allows me to be old school in every way. Thank you Pentax (Ricoh) for 43 years of sheer joy.
08-11-2019, 07:41 PM - 4 Likes   #6

Thanks for sharing my video here! I've been a long time lurker on the forums and thought it was cool to see my video make its way here. Gotta agree with you guys, when I keep hearing on YouTube that presenters want a small and light full-frame camera, it kind of drives me nuts. I do get the desire for less weight and bulk, but is something like an EOS-R with that massive 28-70 really significantly smaller or lighter than our K1's with the 24-70 on it? Maybe one day technology will allow for m4/3 sized full-frame glass, but right now that's where our weight is, haha.

On the video side, I figured I had to mention it. I think everyone knows the K1 isn't built with video in mind, but I searched the net far and wide before I bought my K1 and K70 for video samples to see if it'd be good enough for my amateur video skills on YouTube and found very little. I think the video shows that it's definitely good enough for me and hoped that including more video references might help someone somewhere, haha.

Thanks again for sharing the Pentaxian love guys and gals!
08-11-2019, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome the Forums John

08-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome the Forums John

Thanks Sandy! Looking forward to sharing more on here in the future
08-11-2019, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradford Quote
Thanks for sharing my video here! I've been a long time lurker on the forums and thought it was cool to see my video make its way here. Gotta agree with you guys, when I keep hearing on YouTube that presenters want a small and light full-frame camera, it kind of drives me nuts. I do get the desire for less weight and bulk, but is something like an EOS-R with that massive 28-70 really significantly smaller or lighter than our K1's with the 24-70 on it? Maybe one day technology will allow for m4/3 sized full-frame glass, but right now that's where our weight is, haha.

On the video side, I figured I had to mention it. I think everyone knows the K1 isn't built with video in mind, but I searched the net far and wide before I bought my K1 and K70 for video samples to see if it'd be good enough for my amateur video skills on YouTube and found very little. I think the video shows that it's definitely good enough for me and hoped that including more video references might help someone somewhere, haha.

Welcome to the forum!
Good work with the review!
08-11-2019, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Welcome to pentaxforums.com, John.
08-12-2019, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #11

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone 😊
08-18-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #12

Many thanks for posting this. Excellent review John and glad to see your on the forum.
09-06-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #13

Hope you get to use the DFA* 50mm soon, it's a world apart from most of the other Pentax lenses.
09-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Hope you get to use the DFA* 50mm soon, it's a world apart from most of the other Pentax lenses.

I'd love to get my hands on one. I'd really like to try a lot of the limited series lenses, as well as the star stuff, both on APS-C and the K1. Had to sell my K1 to pay a few bills, but I'm hanging onto my K70 as long as I can. They're such awesome photography tools.