Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual lens on K1

I have had some nice shots with vintage glass on K3 and now K1. I have been inputting the focal length when turning on the camera after switching to manual lens aperture. I'm assuming so this is to enable correct shutter speed with the green button. Is there a way to input focal length manually? I was using for example a vintage 20mm lens and the nearest in the drop-down list on the K1 is 35mm which is quite a difference.
Thanks for any advice.
Don.

08-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The focal length you input when you power on the camera is for the Shake Reduction. It does not affect metering with the green button.
08-21-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

The input of the focal length is used to properly control shake reduction. I don't think it has any effect in shutter speed.

Thanks,
Ismael
08-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a manual lens mounted, when you turn on the camera, the cameras will ask for you to input the lenses focal length manually by using the scroll wheel to select the "correct" one. Now it's possible (I haven't run into it) that you might be using a lens with an unusual focal length that's not listed, and it that's the case, you'd just have to choose one that's close. I use a M20mm lens on my K-1 regularly, so there is a choice for that lens focal length. Not sure why you're not seeing that option. Maybe not scrolling far enough? Also, make sure the camera custom menu is set to allow for the A setting so you can adjust your aperture accordingly on the lens.

08-21-2019, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh I see. I was misunderstanding the process then. Many thanks for enlightening me.
Don.
08-21-2019, 01:04 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's interesting.... I love modern glass. It's just amazing. Sharp, fast, excellent IQ. Easy. But I find I have the most fun shooting with older glass. Taking the time to compose, focus, review, think... it's downright therapeutic. I have a M20mm that I've owned since dirt was new, that has found a new life on my K-1 (it was pretty useless on my crop sensor bodies). And I have a Leitex converted Nikkor 135mm f3.5, and Bronica 150mm f3.5 (Kudos to Fenwoodian for making this lens available on the Marketplace) that are just a joy to use. I probably use those three lenses 80% of the time these days.
08-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd be surprised if 20mm wasn't in the list. That said, there's no way to input a custom value. Just select the closest one and you should be fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Unregistered User

One interesting feature of the Pentax Q cameras is that you must input the exact focal length when using manual lenses, down to a tenth of a millimeter. I wonder if a firmware upgrade in the future could enable that on the Pentax DSLRs, the menus are similar.
08-21-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another mistake of mine. I was just scrolling up and down the values displayed on left of screen which goes from 35 to 1000mm and not clicking right to select more values.
Thanks for correcting me.
Don.
08-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Unregistered User

You can absolutely input 20mm. Just use the rear scroll wheel. The list contains the latest focal lengths you have used.
08-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd be surprised if 20mm wasn't in the list. That said, there's no way to input a custom value. Just select the closest one and you should be fine.
20mm is one of the default options, I use it with my 21mm lens.

Tas
08-21-2019, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
One interesting feature of the Pentax Q cameras is that you must input the exact focal length when using manual lenses, down to a tenth of a millimeter. I wonder if a firmware upgrade in the future could enable that on the Pentax DSLRs, the menus are similar.
Yes wouldn't that be great and even better with say a decimal point so you can identify individual lenses.
08-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I understand it, some lenses aren't really the focal length printed on them when lab tested. So decimal point accuracy in the camera may be unnecessary, unless you find a lab test that says your 20mm lens is actually 21.2mm. I understand wanting to squeeze every last bit of benefit from the SR system, but I'm sure it has its limitations.
08-22-2019, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
As I understand it, some lenses aren't really the focal length printed on them when lab tested. So decimal point accuracy in the camera may be unnecessary, unless you find a lab test that says your 20mm lens is actually 21.2mm. I understand wanting to squeeze every last bit of benefit from the SR system, but I'm sure it has its limitations.
You misunderstand - Many of us have several say 50mm lenses of different make/model. My A 50 1.4 could be 50.1, My M50 1.17 could be 50.2 etc.
08-22-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
So decimal point accuracy in the camera may be unnecessary
Actually, on the Q it can make a difference with the fisheyes, some of which are under 3mm.