Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Question about live view

when using live view, is there a noticeable delay to when the screen updates?

On my k5iis, it takes about a second for the screen to update when I use live view. Like when I move to look at something else, there’s a delayed reaction to what appears on the screen. I find myself avoiding it but was hoping that it’s better on the k1

08-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tbguy Quote
when using live view, is there a noticeable delay to when the screen updates?

On my k5iis, it takes about a second for the screen to update when I use live view. Like when I move to look at something else, there’s a delayed reaction to what appears on the screen. I find myself avoiding it but was hoping that it’s better on the k1
There is no significant display latency (on either camera). What you're likely seeing is the SR system trying to stabilize the frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
That was it! Thanks for pointing that out.
08-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have noticed a delay with my mirrorless Samsungs (NX1 and NX100) when taking moving the camera from pointing downwards in a shaded area to a scene in bright sunlight. The live view display goes from completely overexposed to normal. It takes a second or three. I am not sure if it is the processor, sensor or the display that causes the delay. Very annoying though, and it sometimes means a missed shot on the street. I haven't seen this on my Pentax K-x but I seldomly use it for street photography.

Of course, in an SLR this never happens, but I have wondered about it. If the sensor needs time to react to the sudden change light, surely it would lead to wrong exposures? I haven't seen any complaints about this sort of thing ever. That rules out the sensor.

I have gotten one or two artistic/abstract shots this way, Perhaps it worth exploring further, but it would be too much like abuse of gear.

08-25-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have noticed a delay with my mirrorless Samsungs (NX1 and NX100) when taking moving the camera from pointing downwards in a shaded area to a scene in bright sunlight. The live view display goes from completely overexposed to normal. It takes a second or three. I am not sure if it is the processor, sensor or the display that causes the delay. Very annoying though, and it sometimes means a missed shot on the street. I haven't seen this on my Pentax K-x but I seldomly use it for street photography.
Isn't that because exposure is locked?
The viewfinder just show you what the picture would look like. It is often possible to turn off exposure preview in EVF.

My Pentax DSLR only lock exposure with half press with OVF, not in LV.
QuoteQuote:
Of course, in an SLR this never happens, but I have wondered about it. If the sensor needs time to react to the sudden change light, surely it would lead to wrong exposures? I haven't seen any complaints about this sort of thing ever. That rules out the sensor.

I have gotten one or two artistic/abstract shots this way, Perhaps it worth exploring further, but it would be too much like abuse of gear.
08-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Liveview uses an effective ISO (gain applied to the sensor output) which varies depending on scene conditions. Usually the lens you're using is fully open for Liveview so effective ISO has to be reduced for bright conditions to keep from washing the image out (shutter speed can't be adjusted).

This is done on the fly so when you go from a dim scene to a bright scene in Liveview, it takes a short interval for the camera to adjust the ISO which is what Wasp described. It has nothing to do with image lag and the image itself is almost an instantaneous view of what is coming through the lens. It's kind of like turning the lights on when you go to the bathroom at night - takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust but what you're seeing isn't delayed.

Note that the ISO is returned to the dialed in value when a picture is taken at the camera calculated f-stop and shutter speed (for obvious reasons - to get the exposure right). Also if you stop the lens down for a DOF preview, the ISO is adjusted to compensate for the iris being reduced in size so the Liveview image stays about the same brightness. Sometimes this can cause flaring when coming out of DOF and the lens opens to its full extent. Still, very little if any image lag.